Sea Lion excursion at Chankanaab

no1volman

If you combine it with something else, I think you'll be happy. If you just sign up for swimming with the sea lions, you will probably be disappointed. You don't actually swim with the sea lions. You basically just stand there while she talks about them and then everyone takes turns taking pictures with one sea lion...he has a hoop, one where he kisses you and one with him doing something else. There isn't any interaction other than taking the picture with the sea lion. We combined it with scuba diving with the dolphin and that was absolutely incredible and I would highly recommend. Chankanaab Park was a fun day and it's a beautiful facility/beach/bars/food. Anything you choose, allows you to spend the day at the park and see the free sea lion show (that was fun). Don't waste your money, though, if you are just signing up to swim with the sea lion only. It's a bit deceiving and you don't really swim with them. I would recommend combining that with something else. The pictures did turn out really cool but you have to buy them from the facility.

Just let me know if you have any other questions.

We were there last month and purchased the sea lion & manatee swim combo online & then added the dolphin encounter when we got there. Out of all three, we liked the sea lion swim the most! They do make all the swims about the pictures (which are very expensive). The sea lion swim was the only one that was organized, the trainer told us a lot about the sea lions and made it the most enjoyable. The manatee swim was VERY unorganized and we just stood in the water wondering where our trainer was and what we were supposed to be doing for a long time. The dolphin encounter had way too many people with very little interaction time. If we could do it over again, we would have done the sea lion only and then had more time to enjoy the Chankanaab park.

We have visited Blue Lagoon when in Nassau a few years ago and participated in the dolphin swim there - their program was far superior to the one offered by Dolphin Discovery in Chankanaab park.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
Will the allow you to bring an underwater camera with you. We are a group of 4 considering this.

If you are just snorkeling and taking pics, there is nothing they can do about your camera. However, if you are wanting to take pics underwater for various "swims/interactions/scuba diving, they won't let you . They take all of the pics and sell them to you. They are expensive but I purchased all of the pics from scuba diving with the dolphin and because it was a "once in a lifetime" experience, felt it was worth every penny!!! The pictures came out great and they sold me the CD or memory stick...can't remember which but it had all of the pictures they took.

• 1 month later...

We went there last year and did the manatee and sea lion excursion. Luna the sea lion was adotable. Very obedient with the trainer and very entertaining. Dh (43) and I (41) did it and really loved it. The only downside was no cameras and although they did take a lot of pics they were super expensive.

The manatee was also very good. They gave us about 10 heads of romaine each and you fed them one leaf at a time. A little scary at first because they latch onto you but I got used to it and ended up loving it. The Dolphin encounter was about amost twice the price and we thought the manatees and sea lion would be enough. Next time we are their we will do the dolphins. If you do go check out the alliators. They just kind of lay around but they are massive.

We were there last month and purchased the sea lion & manatee swim combo online & then added the dolphin encounter when we got there. Out of all three, we liked the sea lion swim the most! They do make all the swims about the pictures (which are very expensive). The sea lion swim was the only one that was organized, the trainer told us a lot about the sea lions and made it the most enjoyable. The manatee swim was VERY unorganized and we just stood in the water wondering where our trainer was and what we were supposed to be doing for a long time. The dolphin encounter had way too many people with very little interaction time. If we could do it over again, we would have done the sea lion only and then had more time to enjoy the Chankanaab park.

We had a very similar experience back in 2013. I thought the manatees would be the highlight of the trip, the kids though the dolphins would be but in the end we all agreed that the sea lions were the best, in part because of the excellent trainer and also because our family of 6 were the only participants. The animals were all wonderful but there were way too many people for the dolphin swim, the manatee swim trainer was way more interested in flirting with the teenage girls who were also in our swim than anything else. In addition to the hoop, kiss, and hug stuff out of the water, we also got some play time in the pool.

• 3 years later...

can anyone who has done the sea lion  and manatee experience tell me how you get out of the pool when it is over. ie: is there a ladder/steps or do you have to hoist yourself back up onto the platform. Have a parent who I'm sure can get in the pool but not sure could get out without climbing steps or ladder.

thanks

KJ