Parking for San Pedro-pier or crowne plaza?

peak17

We will be driving to our cruise and staying at the Crowne Plaza the night prior. It looks like it's a wash for the cost, the pier for 7 days is $126, and the hotel with shuttle is $125. I'm tending to think pier to avoid the shuttle crowd. Any thoughts?

We were there 1-6-17. We walked to and from the ship on the Esplanade. It avoided the shuttle hassle and it was beautiful weather both ways. It's just under a mile and we only had two rolling bags. It was a great way to start and end the trip. We beat the shuttle by walking off the ship at 8am after breakfast in the dining room so we got our car right away.

edit: If the cost is the same I think I would avoid the hotel parking and just be able to walk to your car.

dz

Edited by CA Dave

We were at the CP on 1/3/17 for an overnight which was cheaper & allowed us to minimize traffic by driving midday the day before the cruise. It was cheaper than paying for 15 days of parking at the port and was relaxing...until taking the shuttle.

Unlike the Doubletree Cabrillo Beach, the CP does not accept shuttle reservation times. Shuttles officially began at 1000 but the driver said to arrive sooner. As he'd drop off disembarking passengers he could take us earlier. So we arrived early to only find a line outside & when the shuttle arrived more passengers came from the lobby resulting in chaos. Thankfully our luggage got on the shuttle with us to arrive at the ship about 1015.

At the end of the cruise we had the latest disembarkation time & was at the shuttle pick up location shortly after 1000. Unlike the DT which had a pick up location sign & sign up sheet, we had to guess that we'd be picked up at the same spot we were dropped off. We had just missed the shuttle but other passengers said they were told it would return within 15-20 minutes. That time passed & calling them again were told 15-20 minutes & after being told this again & waiting an hour myself & another guy walked 0.8 miles (15 minutes) to the CP. We returned with our cars to pick up our wives & luggage but it wasn't a good experience.

You can decide what's best for you but I'd never do it again unless it was considerably cheaper than parking at the port. And I would consider the DT which is further away however their shuttle service is apparently much better organized.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We will be driving to our cruise and staying at the Crowne Plaza the night prior. It looks like it's a wash for the cost, the pier for 7 days is $126, and the hotel with shuttle is $125. I'm tending to think pier to avoid the shuttle crowd. Any thoughts?

If the question is driving in the day of the cruise and parking at the pier versus driving in the day before, staying at the CP and parking there...and, if the extra vacation day is no big deal...I would take the Crowne Plaza. And I wouldn't worry about the shuttle.

The walk from the Crowne Plaza to the terminal is way easier than most people think (unless you've got mobility issues)...especially with wheeled luggage (of course, you could always drive the luggage to the terminal, drop it off, then turn around and go back to the CP to park and walk back to the terminal). Depending on which berth your ship is in, the walk is between .6 and .8 miles, entirely flat, only one main street to cross and fairly interesting...it's one block from the CP to Harbor Blvd., cross the street and walk along the waterfront, past the USS Iowa and right to your ship...

Getting there a night early means you can relax stress-free and feel like your vacation has already started. You can grab a nice dinner in one of the many reasonably priced, casual nearby restaurants...then sleep in the morning of the cruise rather than deal with traffic and driving that morning.

After the cruise, you can take a nice stroll back to pick up the car...or one can stay with the luggage a few minutes while the other gets the car...

IMHO...

Edited by Bruin Steve

If the question is driving in the day of the cruise and parking at the pier versus driving in the day before, staying at the CP and parking there...and, if the extra vacation day is no big deal...I would take the Crowne Plaza. And I wouldn't worry about the shuttle.

The walk from the Crowne Plaza to the terminal is way easier than most people think (unless you've got mobility issues)...especially with wheeled luggage (of course, you could always drive the luggage to the terminal, drop it off, then turn around and go back to the CP to park and walk back to the terminal). Depending on which berth your ship is in, the walk is between .6 and .8 miles, entirely flat, only one main street to cross and fairly interesting...it's one block from the CP to Harbor Blvd., cross the street and walk along the waterfront, past the USS Iowa and right to your ship...

Getting there a night early means you can relax stress-free and feel like your vacation has already started. You can grab a nice dinner in one of the many reasonably priced, casual nearby restaurants...then sleep in the morning of the cruise rather than deal with traffic and driving that morning.

After the cruise, you can take a nice stroll back to pick up the car...or one can stay with the luggage a few minutes while the other gets the car...

IMHO...

That's a great description of the benefits of staying at the CP & walking if necessary. We considered walking but for our 15-day cruise we decided that walking to the ship with 2 large, 2 carry on & a garment bag was too much to roll to the ship. I've read posts that accessing cars in valet parking (included in the stay & sail package) can be difficult. Our valet drove the shuttle but we might have been able to request that our car was easily accessible until sailing. While the Doubletree lacks nearby restaurants, I've read that they provide free shuttle service to restaurants & markets and have a better organized shuttle service.

CP does have many more dining options within easy walking distance & we enjoyed lunch at the SP Brewing restaurant you've previously recommended.

Both hotels have their pros & cons but it's great to arrive the day before and have a short shuttle ride or walking to the ship. And being cheaper than port parking for our 15-day cruise, it was also cost effective & the savings paid for our lunch.

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's a great description of the benefits of staying at the CP & walking if necessary. We considered walking but for our 15-day cruise we decided that walking to the ship with 2 large, 2 carry on & a garment bag was too much to roll to the ship. I've read posts that accessing cars in valet parking (included in the stay & sail package) can be difficult. Our valet drove the shuttle but we might have been able to request that our car was easily accessible until sailing. While the Doubletree lacks nearby restaurants, I've read that they provide free shuttle service to restaurants & markets and have a better organized shuttle service.

CP does have many more dining options within easy walking distance & we enjoyed lunch at the SP Brewing restaurant you've previously recommended.

Both hotels have their pros & cons but it's great to arrive the day before and have a short shuttle ride or walking to the ship. And being cheaper than port parking for our 15-day cruise, it was also cost effective & the savings paid for our lunch.

As I said, you could always have driven your luggage over, checked it, then re-parked at the CP. Also, I believe you can park in the self parking area and bypass the valet...makes things a bit simpler.

As I said, you could always have driven your luggage over, checked it, then re-parked at the CP. Also, I believe you can park in the self parking area and bypass the valet...makes things a bit simpler.

Good to know about self parking although I've read posts that sometimes self parking was not allowed for the package's included valet parking however I don't have any personal experiences.

The time we stayed at the DT many years ago my wife drove me & the luggage to the ship earlier. She returned to the DT to park & get a noon shuttle which was the earliest time available when we arrived at the hotel the previous day.

So, has anyone had problems parking at the pier? We are two females who will not be hauling our luggage from the crowne plaza to the ship on their little wheels.:D.

The Port of LA is my "homeport" & have never had any parking problems. I've never used it but seem to recall seeing a parking lot shuttle for passengers needing assistance.

So, has anyone had problems parking at the pier? We are two females who will not be hauling our luggage from the crowne plaza to the ship on their little wheels.:D.

Parking at the pier in LA could not be any easier. There is abundant parking...and a lot of it is virtually across the street from the front doors to the terminal. We usually get there around 11:00 am...and, since lots of people have recently left from the disembarking cruise(s), and because there are employees who leave around then as well, there are a LARGE number of open spots within a few feet of the gate to the terminal. When you enter the lot, just make a turn to your left and keep going to the end of the rows...

Last cruise, we parked (second car from the end of one of the rows), took our luggage from the car and walked about 30 feet--literally--and were met by one of the baggage crew, with a cart, before we even crossed the street to the terminal.

Of course, if you get there a little later and you are not sure if you'll find one of those prime spots, you can, rather than immediately enter the lot, stay on the circular drive around the lot until you get to the front of the terminal...and pop your trunk there. The baggage guys will come over and help you lift your luggage out and take it away from you right there...Then just continue back around, enter the lot and park.