Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

Hi - we have been on several disney cruises in the last few years and my husband and my two boys have always worn nice kaki short to dinner every night (and never felt awkward or out of place). We are traveling on the Liberty in March - - how acceptable is it for them to wear shorts to dinner (MTD)? Thx!

Not. Long pants for adults. How old are the boys?? Our grandsons at age 6 wore long khaki pants. Nice shorts would have been acceptable for them but not much older. It is nice restaurant style. Your husband should have long pants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi - we have been on several disney cruises in the last few years and my husband and my two boys have always worn nice kaki short to dinner every night (and never felt awkward or out of place). We are traveling on the Liberty in March - - how acceptable is it for them to wear shorts to dinner (MTD)? Thx!

On our last cruise on the Oasis my husband wore nice shorts to the dining room every night (except formal nights) and never felt out of place. When the dress code says "Casual" I think they expect to see some shorts.

A lot of people on these boards will disagree, so get ready for some backlash. But honestly, in our experience it was no big deal.

Speaking for ourselves, we are casual 24/7 at home so for dinner on a cruise, we look forward to getting out of the shorts we have worn all day long and dressing up a little. We look at it as going out to a very nice restaurant. Now a Denny's or other very casual restaurant, especially during our desert summers, then shorts are mostly worn.

On our last cruise on the Oasis my husband wore nice shorts to the dining room every night (except formal nights) and never felt out of place. When the dress code says "Casual" I think they expect to see some shorts.

A lot of people on these boards will disagree, so get ready for some backlash. But honestly, in our experience it was no big deal.

I agree 100% with this...RCI is quickly becoming very casual...much to the disappointment of some on these boards.

I personally think the ones in "old" tuxedo's and "old" out dated prom dresses or mother of the bride dresses are much more out of fashion than those in nice casual attire. JMHO

After cruising since the early 1960's (20+) with RCI...like it or not people...times are changing.

It was hit or miss on our last Summer August Allure sailing.

Some nights we would see grown men in shorts in the MDR, and other nights long pants.

But, how can you not say a kid is not dressed well, when they look great in shorts. I think children being kids, can look dressed up in those matching short coordinated tops.

I guess some adults do not like to follow the guidelines and make their own rules for themselves.

Nice dress shorts on adults ..............................are still shorts.

Just saying.

Many may disagree, but you have the perfect opportunity to expose your young gentlemen to eating in finer restaurants and the appropriate attire and what fork to use.

Some day they will go to a wedding, a job interview etc and know what to expect.

Yes, you will see shorts, we have also seen people turned away for wearing them. You can probably get away with it, but why throw away a golden opportunity?

Have a nice cruise.

Not appropriate on Liberty. Jeans, and cowboy boots, however, would not be out of place.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They'll be fine.

My husband and boys wore shorts every night on our last cruise and will do the same on our next. Except formal night. No. One. Cared.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How do you know "no one cared?" Just because people are too polite to say anything doesn't mean they don't consider it rude and disrespectful to ignore the written rules which specifically prohibit shorts. Don't care if people dress casually on formal night as that is just a suggestion rather than a rule - there is a difference.

The Cruise Compass specifically says "no short pants" on the description of casual dress at dinner. It really bothers me when people wear shorts to dinner, especially on formal nights. I was happy to see this enforced on Grandeur (very unusual) when men in shorts were turned away and I let the Head Waiter know.

I voiced a a formal complaint to RCI headquarters and received a phone call saying that they tell all ship restaurant officers to enforce the requirement but unfortunately aren't aware when they don't.

I know this shouldn't bother me but for some reason it really does. It may go back to when we started cruising 18 years ago when DH was "forced" to dress for dinner against his will. Now he loves it.

How do you know "no one cared?" Just because people are too polite to say anything doesn't mean they don't consider it rude and disrespectful to ignore the written rules which specifically prohibit shorts. Don't care if people dress casually on formal night as that is just a suggestion rather than a rule - there is a difference.

Am I supposed to care that some stranger or two among 6000 or so didn't care for my kids dinner attire? [emoji28] I don't think so.

We had an awesome cruise and thoroughly enjoyed our dinners as a family. Plan to have just a good a time in 2 weeks.

I knew this would happen when I saw this thread.

There are the "We want people to follow the rules so that we can enjoy the elegant atmosphere without seeing people dressed for Disneyland in the main dining room" folks versus the "It's our vacation and we'll dress how we want so lighten up" folks.

Really, the fancy dressers should lighten up and not let it ruin their vacation, but the shorts and flipflops folks really should be more respectful of the fact that the cruise lines are trying to preserve an elegant atmosphere that is sadly becoming more and more rare.

Can't we all just get along.

For the record, nothing ruins my vacation, but we dress up and I will confess that I laugh when someone gets turned away for not meeting the clearly printed dress code. They should have known better.

While society and cruising are becoming more casual, there is literally a written rule that says no shorts. It's in the compass, and on a sign at the dining room. As Bob mentioned it rarely seems to be enforced, although some ships are stricter on this. Grandeur is regularly mentioned as on each ship that does enforce it but on most ships you will see people in shorts.

So it comes down to how comfortable are you with breaking the rule, and with teaching your children to break the rule.

I agree 100% with this...RCI is quickly becoming very casual...much to the disappointment of some on these boards.

I personally think the ones in "old" tuxedo's and "old" out dated prom dresses or mother of the bride dresses are much more out of fashion than those in nice casual attire. JMHO

After cruising since the early 1960's (20+) with RCI...like it or not people...times are changing.

In my opinion, I think dressing up as you describe will always be in style. Never mind the aesthetics, but it demonstrates an effort in terms of time, planning, packing, etc that speaks well to a person's sense of the occasion and privilege of dining at sea with fellow cruisers. It's really a kind of work ethic in my book. Greater effort and care in how one presents in public will always be stylish, regardless of the results of those efforts.

In terms of popularity, I agree. I've always dressed nicely but am thinking hard about it for next cruise, may leave the suits at home. Must be getting lazy.

For the OP, you've probably got your answer, but yes the signage and cruise literature will likely say no shorts at dinner, but it will not be enforced, you won't be the only ones, and no one will make you feel bad, they'll just vent about it on these boards. Shorts are officially allowed in MDR for lunch and breakfast.

For some reason, and maybe because of the heat in summer in Galveston and Caribbean, we see more shorts in MDR. There is a written rule that suggests you wear long pants, but I think it is up to the discretion of the restaurant manager at the time. If you dress nice, and don't look like Sasquatch with shorts and a "wife beater" on, you will probably not run into any problem. On the other hand...., they have a rule they can use if needed

This doesn't specifically address your question regarding the main dining room, but I'm just returning from Navigator and I experienced two reprimands over dress code: the first, a woman was taking her 3 or 4 year old daughter into the windjammer. The little girl only had on a bathing suit and the crew member working at the entrance by the hand sanitizer machines told the woman she had to have shorts on her daughter to be able to come in and eat. I was surprised by this, consider the girls age and it being the Windjammer. The second incident was when I went for sushi at Izumi after leaving the pool and was turned away for having a tank top. I had to go grab a tshirt from my room in order to eat there.