Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

Personally I think most people do not enjoy the formal dress situation on vacation, but recognize some do. Perhaps the best solution would be splitting The MDR into two areas. As for me, I love lobster and other food I cannot pronounce. I just would rather dine in what

I feel comfortable wearing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personally I think most people do not enjoy the formal dress situation on vacation, but recognize some do. Perhaps the best solution would be splitting The MDR into two areas. As for me, I love lobster and other food I cannot pronounce. I just would rather dine in what

I feel comfortable wearing.

Explain to me what is formal about a pair of slacks or khakis and a collared shirt? How is this so difficult. You go to a nice restaurant, you dress up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Explain to me what is formal about a pair of slacks or khakis and a collared shirt? How is this so difficult. You go to a nice restaurant, you dress up a bit.

It has been explained many times. You are ignoring the explanation. :confused:

MDR looks nice but is noisy; often chaotic, quality of food no longer best meal on ship. If you want to dress up, please enjoy doing so.

We've been on many Carnival cruises and have seen men wearing shorts in the main dining room. Personally, I do not think it should be allowed & if you want to wear shorts then eat in the other areas offered. For those of us that pack and wear what the rules say it's annoying. Furthermore, some people will always push the limits by wearing cut off shorts which was seen on the cruise we just got off of!

I can see where JVilleGal coming from and agree with what she is trying to say.

On formal nights you don't have to wear full tux or suit for men or long dress for women. What men can do is just put a pair of trousers/long pants/slacks/khakis with a short sleeve collared shirt/polo shirt on rather than a pair of shorts and t-shirts.

I can see a full tux/suit could be uncomfortable and not for all on vacation but it wouldn't be too much effort or discomfort to wear a pair of long pants for dinner. I also wouldn't call dressed in long pants and polo shirt as dressing up.

This is how I see it but everyone can do whatever they want and it is not going to affect my dinner experience.

We've been on many Carnival cruises and have seen men wearing shorts in the main dining room. Personally, I do not think it should be allowed & if you want to wear shorts then eat in the other areas offered. For those of us that pack and wear what the rules say it's annoying. Furthermore, some people will always push the limits by wearing cut off shorts which was seen on the cruise we just got off of!

But Carnival specifically allows it on non-Elegant nights. They ARE wearing what the rules say. Did you read the rules or just making assumptions?

Seems confusing, on elegant nights, Khaki's seem to be frowned upon. :confused:

Wellll khakis aren't exactly Elegant but they are neat & tidy. Generally khakis would fall into the Casual category but I'm absolutely sure many on this board would object to that description. Some boards have over the top discussions about Blue Jeans in the dining room because some Cruise lines specifically do not allow them. Even so called Dressy Blue jeans (you know the $400 kind ;) )

The subject of following the posted dress code should be simple but many people feel these policies should not apply to them. Even when they knew about these expectations before booking with that cruise line. That's the confusing part.

As always, this is just my opinion. I will continue to comply with the dress code and others should make that decision for themselves.

Edited by JVilleGal

Honestly, I don't care what anyone wears and I most likely wouldn't notice if someone was wearing shorts. My boys are older now but when we first started cruising, there were signs posted at the entrance to the dining room advising that shorts were not permitted dinner. The same thing was posted in the Compass every day.

All kids are different but my guys would not have felt comfortable disregarding the rule, regardless of whether or not it was enforced. I even told them they could wear shorts if they wanted and they refused.

I would have a chat with your kids and let them know what the policy is and just be sure they would be comfortable ignoring it. Many times kids don't want to stand out in a crowd.

Even though I would rather a very relaxed dress code, I try to be with in the rules. Having said that, I still wish they would either abolish it or offer a venue with the same level of food in a more relaxed atmosphere for those who like to stay casual while on vacation. I hate ties, I wore one to work every day and I don't even want to be buried in one!

We sailed Carnival valor April 2016. Originally hadn't planned on going to dinner on formal night, but the last minute decided to do it my husband and teenage son only had nice khaki shorts with a nice polo shirt. We were turned away from the dining room for that night. But all other nights they were able to wear their nice shorts with polo shirts without a problem

It bothers me when people make statements like- "a majority of people don't like to dress up". How do you know? I've traveled with 10 different people, and we ALL loved formal nights! AND the women I've cruised with have worn nice dresses every night- because we want to! Cruising (and weddings and funerals) are the only time I wear a dress, so it's not like I'm a fancy type of gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
It bothers me when people make statements like- "a majority of people don't like to dress up". How do you know? I've traveled with 10 different people, and we ALL loved formal nights! AND the women I've cruised with have worn nice dresses every night- because we want to! Cruising (and weddings and funerals) are the only time I wear a dress, so it's not like I'm a fancy type of gal.

I am sure it bother those who do not like to dress up when someone looks down on them. just saying

It becomes obvious after the first formal night when the dressed up people see others that don't care to dress as formally. They slack off considerably on subsequent nights to relax with the more casual clothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, you were turned away?? I've never seen that. From my perspective, I think most people do try to be fancy on formal nights. I think the husband should at least be in pants and a dress shirt. I used to dress my boys in little matching shorts and jackets like a shorts suit. I thought it was cute. Or you could dress all the guys alike and have a guy picture made.

We are on Liberty this week and have been trying to obey the dress suggestion but my 10 year old is sNOT happy because everytime he walks into specialty or MDR, he sees people in shorts. Dress shorts - but still shorts!!

On formal night last night I did see kids in short suits and several adults in jeans and flip flops. I'm sure DH and DS will be wearing dress shorts to dinner tonight - mainly because I have to get their clothes packed.