Dinner attire - men/boys in nice shorts?

Houstonmom1

Wow- what a discussion--- about nothing! It is so easy for a man to just wear long pants for dinner in a nice restaurant. It so easy to just follow some rules, and have nothing to worry about. It is so easy, if you feel like being extra casual to just eat dinner at Windjammer or get room service.

First, we abide by the rules but could care less what others wear. We don't let it bother us.

It is a discussion about something. You want to hold on to things of the past.

On last weeks cruise, on Allure, Staff and Officers were prohibited from dressing up. Dress attire was very casual. Royal is an inclusive Cruise Line.

BTW, officers and staff were glad to get back into their normal dress attire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Must resist, must resist, oh to heck with it, I just can't stand it.

It's about aesthetics. Why do they have nice artwork? Why do they have nice tablecloths and napkins? Why does the food have a nice presentation? Why do they paint the ship? Why do they decorate the lounges? Why the flowers? Why the trees? No one can explain why the human brain enjoys the way these things look, just as no one can explain why the human brain likes nice clothes, and makeup, and hairstyles. But yet it does, it really does.

Some thing look nice, and some don't. It's very jarring when clothes someone is wearing are out of sync with the rest of the environment. If you can't see that, I'm not sure whether to be jealous or sympathetic. Like the tone deaf person who isn't bothered by a slightly flat note, but yet just doesn't get the music in the same way. That's the best way I can explain it, but if you don't understand, you never will.

I realize this sound a but heavy, so let me conclude by saying it's not that big a deal. just as the slightly flat note doesn't ruin my evening or even concern me that much, nor does the casual dress. But one shouldn't try to understand it intellectually just as one should not try to understand why we like certain smells. We just do.

Maybe in your house but not in Royals house.

This past Xmas we definitely saw changes in the dress codes where before action would have been taken and not allowed in. I.e. Jeans on formal night [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wore Jeans every night in SL/CK. I was overdressed compared to many.

Hi - we have been on several disney cruises in the last few years and my husband and my two boys have always worn nice kaki short to dinner every night (and never felt awkward or out of place). We are traveling on the Liberty in March - - how acceptable is it for them to wear shorts to dinner (MTD)? Thx!

Shorts will be fine. Except on any formal nights. People here won't agree and you may see some backlash from the older peeps. It's a vacation after all. :)

I can still never understand why other people get bothered by what someone wears. It's none of your business.

I won't wear shorts in the MDR simply because I'd feel weird, but I've no problem with people who do. I also wear a suit everyday for work, so don't fancy wearing one every night while on holiday.

I've also seen people in shorts who look much smarter and better presented than someone wearing an ill fitted suit or clothes from another era.

If you don't want to wear shorts, don't. If you don't want to suit up or go fancy, then don't.

If some stranger wears an outfit that bothers you, then deal with it and get some perspective.

Amen!! Everyone should worry about themselves and vacations should be relaxing and worry-free. If you're offended by someone wearing shorts then don't pay attention to them or leave.

I tried to avoid faces. I had sent these to a friend. These items were PROHIBITED if you read the letter from Concierge. The MDR is suggested or recommended or requested. A bit different than Prohibited. However, this prohibited wear was out in force both Formal Nights.

I too think it's weird. Taking pics of what people are wearing??????

If you're talking about baseball hats, I agree with you. But fashion hats like fedoras or trilbys are part of the outfit. Asking someone to remove them is akin to asking that person to remove their shoes.

If I'm wearing a hat and I enter someone's house the first thing I do is take off my hat. It's called "manners".

I treat the restaurant the same.

Sent from my F8331 using Forums mobile app

If the dress code says "no shorts" than it's no shorts. It really bothers me when people choose what rules to adhere to and what rules to ignore. And especially if they set an example to their children that that's OK.

If Royal requests or ask you to board by deck number, would you abide by it??

I remember so distinctly on our Navigator Galveston cruise that there was a man who wore blue denim overalls to dinner nightly. On formal night - he changed from blue denim to black denim overalls.

That moment gave me a lot of perspective - Where I am from - overalls are never worn by men...but it was so obvious to me that this man had given extra thought and effort into his formal night attire that I appreciated it.

With this perspective - I find that I really can't judge someone because they are wearing shorts. I do not expect to see athletic shorts - but dressed up shorts with a well put together top and proper shoes (not sneakers) would probably not even catch my eye on a smart casual night. (Shorts are allowed in the first casual nights when you don't have your luggage yet I believe). I would not recommend shorts for formal nights in the MDR - good nights to use specialty dining or the WJ if that's your thing!

It's about aesthetics. Why do they have nice artwork? Why do they have nice tablecloths and napkins? Why does the food have a nice presentation? Why do they paint the ship? Why do they decorate the lounges? Why the flowers? Why the trees? No one can explain why the human brain enjoys the way these things look, just as no one can explain why the human brain likes nice clothes, and makeup, and hairstyles. But yet it does, it really does.

Some thing look nice, and some don't. It's very jarring when clothes someone is wearing are out of sync with the rest of the environment. If you can't see that, I'm not sure whether to be jealous or sympathetic. Like the tone deaf person who isn't bothered by a slightly flat note, but yet just doesn't get the music in the same way. That's the best way I can explain it, but if you don't understand, you never will.

I realize this sound a but heavy, so let me conclude by saying it's not that big a deal. just as the slightly flat note doesn't ruin my evening or even concern me that much, nor does the casual dress. But one shouldn't try to understand it intellectually just as one should not try to understand why we like certain smells. We just do.

You'd think if they were going for a certain mood they'd have sufficient staff levels for attentive service and good quality food too? :eek:

First, we abide by the rules but could care less what others wear. We don't let it bother us.

It is a discussion about something. You want to hold on to things of the past.

On last weeks cruise, on Allure, Staff and Officers were prohibited from dressing up. Dress attire was very casual. Royal is an inclusive Cruise Line.

BTW, officers and staff were glad to get back into their normal dress attire.

I don't understand the officers dress style changing. Can you elaborate? Did they where shorts?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Great post.

Ignorance is bliss, right?!

I worked with a friend once to develop some websites. He is a graphic designer, I'm the behind the scenes code monkey. He explained all the color choices to me, showing all the different choices to me and which ones didn't work and why. They all looked great to me at first, but as I learned more, I saw more and more examples of horrible color design in everyday websites. Where before it didn't bother me at all.

Like I said, ignorance is bliss.

Here's the thing - just say a private little thank you to yourself regarding the slobs out there, to the ones that do things that indicate they're one screwdriver short of a full toolbox. Otherwise we'd all be just average.

And know this, we've all been in situations where we thought we were doing the right thing, dressed the right way, and I can guarantee you others that knew better were looking on and politely not saying anything. Ironically, some of the folks that like to dress up very formally to eat dress oddly the next morning as they step into port - socks up to the knees, fanny packs, t-shirt tucked in. This looks just as ridiculous as shorts in a dining room.

We will be going on the Allure for the first time in April. As a new cruiser on RC, at what point do they specifically tell you what to wear? If you don't know about these boards or have not seen copies of the Compass(?) before boarding, how and when would you know what to pack? Is it just listed in a FAQ page that you need to find yourself or does RC actually send something to you to let you know? I'm a research a holic so I know what to expect but not everyone is....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will be going on the Allure for the first time in April. As a new cruiser on RC, at what point do they specifically tell you what to wear? If you don't know about these boards or have not seen copies of the Compass(?) before boarding, how and when would you know what to pack? Is it just listed in a FAQ page that you need to find yourself or does RC actually send something to you to let you know? I'm a research a holic so I know what to expect but not everyone is....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's right on the FAQ on the website of Royal Caribbean and if you log into your acct and do any reviewing at all.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334

Yet you go around photographing passengers who you feel aren't dressed in accordance with the rules and then go to the trouble of posting the photos here with demeaning comments.

The comment about the guy in denim overalls every night, then black denim overalls on formal night LOL Farmer Bob.

If it's hot, you can look quite dapper in shorts.

tailored-shorts-2.jpg

On formal night, I'd wear pants, although in this modern age, you can get away with shorts GQ style, because "he's happy, clap along if you know what happiness is to you..."

257CD1FA00000578-0-Shorts_again_The_rapper_donned_Lanvin_shorts_at_last_year_s_Osca-a-4_1423450316289.jpg

The guys in the boxy tux's from over a decade ago look outdated but at least they're trying. I wouldn't sweat it. I've dressed like this for dinner on non-formal at a hot port, same casual dress shoes. Most evenings, I wore pants.

how-to-wear-shorts-gq-03.jpg

Yet you go around photographing passengers who you feel aren't dressed in accordance with the rules and then go to the trouble of posting the photos here with demeaning comments.

If you see someone taking voyeuristic photos of others without their knowledge or consent just call security. Bit different, IMO, than catching people in the background / crowd shot because the intent is to capture someone specifically without them knowing. If someone has to hide what they are doing chances are they know it's wrong to do so.