Tours or Things to Do in Punta del Este Uruguay, Montevideo, Uruguay

jjmprod1963

2 hours ago, El turista said:

Are there souvenir shops near the tender pier in Punta del Este?

Not that I recall.

Most expats really struggle to find something nice to take back home as a souvenir from Uruguay. There  are bags of mate ( a drink like tea but from a shrub )  and the gourds, straws and spoons to drink mate from, there are items made from cow horns - salt and pepper, spoons etc, there is dulce de leche - a thick caramel spread that they put on almost everything, bottles of tannat wine - a specialty of Uruguay, dishes that look like they are for snails but are used for melting  provolone cheese, items from Manos de Uruguay https://www.manos.com.uy/  there is one in Punta del Este in town, also some handmade items  here and there, even postcards are hard to find. 

21 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

So... is MONTEVIDEO and Buenos Aires one giant Megalopolis stretching around the bay.. Or are they quite distinct and separate? We will be there in March 2020 and want to see countryside, vineyards etc and not Museums.

Not at all. Uruguay is basically flat and the countryside is not especially interesting around Montevideo in my opinion but you can visit Juanicó, Stagnari  or Bouza wineries quite easily. When we were leaving Juanicó a number of years ago, a coach was arriving with cruiseship passengers for a tour and a parilla BBQ - the meat was cooking on the outdoor grill and was looking great.

Another option from both Buenos Aires or  Montevideo is an estancia tour to see the gauchos working, perhaps go horseback riding, have lunch etc. 

Check here for other ideas in Uruguay  https://turismo.gub.uy/index.php/en/

8 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

I would be SERIOUSLY interested in an actual Fall Cattle Ranch branding party/drunk to see if they measure up to ours. I’m gonna ask around the Internet, really...All suggestions much appreciated. 

Cattle here are tagged not branded.  Each head of cattle has an ear tag with a unique identification number from birth.  Uruguay is the only country that uses a traceability system to keep track of its entire cattle herd, from the ranch to the processing plant to the plate of the consumer. I do not think they do anything like you are suggesting here. 

4 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I always rent a car,   Excellent port for just walking to car rental offices and plenty to see and do.   easy driving as well.   

You are talking about Punta del Este I believe.    Locoloco1 had asked about MVD and Buenos Aires. Just to clarify,  I would not describe MVD as easy driving.