Which resort day pass? Help me choose

Arizona Travelers

I've been to Antigua before and did an island tour. This time I'm looking to spend the day at a resort. I've narrowed it down to three resorts and can't decide which one to choose. I've seen good reviews of all, however the prices are quite different (all are food and drink inclusive). What are your thoughts?

Blue Waters Resort day pass - $125

Sandals day pass - $100

Jolly Beach Resort day pass - $75

I've been to Antigua before and did an island tour. This time I'm looking to spend the day at a resort. I've narrowed it down to three resorts and can't decide which one to choose. I've seen good reviews of all, however the prices are quite different (all are food and drink inclusive). What are your thoughts?

Blue Waters Resort day pass - $125

Sandals day pass - $100

Jolly Beach Resort day pass - $75

Having just been to Jolly Beach in January here's my opinion...skip it. We were not impressed. We arrived around 9:30 in the morning and were told the resort was ours for the day....go have fun!

There were NO chairs on the beach, let alone umbrellas for use. We made our way to the pool where we found chairs, but the umbrella didn't open and even though I asked two different people for help, they never came back. None of the bars opened until 10:30, couldn't even get a glass of water until then. I was told we could "rent" chairs and umbrellas on the beach...like really? I want to do that after paying for a day pass?? I'll skip it...thank you very much!

The pool tiles were all either chipped or missing, just generally looked very run down. The water in the pool was super cold as well, not inviting at all.

We met some nice ladies by the pool who'd stayed there for the week. I think they put it best....it's a 2 star resort...Period.

Wish we had just gone to a beach for the day, I personally won't ever go back to the resort. A big let down to say the least!

Having just been to Jolly Beach in January here's my opinion...skip it. We were not impressed. We arrived around 9:30 in the morning and were told the resort was ours for the day....go have fun!

There were NO chairs on the beach, let alone umbrellas for use. We made our way to the pool where we found chairs, but the umbrella didn't open and even though I asked two different people for help, they never came back. None of the bars opened until 10:30, couldn't even get a glass of water until then. I was told we could "rent" chairs and umbrellas on the beach...like really? I want to do that after paying for a day pass?? I'll skip it...thank you very much!

The pool tiles were all either chipped or missing, just generally looked very run down. The water in the pool was super cold as well, not inviting at all.

We met some nice ladies by the pool who'd stayed there for the week. I think they put it best....it's a 2 star resort...Period.

Wish we had just gone to a beach for the day, I personally won't ever go back to the resort. A big let down to say the least!

Thank you so much for the feedback!

We were in Antigua last year and went to a private beach called beachlimerz. It's owned/operated by a couple. It's incredible, quiet, gorgeous....chairs/umbrellas, unless it's changed, food is included. You can email her. Her name is Gail

Info@beachlimerz.com

They picked us up at port. Great day!!!

IMG_0954.jpg.79c956ee8bb4f0a3fc07fdaa2da63e39.jpg

Edited by willow surfside
  • Like 2

We were in Antigua last year and went to a private beach called beachlimerz. It's owned/operated by a couple. It's incredible, quiet, gorgeous....chairs/umbrellas, unless it's changed, food is included. You can email her. Her name is Gail

Info@beachlimerz.com

Can you proved information on the cost for the day and what all was included?

Thanks so much!

I can second Beachlimerz. I went to dinner there when I stayed in Antigua and the food was great. Beach is nice. It is in Fort James and close to cruise port. We had stayed right next to Sandals at Antigua Village which is Dickerson Bay beach area and it was about 5 minutes from there. I think it is about 5-10 minutes from cruise port. The people running it are really nice and friendly. BTW - I did see your post about which day pass. Unless you want a pool, I would just hang out at a beach all day with a beach bar/restaurant nearby. Dennis' was really nice with a nice beach (not sure if they rent chairs there though but the beach was beautiful). Beach limerz is nice. Turners...etc... Antigua has a lot of places to go with great food/drink. It just isn' the place I would look for a day pass for.

• Like 1

Info@beachlimerz.com

Thank you, this sounds like a great option!

I can second Beachlimerz. I went to dinner there when I stayed in Antigua and the food was great. Beach is nice. It is in Fort James and close to cruise port. We had stayed right next to Sandals at Antigua Village which is Dickerson Bay beach area and it was about 5 minutes from there. I think it is about 5-10 minutes from cruise port. The people running it are really nice and friendly. BTW - I did see your post about which day pass. Unless you want a pool, I would just hang out at a beach all day with a beach bar/restaurant nearby. Dennis' was really nice with a nice beach (not sure if they rent chairs there though but the beach was beautiful). Beach limerz is nice. Turners...etc... Antigua has a lot of places to go with great food/drink. It just isn' the place I would look for a day pass for.

Thank you for the feedback. I convinced my husband to just do a beach day for our St. Thomas stop so I think he's nervous as we normally do day passes. It seems the times we have just done a beach day, it hasn't been the best. I'll work on him, this feedback helps!

I am traveling to Antigua as part of a cruise in early June. Am evaluating options for each port, and this is one of them so I read your post and responses with interest.

I also just found this application for a free day pass at Sandals:

http://cdn.sandals.com/applications/tasuk/commonForms/Free%20Day%20Pass%20Form%20Jan%202015.pdf

Obviously I have no idea if it's current and/or still valid. Does anyone else know?

• 3 weeks later...

Last November we purchased a day pass at Grand pineapple resort for 75$ which included use of pools, beach, chairs, towels, buffet, bar drinks, snack bar, non motorized water craft, transportation by golf cart to further areas of resort such as hilltop lookout with BBQ shack . We booked this through Scenic tours Antigua and they provided transportation from ship port to the resort and came back to get us at a agreed upon time.

Last November we purchased a day pass at Grand pineapple resort for 75$ which included use of pools, beach, chairs, towels, buffet, bar drinks, snack bar, non motorized water craft, transportation by golf cart to further areas of resort such as hilltop lookout with BBQ shack . We booked this through Scenic tours Antigua and they provided transportation from ship port to the resort and came back to get us at a agreed upon time.

Thank you, I'll look into it!

I have searched Grand Pineapple and Veranda Resort. Neither web site shows how you can book a day pass.

Were the passes purchased on site the day you arrived? OR did you purchase in advance from an agency and not the hotel?

If you can provide website that allows me to book in advance that would be great.

Thank You

The others I've looked at were able to be booked by contacting the reservations department of the resort. None required payment up front, just letting them know in advance so you could be put on a list for security to let you in when you arrived.

For Verandah, email Myriam Brown rdmanager@theverandahresort.com

We reserved via email and paid when we arrived.

I have searched Grand Pineapple and Veranda Resort. Neither web site shows how you can book a day pass.

Were the passes purchased on site the day you arrived? OR did you purchase in advance from an agency and not the hotel?

If you can provide website that allows me to book in advance that would be great.

Thank You

Hi! I've done both. I've taken a day pass at Jolly Beach Resort where we had a fun time. Last year down the same beach we spent the day at The Castaways Beach Bar/Restaurant. Same beautiful beach. Rented chairs and an umbrella for $20.00.

Food and drinks and even local vendor shopping on site. Very relaxing and enjoyable day.

Do these beaches all have motorized rental craft, or are any of them just nice and peacefully quiet for when one needs such a day?

Personal recommendations.

For non-day passes (run up a tab) with NO Herds and NO Toys

Jacqui O's (Changing hands between seasons this year)

Cecelia's

For a day pass with NO Herds and NO Toys

Curtain Bluff (Only recently offering to individuals)

Good morning Port Royal. Thank you for your response.

Here is my concern with JO' and C - they are primarily restaurant driven rather than beach driven according to the reviews I have read as well as the responses to reviews by owners. In a recent review on TA of JO's, a couple went there to spend the day. They ordered appetizers and drinks. Bill exceeded $100. When they wanted to migrate to the Loungers on the beach they were told that they would be charged full price (rather than discounted price for those who eat there) of $39. They weren't happy. The owner responded that they were primarily a restaurant and that they didn't order regular meals, so they were right in charging full price on the beach loungers. His restaurant...his rules.....so for those looking for a quiet beach as primary....and the opportunity to have food and drinks as secondary, it appears that these choices might not suit them best.

On the other hand, if a dining experience is primary, then they look to be great options.

I could be off base here, as I have never been, but the JO owners response was fairly specific.

My hope in posing the question around motorized toys was for a primary beach, secondary food option.

That said, I absolutely appreciate all your great advise on these boards.

Good morning Port Royal. Thank you for your response.

Here is my concern with JO' and C - they are primarily restaurant driven rather than beach driven according to the reviews I have read as well as the responses to reviews by owners. In a recent review on TA of JO's, a couple went there to spend the day. They ordered appetizers and drinks. Bill exceeded $100. When they wanted to migrate to the Loungers on the beach they were told that they would be charged full price (rather than discounted price for those who eat there) of $39. They weren't happy. The owner responded that they were primarily a restaurant and that they didn't order regular meals, so they were right in charging full price on the beach loungers. His restaurant...his rules.....so for those looking for a quiet beach as primary....and the opportunity to have food and drinks as secondary, it appears that these choices might not suit them best.

On the other hand, if a dining experience is primary, then they look to be great options.

I could be off base here, as I have never been, but the JO owners response was fairly specific.

My hope in posing the question around motorized toys was for a primary beach, secondary food option.

That said, I absolutely appreciate all your great advise on these boards.

Wow! What a spat. The last time one witnessed Lance losing it, was when a herd of Towels infested "his" beach.

Police, embassy, et al were involved. Long story, and sadly a ship missed.

It would appear this latest fracas comes down to an interpretation. The guest making a firm Lunch booking, subsequently taking what they believed to be a Lunch, then proceeding to seek to enjoying all the facilities.

Yes, my selections are restaurants first, as the Cruise Herds tend avoid these establishments. Also not a fan of Toys.