Anyone here cruised with a tubie (G Tube) baby?

A little background:

My husband and I are trying to book a last minute cruise. Our just turned four year old has been begging, almost daily to go to the "beach", which for our family, translates to cruise 99.9% of the time. :D;)

We went when my oldest was 8 months, and again when he was almost 3, so we have some experience cruising with one small child...but both times were Carnival.

Fast forward to last July...Our new baby boy came early, was IUGR and had aspirations, requiring him to get a feeding tube in his belly. He is now 7 months...will be 8 at cruise time. He is a happy, active just-like-other-babies little guy...he just is smaller and takes his "meals" via G tube instead of mouth.

We haven't done RCCL since right before we had kids, so I'm really not sure how their kids program compares. I know we loved Royal before! I hadn't a few questions I am hoping someone here can help me with:

Does Royal have a kids program or offer for-fee child care for children under two with similar issues to him if we wanted to go to an event onboard during the day for an hour or something? And what are the current rates?

Are any of the staff onboard knowledgeable about G tubes? We would never leave him with a caregiver anywhere near feed time if not to avoid any issues, and may be hesitant to leave him at all.

For those who have cruised both...Which program, CCL or RCCL would you say has a better all-around kids program?

Will I have any hassle getting his needed supplies (button, feed tube, medicine syringe, bolus feed supplies, formula/frozen breast milk) onboard?

Does anyone else here have tips for cruising with a tubie baby? Bonus points for pics! We love meeting fellow tubie families!

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Assume that your pediatrician is okay with your plans. Highly recommend contacting the Special Needs department relative to many of your questions. Also, many cruises require infants to be at least one year of age. You need to check the cruise you are looking at. I believe rules are relative to the number of sea days.

Medical facilities on board do not have specialized pediatric services or equipment.

Adventure Ocean for children 3 years and up is excellent. Some ships do have a nursery for younger kids. Private in room baby sitting is available for around $20 per hour. However, babysitting is by crew looking to earn extra cash. They are not highly trained specialty caregivers. Would be hesitant to leave a special needs infant.

Assume that your pediatrician is okay with your plans. Highly recommend contacting the Special Needs department relative to many of your questions. Also, many cruises require infants to be at least one year of age. You need to check the cruise you are looking at. I believe rules are relative to the number of sea days.

Medical facilities on board do not have specialized pediatric services or equipment.

Adventure Ocean for children 3 years and up is excellent. Some ships do have a nursery for younger kids. Private in room baby sitting is available for around $20 per hour. However, babysitting is by crew looking to earn extra cash. They are not highly trained specialty caregivers. Would be hesitant to leave a special needs infant.

Age requirements: 6 months

If the cruise has 3 or more sea days in a row: 12 months

I would definitely check with the Cruise lines special needs department and make sure that they can handle a tube feeding infant. My Grandson had a G-tube for 3 almost 4 years (reflux Ehlers Danlos and other issues) and graduated off of 2 years ago.he had the tube from age 4 to age of 8.

I am not sure I would trust a child care center who wasn't familiar with your child or his needs. I know that my Grandson had issues with his Mickey becoming loose and coming out. Maybe a good G-ma or Auntie who is familiar with the baby and his needs would be willing to sail with you to help out?

Good Luck, if anyone needs a vacation it is parents of special needs children. I know I didn't answer your specific questions about the cruise but wish you luck and happiness on your vacation. It isn't easy as a matter of fact Daughter and SIL and both Grandsons are on a cruise right now. Their first. Thankfully things are easier for them now.

A little background:

My husband and I are trying to book a last minute cruise. Our just turned four year old has been begging, almost daily to go to the "beach", which for our family, translates to cruise 99.9% of the time. :D;)

We went when my oldest was 8 months, and again when he was almost 3, so we have some experience cruising with one small child...but both times were Carnival.

Fast forward to last July...Our new baby boy came early, was IUGR and had aspirations, requiring him to get a feeding tube in his belly. He is now 7 months...will be 8 at cruise time. He is a happy, active just-like-other-babies little guy...he just is smaller and takes his "meals" via G tube instead of mouth.

We haven't done RCCL since right before we had kids, so I'm really not sure how their kids program compares. I know we loved Royal before! I hadn't a few questions I am hoping someone here can help me with:

Does Royal have a kids program or offer for-fee child care for children under two with similar issues to him if we wanted to go to an event onboard during the day for an hour or something? And what are the current rates?

Are any of the staff onboard knowledgeable about G tubes? We would never leave him with a caregiver anywhere near feed time if not to avoid any issues, and may be hesitant to leave him at all.

For those who have cruised both...Which program, CCL or RCCL would you say has a better all-around kids program?

Will I have any hassle getting his needed supplies (button, feed tube, medicine syringe, bolus feed supplies, formula/frozen breast milk) onboard?

Does anyone else here have tips for cruising with a tubie baby? Bonus points for pics! We love meeting fellow tubie families!

Thank you so much to everyone for their replies and help. I will contact special needs for sure.

I would definitely check with the Cruise lines special needs department and make sure that they can handle a tube feeding infant. Maybe a good G-ma or Auntie who is familiar with the baby and his needs would be willing to sail with you to help out?

Good Luck, if anyone needs a vacation it is parents of special needs children. I know I didn't answer your specific questions about the cruise but wish you luck and happiness

Great idea! I will ask around and see if anyone in my immediate family would be interested. And you are so sweet...thank you! We are tired for sure, but it is worth it all and we feel so blessed every time our little boy smiles at us. ❤️❤️

I would rethink taking a cruise. GOD forbid any unforeseen issues with your little ones tube. And, being a day or two away from proper medical care. That scares the [emoji90]out out of me.

And I would start by singing up with forums like feedingtubeawareness.org or other similar groups. Perhaps an online support group may prove to be a treasure trove of information, from others who are dealing with this special circumstance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A little background:

You will not have ANY trouble at all getting his needed g-tube supplies onboard. I would urge you to contact the special needs department at https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do and explain your concerns and they will be able to alleviate them. As far as the Adventure Ocean Staff- I know that babysitting is offered in the evenings for a fee but not sure about during the day- i would ask the special needs contact people about that as well and they may well refer you to speak to someone at Adventure Ocean Administration concerning this. They are very accomodating for special needs so you will probably be pleasantly surprised. BTW- i work in Pediatric Surgery in Maryland. Just make sure to take an extra button with you in case it becomes dislodged. I am sure you know how to replace it yourself by now. There is a physician onboard always but not sure how much experience with g-tubes he has. If the formula needs to be refrigerated- don't take for granted that there is one in the cabin- sometimes there are and sometimes there aren't. Just ask for one. Have a great cruise!\

Robin

Nolan on a cruise right now. The tether is for his Cochlear Implant processor. He is an amazing kid. I know you know how to take care of your baby and if the cruise line will accept your child and you have the supplies and there aren't too many sea days then you should be good to go. Life has risks and I know with a special needs child you have already considered the pros and cons of a short cruise. Bless you with keeping your family routine as normal as possible.

Thank you so much to everyone for their replies and help. I will contact special needs for sure.

Great idea! I will ask around and see if anyone in my immediate family would be interested. And you are so sweet...thank you! We are tired for sure, but it is worth it all and we feel so blessed every time our little boy smiles at us. ❤️❤️

16807025_10210431217550152_8157898800182543653_n.jpg.45f8a1b9489d3811dca932417e8f86fe.jpg

I have taken my grandkids on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival. In my opinion, Royal does a far better job with the kids than Carnival. I had the feeling that Carnival was more of a babysitting service with simple activities. Royal had scavenger hunts around the ship, very cool craft projects, parades for the kids, and much more, they just seemed much more involved. I was, by no means, unhappy with Carnival's program, just personally feel (as does my daughter, mom of the grandkids) that Royal does it a bit better.

Someone mentioned in room sitting service. I know it is supposed to be offered, but after three seperate cruises, and three seperate requests, Royal never had staff available and we were never able to use that service. It is not something I would ever count on.

I would rethink taking a cruise. GOD forbid any unforeseen issues with your little ones tube. And, being a day or two away from proper medical care. That scares the [emoji90]out out of me.

And I would start by singing up with forums like feedingtubeawareness.org or other similar groups. Perhaps an online support group may prove to be a treasure trove of information, from others who are dealing with this special circumstance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe I misread the OP but I didn't get the sense they were asking if a cruise in their situation was a good idea.

Cruising with anyone, kid or otherwise, always runs the risk of medical emergency. I'm guessing these parents are fairly well versed on the risks and have found online resources in the last eight months.

I can sympathize with the idea that cruising with this kid would scare someone not familiar with this so I'd suggest not doing it.

But I think the OP has got this and I wish them luck and joy on their cruise.

Just my two bytes worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given that Royal Caribbean is now not just family friendly but also Autism friendly they just might surprise you. Good luck. I've dealt with a student who had a feeding tube and problems do come up but there are more days that nothing goes wrong. Good luck and I hope if you do cruise you come back and tell us how it went. My baby days are over now I dream of grand baby days...I can dream