Benefits to booking with a PVP instead of CCL website?

Mybearsbaby

We are ready. :cool: Got out cruise picked out, stateroom we want decided on, dates and ship selected...now to "pull the trigger". :ship:

We have always done "mock bookings, then called to actually book. I often get frustrated by PVPs though. For instance, I just called, and the gentleman quoted me a price higher than the site shows. :( I was walking through online as we talked, so I know he didn't look up the "cheapest" rate as requested. He seemed like a nice guy, but was either dishonest in a few things or honestly didn't know the answers to a few of my basic questions.

He told me if I book online, that PVPs can't help if I wanted to change locations later on, and that he honestly didn't think they allowed that anymore. (In the last, I would book a cheaper category, then move when the price dropped.)

Is this true?

I'm booking today, hopefully in the next hour, so any tips over why one option is better than the other would be helpful. Thank you!

It's been debated on the boards which way to go, but either of the two methods you are choosing between do not involve utilizing a travel agent that will either discount or provide OBC. Some will kick back 50 bucks at a minimum up to 300+ depending upon your cruise and cabin cost.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Love my PVP. He works at the cruise line and has been there for many years (since 1992). When there is an issue, he knows the people personally and gets things handled. He actually cruises and is extremely knowledgable. If for some reason, he's not available (which he always has been even on nights. weekend, and holidays), I can call the 800 number if I need something.

When you call the 800 number, you are getting a CSR - NOT a PVP. HUGE difference. If you want your PVP to service your booking, then you need to use them to book. They only get credit when they take the deposit.

It sounds like you got routed to a really bad PVP. Maybe call back for a different one?

I've never used one, either use a TA or book online and never had a problem with either method. But people with good PVPs seem to like using them. I have booked online and was able to take advantage of a price drop by calling in later so I think he was just trying to pressure you. But I mostly book with TAs anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had a PvP that I loved. She left. My next couple that were assigned to me knew less about their product than I did

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Annoying. That's what I find when I call the 800 number. It's quite painful, actually.

And of the couple TAs I used, neither had even sailed Carnival and one tried to discourage me from booking on them so I for sure knew more than they did! I am so thankful I got assigned my PVP instead of a different one.

Thank you all! It seems like the consensus is not to book yourself. I did end up booking with the guy I originally talked to, but I had to walk him through exactly which room I wanted, price I was looking at, etc. He was very nice, but I probably won't use him again. He kept getting confused, forgot to ask if I was VIFP, etc...

For those using a PVP, if yours is awesome, I would love their extension for future bookings! I like someone who is patient and not pushy. ;)

Always go with an on line company, why, because it's always cheaper because they book in blocks of room. Plus free gratuities usually

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never seen Carnival offering free gratuities even through a T.A. I have seen other cruise lines. Are you sure you are talking about Carnival or have a link to a T.a offering prepaid grats?

Thank you all! It seems like the consensus is not to book yourself. I did end up booking with the guy I originally talked to, but I had to walk him through exactly which room I wanted, price I was looking at, etc. He was very nice, but I probably won't use him again. He kept getting confused, forgot to ask if I was VIFP, etc...

For those using a PVP, if yours is awesome, I would love their extension for future bookings! I like someone who is patient and not pushy. ;)

We can't post ours on here [emoji20]

I have had no problems booking myself on line.

I have had nothing but GREAT service when just calling the 800 number for price drops or other issues.

I make sure I wait patiently while they check everything and I make sure to ask for an e mail showing the new price or new cabin or whatever.

I don't see the point of a special PVP to do the same thing.

I have had no problems booking myself on line.

I have had nothing but GREAT service when just calling the 800 number for price drops or other issues.

I make sure I wait patiently while they check everything and I make sure to ask for an e mail showing the new price or new cabin or whatever.

I don't see the point of a special PVP to do the same thing.

If you had a good one you would. I have no patience for the CSRs. Been there and done that too many times. Given wrong info and I know more than most of them do. It's one call and done with my PVP. I can call/email/text/message him anytime with concerns or cabin changes and it's done right the first time. Kind of like insurance. You don't think you need it until something goes wrong. And when it does, I make one call without having to get a Supervisor involved and tell my story again and again. Saves me time and frustration. It's hard to explain to someone who doesn't see the value. I used to be the same way. Then I figured why not, I'll give this guy a try. Once I did, I never looked back.

Love my PVP. He works at the cruise line and has been there for many years (since 1992). When there is an issue, he knows the people personally and gets things handled. He actually cruises and is extremely knowledgable. If for some reason, he's not available (which he always has been even on nights. weekend, and holidays), I can call the 800 number if I need something.

When you call the 800 number, you are getting a CSR - NOT a PVP. HUGE difference. If you want your PVP to service your booking, then you need to use them to book. They only get credit when they take the deposit.

Our last pvp said that if we transfer booking onboard to her she will get the credit.

Our last pvp said that if we transfer booking onboard to her she will get the credit.

I believe you have to specify at the time of booking that you want your PVP to get credit but I'm not really sure. You would have to ask your PVP for clarification. I've never booked onboard and probably never will now that they have diluted down the benefits on some ships. Supposedly it will go fleet wide according to what people have reported.

Mine said the same thing. There was a time limit. I can't remember what she told me. She knew I was going to book on board, suggested it actually, and I sent her an email right after and verified I want her to take the booking.

Love my PVP. Text her just the other night when I saw a stateroom upgrade I wanted. She pulled the room from inventory and then called with the #'s. A few minutes later it was done.

And yes the benefit of booking on board has been diluted.

I have always book online directly myself (I booked my 6th cruise tonight, all on Carnival.). I went to a travel agent to book my first cruise. The TA was very helpful in getting me started on how to select a cruise and a room. After about 30 mins she told me that when I decided which cruise I was going to take that she would recommend that I go online myself and book it. I would be able to get a better rate than she could get.

I don't know what everyone is referring to my "PVP". Is that another name for travel agent?

After months....okay, years....of prompting, my two adult sisters finally decided to cruise with us on the Sunshine in Dec 2017. My husband and I booked the cruise two months ago, while we were onboard the Splendor, and paid 1218 for an inside cabin, mid-ship, deck 1. Since then we have received one price drop of 20, making our price 1198.

On the Carnival website, a mock booking shows the rate to be 1198. On the fareviewer page, the rate for a 4B cabin [which is what we have] is 1198.

When my sister registered for the VIFP club three days ago, she got a call from a PVP the next day. She ended up booking with him, and paid 1128 for a 4B cabin...actually, the one right beside ours! She also got $50 OBC! I don't know where the PVP came up with that rate, because it's not online anywhere.

So, I guess next time I will try booking with a PVP instead of onboard a cruise, or from the Carnival website as we usually do.

I have always book online directly myself (I booked my 6th cruise tonight, all on Carnival.). I went to a travel agent to book my first cruise. The TA was very helpful in getting me started on how to select a cruise and a room. After about 30 mins she told me that when I decided which cruise I was going to take that she would recommend that I go online myself and book it. I would be able to get a better rate than she could get.

I don't know what everyone is referring to my "PVP". Is that another name for travel agent?

PVP means Personal Vacation Planner.

I believe you have to specify at the time of booking that you want your PVP to get credit but I'm not really sure. You would have to ask your PVP for clarification. I've never booked onboard and probably never will now that they have diluted down the benefits on some ships. Supposedly it will go fleet wide according to what people have reported.

The dilution of the fcc is giving me new reason to go elsewhere.

This past week booked a cruise on Princess for Hawaii. Our outstanding FCC was applied via the TA we use now for Princess and was our entire deposit.

You guys and gals have been very helpful! Thank you all! I didn't realize we weren't allowed to mention PVPs here, so I apologize for asking y'all to. I would never want to cause anyone to break any rules unknowingly.

I knew the FCC was back, but someone said it had changed, and wasn't available onnall sailings. Can anyone give me the currentl details for FCC? I was planning to get one onboard for an end of the year cruise. How much OBC do you get now? We are looking at a 6 day.

We are ready. :cool: Got out cruise picked out, stateroom we want decided on, dates and ship selected...now to "pull the trigger". :ship:

We have always done "mock bookings, then called to actually book. I often get frustrated by PVPs though. For instance, I just called, and the gentleman quoted me a price higher than the site shows. :( I was walking through online as we talked, so I know he didn't look up the "cheapest" rate as requested. He seemed like a nice guy, but was either dishonest in a few things or honestly didn't know the answers to a few of my basic questions.

He told me if I book online, that PVPs can't help if I wanted to change locations later on, and that he honestly didn't think they allowed that anymore. (In the last, I would book a cheaper category, then move when the price dropped.)

Is this true?

I'm booking today, hopefully in the next hour, so any tips over why one option is better than the other would be helpful. Thank you!

We've booked by calling Carnival directly with no problems, and by using a PVP. Our last 5 cruises have been booked with a PVP. She has all of our information, so I just call, tell her what ship, which cabin, etc. that we want, whether we want Past Guest price or Early Saver, etc. Within 5-8 minutes, we're booked. If we do Early Saver, I call to tell her whenever price has gone down and she takes care of the rest. She returns calls immediately, she's never not been available; always returns calls M-F and on weekends even if I leave her a message saying I just want a little info about a certain cruise and I don't need an answer right away. She's great.