Considering Norwegian Jade (Norwegian Newbie)

kbset

Hi!

We have never sailed with Norwegian before and we are considering a mini-suite on the Jade (10 day Southern Caribbean from Miami -Jan 26, 2018). Hubby and I have sailed with Celebrity and Royal, (just the 2 of us) and most recently on Princess with our 2 1/2 year old daughter. We loved Celebrity and Princess...Royal, eh, not so much; BUT I think it was the class of ship that we were on that was the issue because several diamond + members had the same complaints. On Royal and Celebrity we had normal inside rooms and on Princess we had a balcony. Anyways, we are wondering what is different about Norwegian than the other cruise lines we have been on....pros and cons kinda things. Any input on anything would be appreciated, thank you!

We sailed the Jade out of Venice to the Greek Islands in 2014. We have sailed almost every NCL ship along with cruising on Royal, Princess, Celebrity and Carnival. I personally love the size of the Jade/Dawn/Jewel/Star class. We sailed the Sun for our 11-night Southern Caribbean and loved the size and layout. I think the Sun is a bit smaller but the Jade would be one I would choose to sail again.

Everything is so subjective to personal preference but we like the food and entertainment on NCL.

If the price is right I say go for it. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It would be helpful if you mentioned which ships you were on verses just the lines. There is a big swing in ship activities and amenities depending on the ship and destination.

Celebrity - Equinox in 2012

Royal Caribbean - Independence of the Seas B2B in 2013

Princess - Caribbean Princess in 2014

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between a balcony and mini-suite? We were quoted approximately $450 more, total, for a mini-suite as opposed to a balcony and just wondering if it's worth it. We have only ever been in insides and balcony's on cruise ships...never a mini suite.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between a balcony and mini-suite? We were quoted approximately $450 more, total, for a mini-suite as opposed to a balcony and just wondering if it's worth it. We have only ever been in insides and balcony's on cruise ships...never a mini suite.

We had bathtub and a curtain between the bed and the couch. Cabin a little bigger, balcony was no big deal. I prefer regular aft cabins.. Not worth it if you ask me. I find it funny the term mini-suite. :rolleyes:

Love the Jewel class ships.

Steve

Not worth the extra money. It's a balcony cabin with a bathtub.

The biggest practical difference for us between the balcony and mini suite on this class of ship is that if someone is using the sofa bed then this restricts access to the balcony in the balcony rooms, but doesn't do so in the mini suites.

This can be quite important (and worth the money) if you are sailing with kids.

We usually book the mini suite for that reason, but if it was just the two of us then I wouldn't pay the extra.

The biggest negative of the mini suites is that they are all immediately below the pool deck so you have to choose your location carefully.

Our family of four left the Jade this morning--03/10--and passed by a large crowd of workers waiting to get on the ship--obviously to help with the "refurb". Several crew members said it would be a three week dry dock--which is amazing! We like "smaller" ships, and the Jade is SOOOOOoooo cozy! (Although the "spring break" crowd on this cruise perpetuated some extended wait times for a drink--lol--the food on Jade is amazing--you can read more on others reviews, but once out of dry dock the girl is gonna be kicking it large!)