Pricing out solo cruisers

I was looking for a short cruise in May. RCI are advertising 7 nights to France & Spain for GBP699, including drinks package and second passenger half price in an outside cabin. I went for a mock booking for one person. Price for two people just under GBP1400. Price for a solo cruiser. Over GBP2000!!! FOR A WEEK! Looks like my days of cruising may be short lived!

I was looking for a short cruise in May. RCI are advertising 7 nights to France & Spain for GBP699, including drinks package and second passenger half price in an outside cabin. I went for a mock booking for one person. Price for two people just under GBP1400. Price for a solo cruiser. Over GBP2000!!! FOR A WEEK! Looks like my days of cruising may be short lived!

So book for two people, and just have the second person be a no show.

That sounds like a good idea. There is no problem doing it like that?

Nope.

It's ridiculous that a solo cruiser pays more than two people in the stateroom.

With a sale like that you might want to give them a call as well. In Canada at least as a solo cruiser I've always gotten the reduced two person rate with sales like that. Maybe it's because I go through a travel agent. Either way that's simply not right.

If you pay full fare for a single in a room, you get double cruise points - 2 points per night.. If you pay discounted - 150% eg, you only get one point per night.

I don't believe that is true. Many C&A members with 340 points and above get solo rates at 150%, and they get the extra point per night for being solo.

Many C&A members with 340 points and above .

Well, it was my son who is Gold, not Diamond Plus and it was an interior (promenade) room and we were told we wouldn't get double points because the room was discounted. This was several years ago.

However, I will email C&A and see what they say, if they'll apply the extra points after 5 years. If so, it'll bump him up to platinum.

So book for two people, and just have the second person be a no show.

How does this work? I sail solo and cringe when I pay the single price. However, if you book a fictitious other person you would have to pay for that person. If they are a "no show" wouldn't you just be refunded taxes, not the actual room, as you would be past cancellation date. So, how would I be ahead - hope I am explaining correctly.

If you are a no show don't they just keep the money?

How does this work? I sail solo and cringe when I pay the single price. However, if you book a fictitious other person you would have to pay for that person. If they are a "no show" wouldn't you just be refunded taxes, not the actual room, as you would be past cancellation date. So, how would I be ahead - hope I am explaining correctly.

If you are a no show don't they just keep the money?

You are talking about a situation where the single rate is exactly twice as much as the double rate, in which case you are correct, you wouldn't come out ahead. The OP is talking about a situation where she has to pay MORE as a single than 2 people would pay for a double. In that case it would be smart to book a second person and have them no-show.

Originally posted by anankae If you pay full fare for a single in a room, you get double cruise points - 2 points per night.. If you pay discounted - 150% eg, you only get one point per night.

I don't believe that is true. Many C&A members with 340 points and above get solo rates at 150%, and they get the extra point per night for being solo.

Bob - you're absolutely right.

The only time solos don't get at least double points is when they book solo cabin categories - SI, SO or SB.

O... Bob - you're absolutely right.

The only time solos don't get at least double points is when they book solo cabin categories - SI, SO or SB.

Thanks for the confirmation Carol.

Have to agree, similar happens here in Australia. I am constantly frustrated with sale fares, that single price is way over 200% of twin fare. Fortunately, I have been able to secure a studio balcony on Ovation of the Seas on two cruises in 2018 (both times the last remaining one), which works out about 10% more that the twin price for the cheapest balcony. Now waiting for 2019 cruises to come out, will need to book straight away to get the best cabin at a reasonable price.

You may want to check out the weekly specials that RCL puts out via PDF. They sometimes have discounted rates (150/175% single supplement) for solo cruisers. Celebrity too.

Rarely see this happening these days. They used to and even had 125% a few times but now seems always to be double.

If you pay full fare for a single in a room, you get double cruise points - 2 points per night.. If you pay discounted - 150% eg, you only get one point per night.

As others have mentioned you always get double points except for the studios.

Well, it was my son who is Gold, not Diamond Plus and it was an interior (promenade) room and we were told we wouldn't get double points because the room was discounted. This was several years ago.

However, I will email C&A and see what they say, if they'll apply the extra points after 5 years. If so, it'll bump him up to platinum.

5 years ago they didn't give double points to any solos. It is only quite recent.

Was this prior to October 2013 by chance? That is when they changed solo cruisers from 1 point to 2.

If you book for two people and have one as a no show, would you get single or double points?

I got double points when DH was a no show.

I tried calling to get him cancelled off and they wanted to increase my cruise fare to 225% [emoji50], so I left him on as a no show, I got the refund of his taxes and I got double points ( actually I got triple points as we had booked a suite!) so it was win win for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And also keep in mind that a 200% rate might actually be cheaper than the BOGO deals. The price of my 200% booking was actually less than when I checked pricing during a BOGO promotion. (My TA told me that the price of the cruise had gone up since I had booked it, and my 200% booking included tips and some other extras.

Originally posted by cloud_nine
If you book for two people and have one as a no show, would you get single or double points?

Bob

Yes, happened to a friend of mine and he got the extra points.

It has happened to me personally as well.