Anthem of the Seas - Live Review 3/5/17-3/12/17

I was not planning on doing a live review for this trip as I did not think I was going to get internet, but seeing as I managed to get lucky and buy the Sip & Stream package last week without it completely cancelling my cruise and wasting a week of my life as I tried to fix it, I figured I would use the VOOM to its full advantage!

Here is a link to my one and only previous live review on the Freedom in November 2016 in case you wanted to check out what I did last time:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2425744

Please feel free to ask me any questions and I will try to find the answers when I am onboard. I have only sailed Oasis and Freedom class so this is a new ship for me too :)

A Little Background

We (me Jessica (40), husband Paul (42), son Ethan (15) and my sister Jennifer(42)) will be travelling from Quispamsis, New Brunswick, Canada. Quispamsis is a suburb of Saint John - some of you might have stopped there on your NE/Canada sailings.

We had originally planned on going on the Freedom of the Seas for this week but somehow lucked into a great price on a Balcony Guarantee on Anthem some day when I was checking pricing online for the 50th time that day. I am not sure what promotion I had originally booked the Freedom under, but apparently at the time the port fees and taxes were free. When I moved the reservation to the Anthem I got the great price on the balcony and I got to keep the free port fees. It was significantly less for us to stay in a balcony on the Anthem than an interior on the Freedom.

A day or two after I booked, we were assigned a D3 - 9164. This seems like a good location to me. It is near the elevator bank and I have heard that even though it is classified as a "smaller balcony", this one is a little bigger than the norm for D3 because it is right as the hump begins. We know it will be tight with 4, but we have done interiors with 4 and not had an issue. We will only be in the room to change and sleep. The plan is to have the king separated. Ethan and Paul will take the twins and Jen and I will take the sofa bed. Works for us!

Another bonus, besides the great price on the cruise, is that NYC/NJ is driveable for us. We are about 10 hrs away from Manhattan with no stops. Because there are 4 of us going this time, we decided to try to drive to see how it was. We are leaving today as soon as Ethan is finished school and will be driving down to just south of Hartford CT tonight. We are staying at the Best Western Danbury/Bethel tonight. We will head to Manhattan in the morning and will be staying at Best Western Herald Square. It is a newer hotel that we have stayed at before. We are actually using points for tomorrow night as Paul is a Diamond Best Western Reward member so we are avoiding the high cost of a night in Manhattan. The NYC hotel is just a block up from the Empire State Building (some rooms have a view of the ESB) and it is also just a few blocks from Time Square. The hotel has preferred pricing at an indoor parking garage a few doors down which we used last time.

The plan for tomorrow (Saturday) is to hit the Lincoln Center TKTS booth as soon as we get to town around noon and try to score some good theatre tickets for tomorrow night. Wish us luck :)

Sunday we will be parking at the pier. Our check in time is 11AM. I wanted to get on the ship as soon as possible to enjoy all it has to offer!

Pre-Planning

As I implied above, I am an RCL website stalker. I check it multiple times daily for Cruise and Cruise Planner deals. As such, I have a tendency to catch Cruise Planner stuff as soon as it can be booked.

We changed our reservation from Freedom to Anthem on Oct 16 2016. I was immediately able to make our MTD and show reservations for The Gift, Spectra's Cabaret, and We Will Rock You. I was able to book North Star and iFly on 10/22/2016 and the Escape Room on 12/22/2016.

We have North Star booked for a Sea Day. My sisters friend says they did it on a Sea Day and wished they had picked a port day instead. I looked into changing it but it is too late now as all the pre-book reservations are gone. I think I have it for Monday so we will do it on the Sea Day and then maybe try to get another one later in the week by going stand-by.

There was lots of debate about what to do for drink packages. We used to get the select package. Once in while I would get the premium. I did have the ultimate once when I got it free as a MyVegas reward.

On our last sailing, I had the new Deluxe Package while Paul had the select. He was pretty perturbed that the select package went away. He likes drinking beer in the pool and started enjoying ciders in the evenings. Once he found out he would not be able to get the Select anymore and would have to pay for the Deluxe, he decided to forgo the package altogether. I purchase my Deluxe package when it was on sale for 20% off. I eventually convinced him that it was a bad idea to not get one and he ordered one as well - it was still @ 20%.

My sister is not a huge drinker but loves speciality coffee and bottled water. When the Refreshment package went on sale a few weeks ago, she snapped it up for 30% off. She is planning to bring on a few bottles of wine and pay for any other drinks she wants. We ordered the Soda package for Ethan.

I mentioned above the Sip & Stream. As most of you know, there was a HUGE issue last week that seems to have been caused by RCL and an error they made with this package.

On Thursday 2/24/17, I went into my Cruise Planner like I always do. I noticed that the Sip & Stream Package was there for about $2 CAD a day more than we were paying for our Deluxe packages. Because the S&S package was only charging around 14.5% grat, the S&S package actually turned out to be about $5 less per person than the Deluxe package was alone. $10 less and two devices worth of internet packages? Seems like a no brainer. I immediately cancelled the Deluxe Packages and booked the S&S packages for Paul and I. It turns out to have been an error on RCLs part and the S&S package should never have been loaded last weel. It was there for less than 24 hrs and they shut off the ability to order it sometime Friday morning. It appears they are letting those of us who were able to purchase keep the packages we paid for (they better be)!

We were lucky, making this change seems to have had no impact on our cruise reservations. I am sure you have all read the nightmare stories of the folks who had their entire cruises cancelled, some of them multiple times. It appears after much going back & forth and dealing with TAs everyone that we know of was able to get their reservations fixed. I did not use a TA and booked on my own, although that probably has nothing to do with why my reservation was fine. I was just lucky.

I am going to shut up now. More to come...

looking forward to your review, we were on the anthem in January and loved it, we had also booked the freedom at first which we really enjoyed, but later changed to Anthem as we could easily drive to the port.

How were you able to manage to get Royal to transfer the free tax deal to the new reservation? Enjoy your vacation.

I have no idea!

The website showed a price with fees that was pretty decent. I called RCL to see if I switched my onboard booking to the Anthem, how much it would cost. The price they gave me was $796 CAD less than the website. When I asked him to confirm the price he quoted was in CAD because I was seeing a higher price online, he said it was CAD and that the difference was the port fees. The fees are set when I book the cruise (which I knew) and because I booked when the fees were $0 then I got to keep the $0 fees. To be honest, I did not even realize my fees were $0 when I booked originally. I honestly think he made a mistake but I certainly was not going to tell him that!

looking forward to your review, we were on the anthem in January and loved it, we had also booked the freedom at first which we really enjoyed, but later changed to Anthem as we could easily drive to the port.

This will be my son's first time on an RCL ship that is not a Freedom class so I am excited for him to see it and what the newer ships have to offer. I still love Freedom though. We are sailing on her again in November in the Ben & Jerry Suite. Right now we are also booked on her for next March Break as well, but that may change :)

We are on the road now. Picked up Ethan at school at 3:30 AST and will be at the border crossing into the US in about 30 minutes. Ethan is playing the new Zelda game on the WiiU so he is happy and distracted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much fordoing this. I am looking forward to this review! Have a great trip! I sail on the Anthem in May...can't wait. I am curious to know how people dress on formal nights. I was hoping not to look out of place if I wore black slacks and a nice blouse. Also, how about the men....do they all wear suits? ties? Would love to hear your thoughts of the shows, puzzle room, ifly, etc.

We arrived in NYC this morning around 11. We went to the TKTS booth at Seaport and didn't see anything to our liking for a price we were willing to pay. We headed to the Hotel on 32nd street and hubby dropped us off with the bags and he headed a few doors down to park. With validation from the hotel it will be $39. We took a chilly walk around time square area. We stopped into the Palace Theatre to see if there were any Rush tickets for Sunset Boulevard. Low and behold there were - $42 each including fees for the balcony. So my sister and I are going to see Glenn Close tonight in Sunset. The boys are going to watch Logan at the AMC on 42nd street and then we will all meet up at the hotel tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Forums