Customs Immigration Forms

joefromchicago

We got off the Eclipse yesterday, and had a porter help us with our bags. I asked him if he thought it was strange that we weren't given the customs declaration, and he said it was a new thing they had been doing for 3 days (so March 1 would make sense). His understanding is that you only need the form for anything over $1000.00. I think it's odd because the only change that I've been able to find was a change in the text on what defines family members. I can't even find that now to confirm when that change was.

Got off in Miami Saturday from Reflection and no forms. Was told new law as of 3/1 only requires the form if you spent more than $800 on items you are bringing in

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. We got off Reflection on Saturday as well and all the customs guy told us was the forms were no longer necessary. Nothing about $800. So it seems that people are getting somewhat different explanations, etc. and hopefully all will sort itself out eventually. Suffice it to say however, that at Miami port it appears the forms are no longer necessary, although who knows whether that could change. An interesting aside, the various disembarkation letters, etc. given us on the ship said not to forget to fill out the forms, yet they gave us no forms. So I guess the relevant crew are aware of the new requirement, (or lack of) but their paperwork has not yet been updated.

Can only reply with the information provided, if you are so concerned contact DHS to clarify, also try to refrain from the attitude

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No attitude - you just kept repeating yourself rather than either answering or providing more info or passing on that you only had hearsay.

As I said, I have checked State Department, DHS, etc and there's no indication of a new law... Hence asking you for further info as your the one sharing the info....

So, surmising that it must be a new trial run at Miami port, just as Mobile Passport is being trialed at Port Everglades - which is a very different thing than there being a new law....

As we disembarked Equinox Friday ar Port Everglades and we all had customs forms to be filled out regardless of shopping, citizenship, etc - and even though we had done immigration in New Orleans already....

So, we were 3 days into March also - if there was a new law, it would apply to all ports vs a trial run of a program to help speed things along..

Happy sails...

Global Entry is something you pay for. You get finger printed, they do a background check and interview, and you can use it at possibly all ports of entry that lets you just go through.

We came off in FLL Saturday and needed the form. The line getting off the ship was backed up, but a woman was leading suite passengers off so we just joined that line. Luggage was in small groups, so easy to locate, and then line through immigration was easy. We had nothing to declare at all though.

We used Mobile Passport, the free app on our phone at Port Everglades. No paper declaration, just submit declaration on phone the morning we arrived, got our code and no waiting in line. Quick and easy to show the officer our phone and passports.

We will be sailing into Miami in June. We'll see how that goes.

what is global entry?

It is a program operated by the US Customs and Border Protection. You must apply (on line) and pay the $100 per person fee (which gets you 5 years in the program...if you are approved). Once you pay the money and clear their initial background review you must schedule a face to face interview at one the Global Entry centers (generally in major airports). After your interview....if you pass muster you are in the program which allows you to avoid Customs/Immigration lines when entering the USA through a major airport. It also gets your through Port Everglades a bit faster and is now being used (we do not know for how long) at the Port of Miami. There are a few other benefits to Global Entry such as getting a KTN (Known Traveler Number). It is best to go to their web site and read all the details.

Hank