Equinox Ran Aground at Port Everglades?

Pipo

No..... she was due to leave yesterday with sea days up to Fort Lauderdale on the 13th

Check the Celebrity Website. The current itinerary they are on is an overnight in St. Maarten. They don't need 3 sea days to get back to Ft. Lauderdale on Monday. Still there today with a departure time of 4:00 PM.

Having sailed out of the port many times many of our ships did a similar reasonably close turn near the house/deck shown in the video. Yes it was windy on the day the video was taken but looking at the marker in the water to the right the ship doesn't come close at all to warrant such a reaction from these home owners. Forgot what media outlets page it was on but someone posted the woman' FB page which has A LOT of pictures of ships just as close yet the recent Equinox event is the only one getting attention???

Check the Celebrity Website. The current itinerary they are on is an overnight in St. Maarten. They don't need 3 sea days to get back to Ft. Lauderdale on Monday. Still there today with a departure time of 4:00 PM.

Oh ok, Apologies.... I was using one of those what's in port websites.....

I was there. And I probably should just leave well enough alone, but . . . .

There were relatively few of us on level 15 and level 16 for sail-away because the weather was not favorable. And also because we were late leaving port.

I watched from level 15, which is a higher vantage point than the captain's.

I saw as we entered the turn, and commented to the people beside me that we were getting too close to the shore/beach. Sure enough, we could see that a great amount of sand was being stirred up from the bottom, and again I commented that that seemed irregular (I've departed from Port Everglades previously), and that there had to be a reason for so much sand to be stirred up. The sand had not been visibly stirred up previous to our turning.

We had been moving slowly when all this happened. There seemed to be a slight pause, and then we backed up a bit, and then continued into the turn, and finally completed it.

We saw the homeowner on shore, waving his arms (by his other gestures as well you could see he was quite concerned). We saw the lady filming us from her doorway. We saw the 4 dogs running around their yard (we think we caught sight of a smaller 5th one for a second).

I had seen the pilot boat, on our port side, forward for most of the departure. However, when we started churning up the sand, I specifically looked for the pilot boat to see why he was allowing this to happen, and the pilot boat was no longer visible from my vantage point. At that time I thought that the pilot boat might have moved away too soon, and might not even be aware that this was happening.

After we finally completed the turn, the homeowner seemed to relax a bit and actually waved to us (in a more friendly way).

Towards the end of the cruise, one of the navigation officers told us that technically we had not "run aground". By that definition, we would still be there (he said).

However, even if technically we did not "run aground", I agree with the homeowner that we came incredibly close to shore, and that a lot of sand from the bottom was stirred up when we did so.

I was there. And I probably should just leave well enough alone, but . . . .

There were relatively few of us on level 15 and level 16 for sail-away because the weather was not favorable. And also because we were late leaving port.

I watched from level 15, which is a higher vantage point than the captain's.

I saw as we entered the turn, and commented to the people beside me that we were getting too close to the shore/beach. Sure enough, we could see that a great amount of sand was being stirred up from the bottom, and again I commented that that seemed irregular (I've departed from Port Everglades previously), and that there had to be a reason for so much sand to be stirred up. The sand had not been visibly stirred up previous to our turning.

We had been moving slowly when all this happened. There seemed to be a slight pause, and then we backed up a bit, and then continued into the turn, and finally completed it.

We saw the homeowner on shore, waving his arms (by his other gestures as well you could see he was quite concerned). We saw the lady filming us from her doorway. We saw the 4 dogs running around their yard (we think we caught sight of a smaller 5th one for a second).

I had seen the pilot boat, on our port side, forward for most of the departure. However, when we started churning up the sand, I specifically looked for the pilot boat to see why he was allowing this to happen, and the pilot boat was no longer visible from my vantage point. At that time I thought that the pilot boat might have moved away too soon, and might not even be aware that this was happening.

After we finally completed the turn, the homeowner seemed to relax a bit and actually waved to us (in a more friendly way).

Towards the end of the cruise, one of the navigation officers told us that technically we had not "run aground". By that definition, we would still be there (he said).

However, even if technically we did not "run aground", I agree with the homeowner that we came incredibly close to shore, and that a lot of sand from the bottom was stirred up when we did so.

The pilot boat has no duty beside picking up the pilot from your ship later. At that time the pilot was on the bridge of your ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums