Rio--Cruise dock to International airport time

gerena

How long does it take (approx--knowing the traffic has a lot of influence) to get from the pier in Rio to the International Airport (GIG) We have a tight schedule to get our flight to Iguazzu and if the HAL Rotterdam disembarks at 8:00, I am hoping we can make it for our 11:15 a.m. flight. I have an old Rio map but cannot locate the cruise ship pier on it. Some one said it was Praca Mahwa, but I have no idea where that is. The only pier I can find is Pier Maua---just north of the Santos Dumont Airport..On the airport web site, it said it was 13 miles north of the city. Any help? Thanks

It will be very tight. I would give myself at least an hour, and a 1 1/2 hours is more realistic to get there. Traffic can be VERY bad between the cruise ship terminal and the airport. Remember that for an international flight you are supposed to be at the airport at least 2 hours ahead of time. I would try to get a later flight.

There have been problems in the past with disembarkation, the Brazilian authorities have not been too speedy in handling this. Things may have improved, but I believe your flight time is too tight. In good traffic, the drive to the airport is about 45-50 minutes, but it may take you a while to get a taxi as the area around the cruise terminal does not have much parking. Better try and change the flight.

The Pier in Rio de Janeiro is located in the Plaza Mauá

Exist two airports: the International Galeao and The airport Santo Dumont.

In order to go until Galeão, The time near 1 hour of taxi or 1,5 to 2 hours in bus.

The day Saturday and Sunday is fast

In order to go airport to Saints Dumont , leaving the Plaza Mauá , it will spend near 10 minutes.

The Pier in Rio de Janeiro is located in the Plaza Mauá

Exist two airports: the International Galeao and The airport Santo Dumont.

In order to go until Galeão, The time near 1 hour of taxi or 1,5 to 2 hours in bus.

The day Saturday and Sunday is fast

In order to go airport to Saints Dumont , leaving the Plaza Mauá , it will spend near 10 minutes

• 6 years later...
Can anyone help with a reasonable transfer option from the Rio cruise dock to GIG airport on a weekday?

There seems to be a good way from the airport to the cruise dock but not so much the other way around?:confused:

What "good way" are you talking about? There's the Real bus, which goes through downtown, including by the downtown bus station, on the way from the airport to Copacabana/Ipanema, but not all that close to the cruise dock as I recall. For me, the only feasible option for either direction is taxi. Fare shouldn't be very high. It could take 20 mins. in very light traffic, but could also take much more. And check-in lines at the airport can be long. I would guess that there will be plenty of taxis waiting when a cruise ship docks (it is not an area you want to walk from to find a local bus). I assume your flight is out of the international airport (GIG) and not the downtown commuter airport (SDU). I think you'd be pushing it. What happens if you miss your flight? Is your Portuguese good enough for you to try to get the airline to put you another flight "de graça" (for free) if you miss the one you're booked on?

BTW, if you have lots of bags, you might consider storing some at the airport. Weight limits for domestic flights are very low.

Edited by Fattony

What "good way" are you talking about? There's the Real bus, which goes through downtown, including by the downtown bus station, on the way from the airport to Copacabana/Ipanema, but not all that close to the cruise dock as I recall. For me, the only feasible option for either direction is taxi. Fare shouldn't be very high. It could take 20 mins. in very light traffic, but could also take much more. And check-in lines at the airport can be long. I would guess that there will be plenty of taxis waiting when a cruise ship docks (it is not an area you want to walk from to find a local bus). I assume your flight is out of the international airport (GIG) and not the downtown commuter airport (SDU). I think you'd be pushing it. What happens if you miss your flight? Is your Portuguese good enough for you to try to get the airline to put you another flight "de graça" (for free) if you miss the one you're booked on?

BTW, if you have lots of bags, you might consider storing some at the airport. Weight limits for domestic flights are very low.

Hi Fattony,

Sorry, I`m not the person that posted the first post to this thread. My flight is in the afternoon at GIG so I should have some time.

The `good way` is to use the pre-paid taxi vouchers from the Rio de Janeiro State Tourism Authority, but this is only available if you land in GIG to go to Rio beach/cruise port. Sadly, there`s nothing similar (buying a pre-paid voucher from the from authority) available at the cruise port to get to GIG. :(

What taxi do you recommend taking that won`t be a rip-off? It`s weird that the taxi system in Rio de Janeiro is different than in Buenos Aires (in BsAs, it is recommended to take only radio taxis but in Rio, it`s recommended not to take radio taxis!):confused:

"What taxi do you recommend taking that won`t be a rip-off?"

Any yellow taxis that have the name and phone number of their cooperative organization painted on the back fender.

How far from the cruise port gate do we have to walk to get to the yellow taxis stand? I understand that the ones in the cruise port are run by a taxi mob of some sort?

"I understand that the ones in the cruise port are run by a taxi mob of some sort? "

Only if you consider a cooperative "a taxi mob of some sort", rather than a type of union. The members of each cooperative have a right to sit at a certain taxi stand/rank, and pick up passengers there, by virtue of being members. They pay for membership and this is the way they make their living and support their families. (I must state that my perspective on taxi drivers comes from personally knowing at least one driver, a good friend's close relative; He and those of his colleagues I've met are pretty nice family-oriented guys who have always treated me well and fairly.)

You may have heard that recently some drivers from the airport defended their rights much too vigorously against an interloper, which some may consider acting as a "mob", but this behavior should not neccessarily tar all cooperatives, nor all members of any given cooperative, with the same brush.

I don't think you need to be overly preoccupied about the simple act of flagging a taxi in Rio. IMO the pre-paid taxis prey upon the unease of more naive tourists, those with more cash to buy supposed peace of mind, in an unfamiliar place with an unfamiliar language, to charge double what the coop taxis do for the same ride. If you note the coop name and number, you essentially have the same info as you would for a pre-paid taxi. Horses for courses, though.

How far from the cruise port gate do we have to walk to get to the yellow taxis stand? I understand that the ones in the cruise port are run by a taxi mob of some sort?

A regular metered taxi from the cabs waiting in the cruise terminal lot is the best option to get to GIG. If the cabs waiting in the terminal lot refuse to work on the meter (not likely, but possible), then simply walk 30 meters outside the terminal front entrance and catch a metered street cab (of which there are many). By and large taxis in Rio are safe and honest. The fare to GIG from the cruise terminal should be about R$ 30. Even on weekdays the ride should last less than 30 minutes.

With respect to a taxi mafia, you may be confusing BS As and Rio. The cabs at the cruise terminal in Bs As work off the meter and are way overpriced. Bs As taxis and their Rio counterparts are required by law to use the meter within city limits. The Bs As airport is outside city limits so airport taxis in EZE may lawfully set a fixed fair. I don't believe the Bs As port is outside city limits though technically it may be thereby allowing cabs to work off the meter, but in any case the fares charged by cabs at the Bs As pier are absurdly high relative to meter cost.

As previously advised above , you will need time to check luggage at GIG or be subject to serious overweight penalties on the domestic leg to Iguazu.

"Do take radio taxi, don't take radio taxi" isn't a complicated issue. Just a matter of cost. The "radio taxis", which are flat rate taxis, are, as far as I know, usually available just at the airport, unless you specifically phone one. The advantages are that you know the rate in advance and you can pay by credit card (at least at the airport). The disadvantage is that they are more expensive.

From the port, I'd just grab any metered taxi I could. Hard to specify a particular company unless you phone. Aside from making sure the taxi has a meter and that the driver uses it (make sure he turns it on right away), I can't think of any precautions you need to take (when leaving the airport, always get the metered taxis right in front of the terminal; not the gypsy cabs lurking up the road, which may offer lower rates). Note that taxis have a "zone" system, which will show on the meter: "1" (standard rate) during the day at least on weekdays; and "2" at night and on weekends, at least Sundays.

Edited by Fattony

A regular metered taxi from the cabs waiting in the cruise terminal lot is the best option to get to GIG. If the cabs waiting in the terminal lot refuse to work on the meter (not likely, but possible), then simply walk 30 meters outside the terminal front entrance and catch a metered street cab (of which there are many). By and large taxis in Rio are safe and honest. The fare to GIG from the cruise terminal should be about R$ 30. Even on weekdays the ride should last less than 30 minutes.

With respect to a taxi mafia, you may be confusing BS As and Rio. The cabs at the cruise terminal in Bs As work off the meter and are way overpriced. Bs As taxis and their Rio counterparts are required by law to use the meter within city limits. The Bs As airport is outside city limits so airport taxis in EZE may lawfully set a fixed fair. I don't believe the Bs As port is outside city limits though technically it may be thereby allowing cabs to work off the meter, but in any case the fares charged by cabs at the Bs As pier are absurdly high relative to meter cost.

As previously advised above , you will need time to check luggage at GIG or be subject to serious overweight penalties on the domestic leg to Iguazu.

Thank you pmacher61, Fattony and Menininha82 for your replies.

I think I did confuse Bs As on some of the parts.:o

So it seems the best option (price, safety and convenience) is to take a metered taxi at the cruise terminal or just outside of it. Is it safe to assume that there will always be metered taxis there (especially in the morning) when ships are in port?

Thank you pmacher61, Fattony and Menininha82 for your replies.

I think I did confuse Bs As on some of the parts.:o

So it seems the best option (price, safety and convenience) is to take a metered taxi at the cruise terminal or just outside of it. Is it safe to assume that there will always be metered taxis there (especially in the morning) when ships are in port?

Yes.

• 1 year later...

I will be coming in on Sunday Feb 10 to GIG.

The cruise line wants $49 for a transfer to the cruise port.

I will have 2 suitcase - not huge - and a small electric mobility scooter.

Can anyone tell me what a prepaid taxi would cost?

I figure that with the scooter, it might be better all around to have a prepaid deal set up.

I will be coming in on Sunday Feb 10 to GIG.

The cruise line wants $49 for a transfer to the cruise port.

I will have 2 suitcase - not huge - and a small electric mobility scooter.

Can anyone tell me what a prepaid taxi would cost?

I figure that with the scooter, it might be better all around to have a prepaid deal set up.

Considering that a cab would cost less than US$20 (R$40) the 49 bucks for a bus ride is a ripoff...unless your scooter prohibits you from using a regular cab. Most prepaid private rides (not taxis) are midsize cars. I don't recall ever seeing a van type private (radio) car, but quite a few taxis are minivans and it would probably not be difficult to find one at GIG... so

Edited by pmacher61

• 9 months later...
Hi Fattony,

The `good way` is to use the pre-paid taxi vouchers from the Rio de Janeiro State Tourism Authority, but this is only available if you land in GIG to go to Rio beach/cruise port. Sadly, there`s nothing similar (buying a pre-paid voucher from the from authority) available at the cruise port to get to GIG. :(

Hi, how much does the prepaid taxi voucher (from GIG to the cruise pier Maua) from the Rio de Janeiro State Tourism Authority cost and can it be purchased online ahead of time? How long does it take to get to the pier? Our flight arrives around 8:00 AM. Also, is this voucher the same as getting a radio taxi? Several internet sites recommend avoiding the RDE desk and buying the taxi voucher from the Rio de Janeiro State Tourism Authority. What is the RDE desk?

The cruise line wants US$99 for a transfer to the cruise port. There will be 2 of us with 2 suitcases (23 kg each). Should we take a yellow cab, a radio taxi, or the prepaid taxi voucher from the Rio de Janeiro State Tourism Authority (if it is different from the radio taxi)? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Bubblecream
Additional question

The cruise line wants US$99 for a transfer to the cruise port. There will be 2 of us with 2 suitcases (23 kg each). Should we take a yellow cab, a radio taxi, or the prepaid taxi voucher from the Rio de Janeiro State Tourism Authority (if it is different from the radio taxi)? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The yellow metered taxis waiting right outside the terminal door will cost about US$20 or R$45 to go from GIG to the cruise pier at Praca Maua ( Praza Mahwah). They are safe, convenient, and should be your best mode of transportation. Do not accept propositions from cab runners who approach inside the terminal. It's a short walk from the exit of the secured area to the waiting cabs outside. Get cash at ATM in airport.

Edited by pmacher61

Hi, how much does the prepaid taxi voucher (from GIG to the cruise pier Maua) from the Rio de Janeiro State Tourism Authority cost and can it be purchased online ahead of time? How long does it take to get to the pier? Our flight arrives around 8:00 AM. Also, is this voucher the same as getting a radio taxi? Several internet sites recommend avoiding the RDE desk and buying the taxi voucher from the Rio de Janeiro State Tourism Authority. What is the RDE desk?

Who knows who writes some of the non-sense on some travel sites? (Not so long ago, one well-known guidebook for Brazil was found to be written by someone who never left home for the destination.)

There are pre-paid taxis and regular yellow taxis at GIG (radio taxis are not an airport option afaik). For the pre-paid taxis, you can use a credit card to pay. Since there have been many cloning problems reported at the ATMs at GIG, either arrive with reais in cash from home, enough to pay for a taxi to get to your hotel or ship and then an ATM in town in a safer location, exchange your cash at an airport exchange booth for cash in reais, or use the credit card option. IMO which pre-paid taxi should not be a major consideration, but note that you probably pay 40% more over a regular (cash in reais only) yellow taxi. You purchase the pre-paid voucher as you pass through the exit process for international passengers; the aggressive young women who sell them are impossible to miss. Vouchers cannot be purchased online or otherwise further in advance, afaik.

You really don't have to over think the whole situation. Both options (regular or pre-paid) are safe and comfortable. Choose whichever seems best for your circumstances as you debark from a long flight.

Hi,

I really second VidaNaPraia about ATM at GIG - do not use these! At tripadvisor forum for Rio there is a thread pinned at the top about ATMs in Rio warning. Here the main information:

ATMs in Rio: warning

May 08, 2013, 2:43 PM

Dear travelers,

There have been several reports on this forum of scams in ATMs in Rio, especially the ones located at the International Airport.

In view of the above:

1) Avoid using ATMs located at the airport, subway stations and other public areas;

2) When arriving at the airport, exchange only the necessary at an exchange booth, so that you can get your reais and pay for your ground transportation. Exchange booths at the airport usually have worse rates, so the suggestion we've givien is: get the necessary and withdrawl money from ATM machines as per the instructions on item #3;

3) Use ATMs located inside bank agencies around the city, especially Banco do Brasil, which apparently has shown to be more compatible with foreign cards (look for the ATM machines which have stickers of card flags – Visa, MasterCard, etc – attached to them). Citibank, HSBC and other international banks may also have compatible machines.

4) If you've been a victim of any kind of fraud, contact your bank. They usually reimburse you within some hours or days, as in most jurisdictions – including under Brazilian Law – they have to do it so, as it is their duty to keep their costumers free of frauds.