Princess in New England

amypete

Several years ago DH and I took a fabulous New England cruise - in late August/early Sept out of NYC. We would like to do this again - but see there are only late September October options. Did Princess quit the August dates? Anyone happen to know?

I am sure it's partly due to the peak time of leaves changing colors but they had more options in the past of just a few weeks.

I've checked this fall for comparison (want to do this in '18) but still only see mid to late September. Just curious. Thanks for any info!

Ships are still in Europe and Alaska in August. That is where the money is. Repositioning takes place in September and October (for the most part) and New England has a short season of September and October. Then it is down to Port Everglades for those ships.

Several years ago DH and I took a fabulous New England cruise - in late August/early Sept out of NYC. We would like to do this again - but see there are only late September October options. Did Princess quit the August dates? Anyone happen to know?

I am sure it's partly due to the peak time of leaves changing colors but they had more options in the past of just a few weeks.

I've checked this fall for comparison (want to do this in '18) but still only see mid to late September. Just curious. Thanks for any info!

We took this cruise in 2016 and the cruises all started in late September. I would guess that it is more profitable for the cruise line to keep its ships in Europe into September before crossing the Atlantic and beginning the Canada/New England cruises.

Sigh. Rats. That makes sense - doesn't work for Farmer Fred - will have to wait until he gives up the harvest! He wants to do the 10 day one sometime - so guess it will stay on the bucket list a while longer. May just have to do another California Coastal/Wine Country one, which is fine, too!

Thanks for your reply! I see Carnival does it earlier but they don't do a 10 day.

Plus, fall foliage doesn't start until September and the peak is usually early October although that can vary from year to year.

Yes it does vary. We were on the Regal's sailing on 1st week Oct 2016. and it was not yet peak.

We've never been there during peak time, just like the ports. I can understand why they emphasize it then as well. Just waiting for them to announce those cruise options in the fall for 2018 so I can see what we can do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it does vary. We were on the Regal's sailing on 1st week Oct 2016. and it was not yet peak.

I charted the ports for previous years peak leaves from this website several years ago when I was planning my trips: http://www.foliagenetwork.com

I came to the conclusion that with out talking about the far Northern ports, peak season around the other ports is usually around the week of the 15th or so.

I planned 2 trips, one around the 15th and one on the 23rd of October. We were way too early for the trip on the 15th of October. On the trip that started the 22nd of October, we had snow in Quebec City but hit Boston on Halloween and it was their best leave day - simply gorgeous. When we went South from there, we were early.

Impossible to predict. The foliage network site is great at looking at past years.

Living in NE and have taken 6 NE cruise's I can say that along the coast foliage is almost nil until mid October. If you travel inland 100 - 200 miles it starts late September and peaks around Columbus Day but higher altitudes maybe sooner.

IMO I loved the early 2nd week September because it was still warm enough to get in a pool. Late Oct. it can get brisk/freezing up north.

Princess use to have too many NE cruises and had to drop prices to fill the ship. The price has doubled in recent years as they drop the number of offerings.

framer