Passport Question

Hi! My family of 5 will be going on the Oasis next year. I just called to set up an appointment to get pictures taken and hand in paperwork to get our passports. I was shocked that it was going to cost close to $700 to get the passports for my family. I know I should get them to be on the safe side, but is it truly necessary because we don't travel outside the country. They would just be for this cruise. An additional $700 is a lot to add onto the total. What would you do?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As of right now, for cruises that begin and end at the same US port (known as closed-loop cruises), you can use an official copy of your birth certificate plus a government issued photo ID. The birth certificate cannot be the memo copy you received at the hospital, it must have the seal or stamp showing it is an official or certified document. This documentation should suffice, provided that current regulations do not change prior to your cruise or you do not have an emergency that requires you to return home quickly from a foreign port while on the cruise.

As you already stated, getting a passport for everyone is the safest thing to do. You have to weigh for yourself how much risk you are willing to take.

Personally, I have a passport and would never travel without one.

I prefer passports, but understand they can be expensive when needing to order them for a family. That being said, my children have set sail on our last 2 cruises with their birth certificates without any problem. I was having some difficulty with their father, my ex, filling out and notarizing the paperwork that was required for the renewing process.

A passport is a sure bet when it is presented to the pier agent before boarding and when faced with border patrol after leaving. Otherwise, you need to make sure you follow the guidelines and have all your documentation in order. That includes a clear path of relationship status to the children and any possible name changes due to marriage. This will clear up any discrepancies in regard to birth cert name and current state ID name.

An adult passport lasts longer than a minors. May I suggest you send in for the adults first and the minors second? This will fan out the cost so the sting won't be as bad.

We had the same issue so bought one a month for six months. Also an enhanced driver's license (not for kids obviously) will work the same as a passport card, at least according to the CBP/ICE www site. However, not all states issue them.

It's funny how you might think "it's only for this cruise". I bet that won't be the case.

Hi! My family of 5 will be going on the Oasis next year. I just called to set up an appointment to get pictures taken and hand in paperwork to get our passports. I was shocked that it was going to cost close to $700 to get the passports for my family. I know I should get them to be on the safe side, but is it truly necessary because we don't travel outside the country. They would just be for this cruise. An additional $700 is a lot to add onto the total. What would you do?

But you are traveling outside of the country on a cruise. Passports are good for 10 years, and are good to have, but if you are really only plan on going once, than no, you don't need to get them. They are however a safer way to travel, and having them prevents surprises at port, if something you have is not sufficient etc. Yes, we did use to travel without them, but we also now travel internationally, and have them. It's about your comfort level.

I just looked up for a passport to be $80; if you expedite it that adds another $60; but if you are traveling next year, no need to expedite. Not sure where you are getting your $700 cost from. AAA offers passport photos if you are a member there.

*** Disregard, I see the pricing from the State Department website has passports at $110 plus another $25 execution fee...

As the other posters said, double check with the cruise line, but if you are not traveling out of the country much, go with the birth certificate.

Sorry for the confusion.

I just looked up for a passport to be $80; if you expedite it that adds another $60; but if you are traveling next year, no need to expedite. Not sure where you are getting your $700 cost from. AAA offers passport photos if you are a member there.

Looks like cost has increased a lot in last year, glad we both renewed last year before increase

Just wanted to add that you should make sure that your driver's license will meet the requirements I think there are 8 or 9 states that do not and will not be able to use drivers licenses for air travel (and I am assuming this will be true for cruises as well). You don't want to wait until the last minute if that is that case. The state we just moved in is one of the ones involved so the news stories catch my attention sometimes.

We are also a family of 5, so I know how expensive family travel can be. We do have passports for everyone, but we do travel some out of the US. Honestly, I am not sure what I would do if I was just planning on the one cruise. I have a hard time parting with that much extra cash but I like being prepared for any possible circumstance. If I didn't have a passport I would be on the lucky cruise that gets stranded at sea and towed to Mexico and required to fly home, lol!

But you are traveling outside of the country on a cruise. Passports are good for 10 years, and are good to have, but if you are really only plan on going once, than no, you don't need to get them. They are however a safer way to travel, and having them prevents surprises at port, if something you have is not sufficient etc. Yes, we did use to travel without them, but we also now travel internationally, and have them. It's about your comfort level.

Passports are good for 10 years only for those 16 yrs old and over. Passports for kids 15 and under are only good for 5 years.

Not sure where you live, but Pennsylvania is one of the states that do not or plan to meet the new government requirements for the enhanced driver license. I am still amazed that states can ignore the laws of the federal government. The passport card is an option but you are not able to fly from or to a foreign county with them. They are good for driving across the borders to Canada or Mexico. Enjoy your cruise.

Kids passports are only good for 5 years, so at least wait until you are within 6 months of your sailing. There may also be changes to the rules between now and then which require you to have one, given what is going on with the administration these days.

I personally believe that you should always have one when leaving the country, even if it's 'just' on a cruise. Plus you might end up getting the travel bug and get your money's worth ;)

Just wanted to add that you should make sure that your driver's license will meet the requirements I think there are 8 or 9 states that do not and will not be able to use drivers licenses for air travel (and I am assuming this will be true for cruises as well). You don't want to wait until the last minute if that is that case. The state we just moved in is one of the ones involved so the news stories catch my attention sometimes.

We are also a family of 5, so I know how expensive family travel can be. We do have passports for everyone, but we do travel some out of the US. Honestly, I am not sure what I would do if I was just planning on the one cruise. I have a hard time parting with that much extra cash but I like being prepared for any possible circumstance. If I didn't have a passport I would be on the lucky cruise that gets stranded at sea and towed to Mexico and required to fly home, lol!

I was thinking the same thing. I'm from Pennsylvania, so I'm from one of those states where our license won't meet the requirements. I was wondering if that could be a problem. I think it's best to get a passport, just to be safe.

Not sure where you live, but Pennsylvania is one of the states that do not or plan to meet the new government requirements for the enhanced driver license. I am still amazed that states can ignore the laws of the federal government. The passport card is an option but you are not able to fly from or to a foreign county with them. They are good for driving across the borders to Canada or Mexico. Enjoy your cruise.

I do live in Pennsylvania, and I am worried about that effecting our situation.

As earlier mentioned, get two at a time. The one important thing to consider when traveling on a cruise, you are leaving the Country then returning and although we never want to for see an emergency where a trip is cut short and you need to fly back to the States, a Passport will save you a lot of time because to fly home you would need to get a Passport. We have ours and make sure if we need to renew, it is taken care. .

I do live in Pennsylvania, and I am worried about that effecting our situation.

Then I would at least get a passport for those over 16. I would do it soonish, then you can decide if you want to get it for anyone under the age of 16 a bit down the line. Our passports are all spread out, it helped with the cost up front and it helps at renewal time.

I know what I did when my family of 7 started cruising, I used birth certificates and government IDs. Millions of people travel on closed loop cruises every year without issue and as long as you are fine with the small risk involved then its your call to make. If you do decide to get passports and you have time apply for one a month until they are all in hand, that helps reduce the sting a little.

Do not confuse drivers licenses that meet the requirements of the REAL ID act and Enhanced Drivers Licenses (EDLs), they are two completely different things. An EDL is a WHTI compliant document that proves identity and citizenship with one document whereas a REAL ID compliant drivers license does not (and EDLs are currently only issued by 5 states). While there are some states who are still not in compliance with the REAL ID act I have read nothing to suggest that those licenses will not be able to be used for cruising (flying to the cruise, maybe).

I was thinking the same thing. I'm from Pennsylvania, so I'm from one of those states where our license won't meet the requirements. I was wondering if that could be a problem. I think it's best to get a passport, just to be safe.

I have read nothing that says your license will not be valid to board the cruise even if you are from a non-REAL ID act compliant state. You eventually won't be able to use your license as an ID to enter property under Federal jurisdiction but as I understand it ports don't meet that definition. Here is a link to a website maintained by DHS regarding the Act: https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-and-you-rumor-control

I have read nothing that says your license will not be valid to board the cruise even if you are from a non-REAL ID act compliant state. You eventually won't be able to use your license as an ID to enter property under Federal jurisdiction but as I understand it ports don't meet that definition. Here is a link to a website maintained by DHS regarding the Act: https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-and-you-rumor-control

The way I read this, is DHS will require additional ID from non-compliant states. Now, DHS generally does not screen you for boarding a cruise...they screen you getting off (customs). That might be the sticking point.

It was kind of like canada for a bit. You would be able to enter Canada with just a driver's license (because it was Canadian border patrol doing the inspection), but coming back might present a problem.

The way I read this, is DHS will require additional ID from non-compliant states. Now, DHS generally does not screen you for boarding a cruise...they screen you getting off (customs). That might be the sticking point.

It was kind of like canada for a bit. You would be able to enter Canada with just a driver's license (because it was Canadian border patrol doing the inspection), but coming back might present a problem.

The DHS regulations only specify that you need a government issued ID with proof of citizenship for those 16 and older for a closed loop cruise. That includes public school IDs, which are in no way compliant with the REAL ID act;). Drivers licenses that are not compliant with the act cannot be used to enter Federal property where an ID is required, i.e. Federal buildings, military installations, airports.