Freedom Eastern Trip Report - 2/18/17 – Eight Days THIS Week w/ lots of photos!

One good point about our cruise missing Labadee was we arrived in San Juan much earlier and had a full day there. Unfortunately, rain showers plagued the day. But it was still enjoyable walking the forts once again.

That's a good point. How much rain did it take to skip Labadee? I guess they figure if it will be raining all day, no one will want to get off ship to sit on the beach so may as well not stop?

Day 4 – Into the “jungle” (cont)

We creep around the fort towards the port area where the NCL Gem is already parked.

33134217552_f6d1f209f7_b.jpg

We then headed down to the Arcadia to gather for our shore excursion. We waited in there for 20-25 minutes then followed our guide and her giant lollypop sign off the ship and into the port area.

Heading to where the tour vehicles were parked, we passed under a cool crisscross of Freedom and Gem mooring ropes

33161378431_0b780e6e9e_b.jpg

32475118523_89691e1f24_b.jpg

Some views of Freedom side by side next to Gem. We are definitely the larger ship – however that will not be the case tomorrow… :-)

33134219342_39d5a543e5_b.jpg

33134219692_1df0e3d06e_b.jpg

32475119223_2687d7e544_b.jpg

to be continued…

The tour that the five of us chose for Puerto Rico was through RCI, and called the “El Yunque Rainforest Drive”. We knew we wanted to see the rainforest, but not do a lot of strenuous hiking, so this seemed like a great compromise. We all prefer private tours, but we typically err on the side of caution and book something through RCI when it’s a new port. After the first time we are semi-experts (in our own minds at least) and feel like we can move about on our own without the “don’t get left behind guarantee”.

El Yunque has the status of being the only tropical rain forest in the United States National Forest System. I would also venture a guess and say that it is likely the farthest south. :-)

32475119833_d1e412b8be_b.jpg

Also of note, this was only tour that I couldn't book until on the ship because it sold out online pre-cruise – I think around three weeks ahead of time. Never fear, however, from reading tips here on CC, I knew that there were slots held back for purchase on ship so that is why we headed straight for the excursion desk as soon as we boarded and it was all good!

Here is the GPS track between port and the rainforest. It was around a 30 minute drive to get there and around the same to get back.

33161483271_44e2e36d10_b.jpg

The bus we traveled in was a smaller one that held around 25 people or so (think airport shuttle size), so it didn't feel like a huge group which is a good thing compared to other RCI-type tours. First stop in the rainforest was near the entrance at the visitor center. It is a neat open-air building (except for the gift shop) with great views of the surrounding areas. I can only imagine what the view is from the highest point in the park is!

32475120893_634aec0b44_b.jpg

32475120363_d430b299cd_b.jpg

Here’s a map of the park trails. Some are easy and several are more expert level. Either way, I’m glad we're driving! :-)

32906851770_58aa733cf6_b.jpg

Here’s something we recognized in Puerto Rico that we last saw on a tour in Jamaica – breadfruit. Shout out to Javia Shaw – best tour guide in Jamaica!! :-)

32906853790_857e115b05_b.jpg

to be continued…

That's a good point. How much rain did it take to skip Labadee? I guess they figure if it will be raining all day, no one will want to get off ship to sit on the beach so may as well not stop?

It was the wind that caused the cancellation. The captain said he got reports from the land based crew that ocean spray was going over the top of the pier.

It was the wind that caused the cancellation. The captain said he got reports from the land based crew that ocean spray was going over the top of the pier.

Wow, I would imagine that even if you had stopped in Labadee and it was even a light rain, not many people would get off the ship to go sit in the rain.

At least by skipping it completely, everyone that paid big $$$ for a cabana got a refund...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was the name of the GPS App that you used?

I too am interested in the GPS App....what App and I assume you were on Voom?

The GPS app I used (and there are several) is called RouteTracker, and can be found in the Apple App Store by searching for "Location Tracker Lite". Based on some previous thread comments, this app is not available on Android, but I'm sure there are many that are. Below is what it looks like on my iPhone installed.

33678736376_4e303a0bdd_z.jpg

To answer the Voom question, yes I was on Voom when doing anything tracking related on the ship. The tracker can be "running" when not connected to wifi - however when wifi is re-established, it appears to "connect the dots" with a straight line between the drop and the re-aquisition points. That will be evident in a later post when the tracker appears to cut through the middle of St. Kitts... :D

We were on this sailing. Had a fantastic time. I can see my husband in these pictures watching the belly floppers [emoji4]

That's hilarious! It happens every time I do a trip review - someone sees themselves or a family member in a photo. The CC community is really a small world! :D

The GPS app I used (and there are several) is called RouteTracker, and can be found in the Apple App Store by searching for "Location Tracker Lite". Based on some previous thread comments, this app is not available on Android, but I'm sure there are many that are. Below is what it looks like on my iPhone installed.

33678736376_4e303a0bdd_z.jpg

To answer the Voom question, yes I was on Voom when doing anything tracking related on the ship. The tracker can be "running" when not connected to wifi - however when wifi is re-established, it appears to "connect the dots" with a straight line between the drop and the re-aquisition points. That will be evident in a later post when the tracker appears to cut through the middle of St. Kitts... :D

Thanks -- I have an IPhone and will download it.

Love the tracker cutting through an island.

Some more photos from the visitor center overlook with a view towards the ocean. These photos may look repetitive at first glance but they are different angles I promise! :-)

32906855130_fa4fa97cd9_b.jpg

32906855700_eea88907a3_b.jpg

32906857180_f13186b087_b.jpg

33161412831_7db623d775_b.jpg

After leaving the visitor center, out towards the parking lot, there was a trail head for a pretty short (1/2 mile) walking trail loop. The tour guide budgeted 30-35 minutes for the stop here at the center, so we had time to do the trail.

32906861750_e28523dbf5_b.jpg

Here’s a shot of the sun poking through clouds as we were heading towards the path. The day overall was mostly sunny with a little overcast. Looking back, it seems like I have taken a lot of photos of the sky. Hopefully it doesn’t seem too weird… :-)

32906861220_fcc1b2b2e7_b.jpg

to be continued…

So, we headed down the trail. Since it was a loop, and the trail started with a downslope, I knew we would be punished with a slight climb at the end of it. Off we go, past the trail guard:

32906849920_61cc0f5c27_b.jpg

I thought this was a beautiful flower, and I should have made a note of its name then because I sure can’t remember what it is now…

32906862820_616605c1c9_b.jpg

Came upon several trees with this type of exposed root system. This is typical of a rainforest environment because the soil is pretty poor and most nutrients are at or near ground level, so the trees adapt to this by having the roots where the food is – at least that is what a Google search "unearthed" (no pun intended – or maybe it was). :-)

OK, botany lesson over… for now…

32906863880_e081c2909f_b.jpg

32906865390_dd0299e954_b.jpg

Here’s another tree with buttress roots. I took a photo of it because it looks like an alien foot

32906868880_f897579d70_b.jpg

I thought this photo of what looks like a giant pothos vine looked cool as well. Everything in the rainforest reaches out to try and make as large a target as possible for the little sunlight that makes it through the canopy. I should stop talking before anyone comes to the false assumption that I know what I’m talking about. I have an indoor IT job! :-)

32906866800_494e32c44b_b.jpg

to be continued…

Thanks -- I have an IPhone and will download it.

Love the tracker cutting through an island.

Yeah that's a funny quirk that it does to fill in the gaps of missing information. :)

Downloaded RouteTracker successfully. It will be fun to use it with MarineTraffic app that shows other ships in the area.

Have fun!

Day “0”– Hit the road Jack!

As most everyone here on CC is prone to do, we spend exponentially more time prepping for a cruise than the cruise actually lasts! That being said, I planned ahead and brought with me some different things than I had in the past. Below is an overview of what produced the photos that you will see:

32546017913_f8036aa0b4_b.jpg

iphone – Since I used my iphone to take the photo, this one in the pic is my wife’s as a stand in

Sony A7 – This is an awesome digital camera! Way out of my price range, but I was able to borrow it for 2 weeks from my work. Ferris Bueller said it best: "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Zoom lens – This is a 55-210mm zoom lens for the Sony A7

GoPro Hero – I borrowed this as well from a friend and I used it while zip lining and snorkeling.

Olympus TG-4 – I actually own this camera and I use it for underwater photography

Along those same lines with overly planning, I’m in the CruiseCritic chapter of OCD Anonymous, with the main difference being that when we post our planning spreadsheets, we are no longer anonymous :-)

Here’s mine, and I typically start by greying in the times we are in port, which helps me plan when to schedule things like our MTD meals.Then, if we do excursions, I go in and add the approximate excursion time so it’s easy to estimate things like extra time to shop, time to prep for dinner after getting back on the ship, etc. Non-Oasis ships are a little easier to plan for because there aren’t as many on-ship activities that are able to be booked before the cruise.

33074353472_34d0200bde_c.jpg

I also had a section below each day that seems to have been cropped out of the screenshot where I tracked how much cash I would need in each port for things like cabs, excursions, tips, etc.

So, we got all packed up and ready to leave. Our dogs Sadie(basset) and Shadow (golden) have the look like, “are you guys going on vacation and leaving us… again…??”

33247030502_d2cd1ce8dc_z.jpg

32315161934_e3e13e1923_z.jpg

The answer to that is we love them but yes!! :-)

One new thing I have this time that I played with a lot this trip and will be showing up often in the posts is screen shots of this GPS tracker app I installed on my phone. I thought it would be cool to show on a map view the route we are traveling.

It’s Friday morning and we are headed out. Leg #1 is from our house to Valdosta, GA. It’s roughly the halfway point, and where we typically stop to grab lunch and full up the gas tank at the local Sam’s Club.

32546017563_4f4f8d694f_b.jpg

Then it’s the rest of the way down to Disney World!

33204856932_ecbd61d06c_b.jpg

Ohhh Valdosta. I'm in Brunswick!

Thanks for the GPS App info...I am unfortunately Android...I see a lot of GPS apps but have to find one that will track at sea.

Not necessarily tracking at sea, but being able to track while only connected to wifi (no cellular data) - assuming you want to avoid international cell data charges...

One of the few “clearings” that we came across on the whole tour. Kind of wild to see that there is vegetation covering 100% of it and it’s hard to tell by the photo, but the vegetation in there looked to be over a foot deep. My first freaky thought was, “I wonder how many 100’s of snakes and other assorted creepy things live in there??!!”

32906871070_ed0f08ff98_b.jpg

These next three photos are of some very tall old trees with way cool looking Tarzan-like vines hanging from them. I used up all of my technical terminology in my last post…

32906873110_69c7849028_b.jpg

32906874550_824eba092f_b.jpg

33161431791_e14298fa2e_b.jpg

… and on the flip side, here is a skinny odd looking tree as a compliment to the ones above

33161433191_bca93e511f_b.jpg

So we reached the end of the trail, and tried to let the security guard know we were back safely. However, he had somewhere else to be and was in a bit of a hurry. Maybe that’s not true, but I’ll use it as an excuse for the slight blur of the photo. :-)

33161434581_fd324a0151_b.jpg

to be continued…

Here’s a plaque / marker showing that the area is officially a very cool and important place! That must be true because the government said so – right?

32446757444_81cf6b54a5_b.jpg

We then loaded back on the bus for the steep drive up to our next stop – Yokahu Tower. This is an awesome looking tower that was built over 50 years ago.

32446758074_8e03d98b13_b.jpg

33248784346_7d8b8912d9_b.jpg

I read online that from the top on a clear day you can see St. Thomas (30 miles away) and sometimes St. Croix (60 miles). However, there is always a catch. Here’s the catch for this one. Apparently (at least in the winter months), the tower is closed by the time we get to it, so our views were all from the base of the tower – which were still very impressive! Also, no I do not believe Rapunzel lives up there...

33248784046_bb874516b1_b.jpg

33248783426_8f8173467f_b.jpg

I hate being in photos usually, but here is an OK one of Jen and I with a view looking out from the base of the tower

33289765555_4f2a22fb5a_b.jpg

to be continued…

I love climbing towers, lighthouses, bell towers, domes, etc. Heck, I used to even look forward to climbing Nassau's water tower back when it was open. I would have been disappointed to find this tower closed and not be able to climb.

Here we have another view from base of the tower. While this view was great, I would have loved to have seen the view from up top!!

33134295272_832a6f9338_b.jpg

Looking out over the land below and out to the sea, I noticed the clouds casting cool shadows over everything...

33134295412_0be351ef09_b.jpg

Here’s a great photo of our friends Monte & Sue by the tower. I added this one to show off how great “portrait” style photos this Sony camera takes!

33134296182_23f86427b0_b.jpg

These next photos are of the rainforest canopy looking higher up from where we are currently – yes - still by the tower. :-) Where we are currently is as high in elevation as the tour went. So, back to my botany lessons! What you see in the photos are Yagrumo trees. The underside of their leaves are a white / silver color. Locals say that when you can see their underside it looks like veins running through the rainforest canopy and is a predictor of coming rain. That’s a neat superstition, but I think that in a rainforest, even a local weather person can predict rain and be right most of the time! Yes, it does rain often in a RAINforest! Also, wind usually comes with rain and I think the wind picking up will blow the leaves and expose the white. I know, I’m a party pooper! :-)

33248817876_6a344cba8e_b.jpg

33248817996_6960b71994_b.jpg

33248818056_bf05b0b390_b.jpg

to be continued…