$7.95 Room Service Charge

We aren't really room service people. We used it a few times when my son was younger so that we could feed him before he went to the club (and we went to late dinner).

Having said that, we tried to use it on Harmony in December. We just wanted some cookies and milk in the evening. Once, they told us it would be 1.5 hours for it to be delivered, so we cancelled. A second time, they took the order...then called back and said that they weren't going to be able to deliver it because they were too busy.

I'm thinking that the $7.95 charge will shorten the wait times, so think of it as a benefit ;-)

I rarely ever order room service, but this price will bring my room service calls down to ZERO. It's not a make-or-break for me, but I don't like it.

Personal opinion: Room service is not a particularly cost-effective service for the cruise line. Sounds like they're trying to phase it out by making it too expensive.

Well RCCL has lost the balance between cost-effectiveness and customer service. The unintended consequence which will further degrade the customer experience is more pressure on WJ cafe morning, noon and night. And my guess is they won't staff up for that.

They've already cut room service to the bone and will soon be into the $7.95 marrow.

Wow...this sucks. We have a GS booked for July and ordering off the MDR menu is one of my favourite suite perks. Guess if this is implemented before we go then we won't be ordering room service - but it really is disappointing.

Maybe, when implemented, they will waive the $7.95 charge for GS and above. Royal will reach out their right hand and say "Look, we are increasing and enhancing suite perks! (Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain and what he is taking away with his left hand.) "

At least continental breakfast will still be free. Until it's not. :(

~ Judy

What upset me our last cruise is the fact you can order very little via room service now that doesn't have an upscale charge. No eggs for breakfast without an upcharge. No more real food for dinner unless you want a choice of a couple of wraps. Gone are the honey stung chicken days :) I don't even bother with room service anymore.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

There was one evening on Harmony last month that my (adult) daughter didn't feel like going to the dining room, so I ordered from room service. I was surprised to see how few items didn't have an extra charge. I think most of what we ordered was from the children's menu.

Gone were the cheese and fruit plates that we used to enjoy on the balcony in the afternoon, and some cookies and a small pizza for my grandson on a previous cruise. It won't keep me from sailing with RCI, but I can understand why people who were accustomed to ordering from room service will be disappointed.

I've never been a fan of room service - except for the early morning breakfast when you have an excursion. I would rather go and choose my own food and bring it back to the room.

I understand though that people who like the service will be upset by this change (if as suggested it goes fleet wide).

It just seems to be a case of bait and switch. We reserve and pay for a cruise with certain amenities advertised. It seems wrong to me for the amenities to change for the worse. Of course, if RCI wants to throw in a few surprise perks, that would go a long way toward promoting cheer and desire to sail with them again.

Wow...this sucks. We have a GS booked for July and ordering off the MDR menu is one of my favourite suite perks. Guess if this is implemented before we go then we won't be ordering room service - but it really is disappointing.

...or I won't be booking a GS anymore. Being able to order from the MDR menu was my favorite suite perks

Well RCCL has lost the balance between cost-effectiveness and customer service.
Have they? Or have they perhaps struck that balance that serves their interests best?

It just seems to be a case of bait and switch. We reserve and pay for a cruise with certain amenities advertised. It seems wrong to me for the amenities to change for the worse.
Yet they do make clear that for these things they're subject to change.

We see change in all aspects of our lives. The cruise line is not alone in this regard. Heck, I posted almost identical words in the Holland America forum recently, and also recently in a Disney World forum and in an airline travel forum. Is there any part of the travel and hospitality industry that doesn't work this way - that isn't mining marketing data for opportunities to increase ROI?

Used to like when they had wings, steak sandwich, and spinach and artichoke dip on the menu. Last time I saw little worth ordering and nothing worth paying for. Would not mind the charges if menu options increased for those that wanted it and if Royal had the WJ open until midnight or so like on other lines. Not every ship has a promenade cafe, it's nice to go to the buffet and get a late snack after a show. Royal now has the least inclusive included dining options by choice.

Won't affect us at all...we've eaten breakfast on the balcony exactly 2 times in 15 yrs.

In fact, I don't think we've had room service but about 5 or 6 times. And I tip every time. We'd rather get out and about in the morning and usually have first breakfast at the Diamond Lounge, second breakfast in the MDR or Windjammer...then there's Elevensies, lunch...............:evilsmile:

We have never ordered room service other than a breakfast that came with a romance package that we usually purchased on a cruise and the rest of the time we eat breakfast in the Windjammer. That romance package is no longer offered so I thought on my next cruise we would just order breakfast one morning to eat on the balcony as we usually do, but I will not pay for it or pay for eggs, etc. We will just go up to the Windjammer! :cool:

We love ordering room service on a ship for snacks, after excursions, on evenings when my son isn't feeling well. Unfortunately, Royal had already made Room Service of very little value when it chose to staff room service with so little personnel that 1-2 hour waits were the norm, rather than the exception. Barring unusual circumstances, I certainly will not be paying $7.95 for a delivery of subpar food and even if I did I would expect prompt service.

Have they? Or have they perhaps struck that balance that serves their interests best?

Yet they do make clear that for these things they're subject to change.

We see change in all aspects of our lives. The cruise line is not alone in this regard. Heck, I posted almost identical words in the Holland America forum recently, and also recently in a Disney World forum and in an airline travel forum. Is there any part of the travel and hospitality industry that doesn't work this way - that isn't mining marketing data for opportunities to increase ROI?

They don't seem to realize though, that the customer who likes to use room service a lot is also going to maximize his ROI and quite likely go elsewhere where they don't charge. The gradual erosion of benefits to cruising annoys people more than a general price increase IMO.

We started cruising in 2004 and I remember lovely midnight buffets, late night chocolate buffets and chocolates left on pillows at turndown. When this stopped, waiters used to visit the bars with platters of nibbles and hot snacks. Then that stopped. We used to really like an early room service breakfast of coffee, juice and pastries. We used the delivery as our alarm wake up call, they always phone when the food is on the way and it was always very reliable. It was nice to wake up knowing that I didn't have to get up, showered, dressed, do my hair before going out for breakfast. But the last couple of times we've cruised the breakfast has always been delivered too early or far too late (90 mins late sometimes!) or not turned up at all. On our last cruise last September, we didn't bother with room service food once.

We usually order room service once or twice a week while cruising (late afternoon usually) and like that if one of us isn't feeling 100% we can always just order dinner.

This change makes me glad that Royal is off the table for us after our last Freedom cruise which was just Meh.

We sail in 67 days and I am just thinking about this room service thing a bit more. No way I will pay $8 for room service. I can afford it, but will not pay it simply on principle. So if I want breakfast on our balcony now where can I pick up breakfast from and take back to my cabin? Can I take a tray of food out of the Windjammer? Any other options? We will be sailing on the Oasis and it is my first time on this ship.