Sea lice?!!

gardn198

I heard there are sea lice in Barbados (Boatyard in particular). Has anyone found this to be true? It's little baby jellyfish stings right? I had them as a kid and this is the beginning of our Bachelorette cruise, would prefer not to be covered in spots the remainder of our trip!

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, but they are around the water roping buoys. So if you stay away from them you are probably not going to have an encounter. I swam in from a boat and under the buoy line and was stung on my face and arms. I did not know about them and wondered why I was stinging. The Boatyard keeps Vinegar on hand and will freely pour it over your stings. It was only mildly uncomfortable.

Does the Safe Sea lotion really work or is that just a waste of money? I'm thinking we are going to have to hit a different beach (no water toys) if that is the case, because no way will I be able to keep my kids off of the trampoline, swing, etc.

I do not know about the lotion. There were many on the water toys and as far as I could tell I was the only one stung. I had swum underneath the border rope buoys which I doubt the kids would be going near and it was on the other side of the pier. Living on the water on the east coast I have encountered sea nettles and jelly fish which are far worst than the minor sea lice stings. Maybe look them up on the internet to see where they hang and how bad they are.

We got them off the part of the ropes and play structures submerged in water, very small, can't see them, it sort of stung but was more itchy than anything. The easy antidote and instant relief was rubbing lime and Boatyard will readily give you slices. Don't know how effective the other methods are but I wouldn't hesitate to use lime again.

• 4 months later...
Yep, but they are around the water roping buoys. So if you stay away from them you are probably not going to have an encounter. I swam in from a boat and under the buoy line and was stung on my face and arms. I did not know about them and wondered why I was stinging. The Boatyard keeps Vinegar on hand and will freely pour it over your stings. It was only mildly uncomfortable.

This solves a mystery in Jamaica several yrs ago. I was on one of the beaches out in the water by myself and swam out to the ropes by the buoys and was hanging on just relaxin and all of a sudden I felt these burning sensations on me. I looked down and my first impression was clear baby shrimps. Could barely see them. I got the hell out of there in a hurry, man they hurt for awhile. I never really said anything to anyone but always wondered what they were. Thanks for finally enlightening me!