Edge Sky Suites - What's the Scoop?

vtcruising

1 hour ago, TonyUK said:

The retreat looks a lovely area and the adjacent lounge looks great for a snack and drink. Just one thing, are there lockers and showers in the retreat area. 

We would want to shower and change before a nice luminae lunch, but couldn't identify if there were any facilities.  Can anyone help?

As C-Dragons said, no lockers - there is a shower next to the pool/hot tub for rinsing off and restrooms nearby. I was thinking the same thing about going back to the suite to change for lunch - ours isn't too far away luckily. 🙂

Retreat Shower:

image.thumb.png.603bb84b5964810f9b5bb7298c369267.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

vtcruising, I just saw on one of your other threads that Celebrity is going to replace the SS rocker with a rising coffee table and put a lounger or two on the deck. Do you know if/when this is happening? We board on 4/7/19 and would love to see these changes have been made.

I know some folks like the rocker, but it appears to take up a lot of real estate. And the deck has space galore for a couple loungers.

2 hours ago, Travelfor2 said:

vtcruising, I just saw on one of your other threads that Celebrity is going to replace the SS rocker with a rising coffee table and put a lounger or two on the deck. Do you know if/when this is happening? We board on 4/7/19 and would love to see these changes have been made.

I know some folks like the rocker, but it appears to take up a lot of real estate. And the deck has space galore for a couple loungers.

There have been a few different reports coming back from the ship. Some here have reported that they are adding a coffee table to the sky suites (and potentially the lift up type). One butler told me that they have told them that the coffee tables are coming, but they are still waiting. Another butler implied that there were some coffee tables available and I could have one brought to the suite to use for room service during the week.

The rockers were reported as being taken away on Saturday night (2/2) and someone reported that they were told that they would be switched for smaller rockers.

I think people will receive loungers in a sky suite, if they request them (everyone that I talked to who asked for one, received one), but this is likely a moving target. It will be interesting to see if they just put one on each of the sky suite balcony in response to the negative feedback (or improve the chairs/tables that are there). I would hate to predict, since the plans seem to evolve with each cruise. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

19 hours ago, vtcruising said:

There have been a few different reports coming back from the ship. Some here have reported that they are adding a coffee table to the sky suites (and potentially the lift up type). One butler told me that they have told them that the coffee tables are coming, but they are still waiting. Another butler implied that there were some coffee tables available and I could have one brought to the suite to use for room service during the week.

The rockers were reported as being taken away on Saturday night (2/2) and someone reported that they were told that they would be switched for smaller rockers.

I think people will receive loungers in a sky suite, if they request them (everyone that I talked to who asked for one, received one), but this is likely a moving target. It will be interesting to see if they just put one on each of the sky suite balcony in response to the negative feedback (or improve the chairs/tables that are there). I would hate to predict, since the plans seem to evolve with each cruise. 🙂

Vtcruising, We are sailing in an S1 on 2/17. Do you somehow request loungers before the sailing or after we are onboard? Thx.

We enjoyed the sky suite except as noted, lack of table for dining and large rocker- which should be removed.  Also missed lounge chairs or chairs with foot stools on balcony.  I would urge anybody thinking of booking a sky suite, do not book an S3 or any suite near or under the magic carpet.  You are spending so much money and the railings and magic carpet will ruin your view.  Have mentioned this before on other posts.

The edge suite deck was wonderful!!

Edited by Cruise a holic

1 hour ago, jman101 said:

Vtcruising, We are sailing in an S1 on 2/17. Do you somehow request loungers before the sailing or after we are onboard? Thx.

We requested ours onboard, as did our friends and another couple of people reporting here. Hopefully they are still providing them! 

24 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

We requested ours onboard, as did our friends and another couple of people reporting here. Hopefully they are still providing them! 

Thank you! We absolutely can't wait to board. It has been a long time waiting since we booked this cruise on the Reflection 2/2017.

These are pictures of an S3 on the aft side of the Magic Carpet, they were posted on Fabebook. I'd prefer to link to the FB post to give full credit to the person who took the pics but I'm not sure if FB links are allowed here. 

I like this S3 balcony very much, it's large and the window to the side gives it a special ambiance. Wouldn't really call the MC view obstructed or intrusive but that's a personal opinion of course.

We're in an S3 on the opposite side (looking forward instead of aft) on deck 8 in April.

Screenshot_20190205-214034__01.jpg

Screenshot_20190205-214054__01.jpg

Screenshot_20190205-214114__01.jpg

Screenshot_20190205-213930__01.jpg

Screenshot_20190205-214009__01.jpg

Edited by [g]cruiserke
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, jman101 said:

Thank you! We absolutely can't wait to board. It has been a long time waiting since we booked this cruise on the Reflection 2/2017.

You are so lucky! I can’t wait to get onboard again. Enjoy the suite life!!🙂

• Haha 1

vtcruising, thanks for the update. Very happy to hear that Celebrity is listening and apparently in the process of making some changes.

We've had our S3 on deck 10 booked since the day reservations opened up. I know some people are anti-S3 because of the MC, but we're hoping that it is NBD and perhaps a bit of an advantage. With our forward-facing window on the deck, we should be able to enjoy a view not available to most. And the deck size certainly looks great. Hey, I even like the orange "box" in the corner: contemporary art? place to carve our initials? photo backdrop? Place to hid behind when bridge staff are looking aft?

At any rate, we will definitely be asking for a lounger and, with any luck, might be able to swing a table large enough for breakfast.

• Like 1

vtcruising, thanks for the update. Very happy to hear that Celebrity is listening and apparently in the process of making some changes.

We've had our S3 on deck 10 booked since the day reservations opened up. I know some people are anti-S3 because of the MC, but we're hoping that it is NBD and perhaps a bit of an advantage. With our forward-facing window on the deck, we should be able to enjoy a view not available to most. And the deck size certainly looks great. Hey, I even like the orange "box" in the corner: contemporary art? place to carve our initials? photo backdrop? Place to hid behind when bridge staff are looking aft?

At any rate, we will definitely be asking for a lounger and, with any luck, might be able to swing a table large enough for breakfast.

On our cabin crawl I visited the suite above yours and actually was surprised at how much I liked the balcony. I loved the window and the balcony itself is large (larger than my S1 portside and the S2's - only the S1 afts are bigger for sky suite balconies). Though the MC rails blocked some of the view, the view out was great. Here are a couple of pictures that I took.

I think you've found some great uses for the orange box. Can't wait to hear how you liked your S3!! 🙂

image.thumb.png.b67ee26b2d79e1c292c10acb8549f218.png

s3balc1.thumb.jpg.3efc9985493b7b9fb33fa4ae5e478330.jpg

s3balc4.thumb.jpg.a210beda56929889931990035c9e37c0.jpg

image.thumb.png.f9cf7eb13d4d1ed0a3326b6ba79e316a.png

On 2/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, [g]cruiserke said:

These are pictures of an S3 on the aft side of the Magic Carpet, they were posted on Fabebook. I'd prefer to link to the FB post to give full credit to the person who took the pics but I'm not sure if FB links are allowed here. 

I like this S3 balcony very much, it's large and the window to the side gives it a special ambiance. Wouldn't really call the MC view obstructed or intrusive but that's a personal opinion of course.

We're in an S3 on the opposite side (looking forward instead of aft) on deck 8 in April.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, [g]cruiserke said:

We'll be on board the week of 4/7/19. How about you?

vtcruising, when you visited the S3, was the entry to the SS shared with the cabin next door, i.e. a small hallway off the main hall with two doors, one for the IV cabin and one for the SS? I know that the two center S3s have this arrangement with the inside cabins parallel to the hallway, but on the deck plans it isn't clear that that arrangement is used for the two end S3s. If so, I am hoping we can ask for the main hall door to be propped open so we have only one door to deal with to enter our cabin. Picky, picky, I know, but . . .

You are a fount of information! How do you manage to know so much about the Edge? Just curious.

8 hours ago, Travelfor2 said:

vtcruising, when you visited the S3, was the entry to the SS shared with the cabin next door, i.e. a small hallway off the main hall with two doors, one for the IV cabin and one for the SS? I know that the two center S3s have this arrangement with the inside cabins parallel to the hallway, but on the deck plans it isn't clear that that arrangement is used for the two end S3s. If so, I am hoping we can ask for the main hall door to be propped open so we have only one door to deal with to enter our cabin. Picky, picky, I know, but . . .

You are a fount of information! How do you manage to know so much about the Edge? Just curious.

Sorry, I am blanking on whether there was a shared entrance for that suite. On the deck plans it looks to me like it might be connected inside, but the suite review for 11160 said " 11158 (C3) connects in interior hallway [not part of cabin] – no noise issues from connecting door" so I'm not sure. Hopefully, they will jump in here and tell us. 

We had an aft S1 on one Edge cruise with a shared entrance. During the day we opened the outside door and turned the inside lock - the door shuts most of the way, but having the lock protruding kept the door slightly open so that it doesn't need to be unlocked every time.  At night we let it shut tight and lock. Hopefully, the people next door are amenable to that arrangement as well. I would ask the butler if that is okay. The cabin attendant or butler did this for our S1 on the Reflection one time and it worked well, so we did it on this cruise.

As to my interest in the Edge, a group of us followed the Edge build for 2 years on the Cruise Critic Edge Forum (used to be a separate sub forum) and it became my hobby to learn about the ship. It was fun to discover things bit by bit and then to sail on 3 of her first cruises last fall. We just sailed on her again a couple of weeks ago and have plans for another cruise next year. She is a work in progress, but a gorgeous ship! 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an FYI re rockers, inside tables and deck loungers. I talked to the Celebrity executive office a few days ago (very nice folks who actually work to get accurate answers) and was told the rockers are gone but no news as yet about replacing them with tables. Was also told to ask the butler about getting a lounger for the deck. Maybe if enough of us keep asking for a lounger, the ship will conclude that it's a good idea to place them on all SS decks.

Has anyone heard anything about tables?

If I hear any more, I will post again.

Meanwhile, we are a few weeks away from our 7 April sailing. Getting excited.

• Thanks 1

Just an FYI re rockers, inside tables and deck loungers. I talked to the Celebrity executive office a few days ago (very nice folks who actually work to get accurate answers) and was told the rockers are gone but no news as yet about replacing them with tables. Was also told to ask the butler about getting a lounger for the deck. Maybe if enough of us keep asking for a lounger, the ship will conclude that it's a good idea to place them on all SS decks.

Has anyone heard anything about tables?

If I hear any more, I will post again.

Meanwhile, we are a few weeks away from our 7 April sailing. Getting excited.

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I’m beginning to doubt that X will put tables of any kind in the Sky Suites. Imo, they are trying to discourage guests from ordering room service. The current chairs and the teeny tiny table on the verandah are not conducive to eating a meal either. As for the loungers, it would certainly save time and be less work for the butlers if they would just be placed on every verandah and left there. I don’t understand what has happened to common sense and sensibility with corporate in Miami.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I’m beginning to doubt that X will put tables of any kind in the Sky Suites. Imo, they are trying to discourage guests from ordering room service. The current chairs and the teeny tiny table on the verandah are not conducive to eating a meal either. As for the loungers, it would certainly save time and be less work for the butlers if they would just be placed on every verandah and left there. I don’t understand what has happened to common sense and sensibility with corporate in Miami.

I agree!  I'm going to email my contact and see if I can get any answers - probably not, but worth a try. It is weird that one CC poster described seeing the coffee tables being delivered a few weeks ago. Maybe just the squeaky wheels are getting them?

I would hate to think that they are discouraging room service, but it does feel that way. Even the upper Edge suites don't have balcony tables and chairs suitable for a dinner, though they do have inside tables high enough for room service. The revolutionized Millie doesn't seem to have regular coffee tables in the cabins and Skies and only small tables on the balcony as far as I can see.

I know by chatting with a higher up person onboard, that part of the vision for the Edge was to design the ship to get guests to come together more to share experiences/conversation (or that is what I took away from the conversation). I started to think (that person didn't say this to me) that was the reason for the lovely suite sundeck and pretty pool area with huge lap pool and and no loungers or footstools on the balconies -  and for the wonderful dining spaces and no furniture to eat upon in the cabins and lower suites -  and for the open, large bar/lounge areas and the paucity of small lounge areas. It is a bold vision, but I'm not sure it will totally work. I personally hope that they will compromise a bit on those things and maybe follow some of the suggestions laid out on CC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I agree!  I'm going to email my contact and see if I can get any answers - probably not, but worth a try. It is weird that one CC poster described seeing the coffee tables being delivered a few weeks ago. Maybe just the squeaky wheels are getting them?

I would hate to think that they are discouraging room service, but it does feel that way. Even the upper Edge suites don't have balcony tables and chairs suitable for a dinner, though they do have inside tables high enough for room service. The revolutionized Millie doesn't seem to have regular coffee tables in the cabins and Skies and only small tables on the balcony as far as I can see.

I know by chatting with a higher up person onboard, that part of the vision for the Edge was to design the ship to get guests to come together more to share experiences/conversation (or that is what I took away from the conversation). I started to think (that person didn't say this to me) that was the reason for the lovely suite sundeck and pretty pool area with huge lap pool and and no loungers or footstools on the balconies -  and for the wonderful dining spaces and no furniture to eat upon in the cabins and lower suites -  and for the open, large bar/lounge areas and the paucity of small lounge areas. It is a bold vision, but I'm not sure it will totally work. I personally hope that they will compromise a bit on those things and maybe follow some of the suggestions laid out on CC.

The Edge is a beautiful ship and I love the staterooms, but it's really irritating that we're paying a higher premium now for an experience on a X ship that has diminished from those of the past.

The Celebrity Suites on the Edge actually do have a small dining height table and 2 chairs suitable for room service on their verandah.

Corporate's idea of getting guests out of their cabins to mingle with others in public spaces may be their plan and there are plenty of hours in a day for everyone to do this. But there are many, like us, who have sailed with X for a long time now and one of the things we very much look forward to on each cruise is enjoying breakfast every morning on our verandah. I'm pretty convinced that Corporate is trying to discourage room service, especially for breakfast. I guess they expect everyone to go to LuminaeOur Butler told us that room service orders were being prepared in Luminae. We were in an aft S1 on the opposite end of the ship from the restaurant (some of us know how long that trek is ! 😉). I know firsthand the logistical problems that can arise and have seen the look of panic in our Butler's eyes when one or more of the breakfast items were discovered missing or not properly prepared when he arrived at our door. We did empathize as he was responsible for all 12 of the S1's on the aft, decks 7-12.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

The Edge is a beautiful ship and I love the staterooms, but it's really irritating that we're paying a higher premium now for an experience on a X ship that has diminished from those of the past.

The Celebrity Suites on the Edge actually do have a small dining height table and 2 chairs suitable for room service on their verandah.

Corporate's idea of getting guests out of their cabins to mingle with others in public spaces may be their plan and there are plenty of hours in a day for everyone to do this. But there are many, like us, who have sailed with X for a long time now and one of the things we very much look forward to on each cruise is enjoying breakfast every morning on our verandah. I'm pretty convinced that Corporate is trying to discourage room service, especially for breakfast. I guess they expect everyone to go to LuminaeOur Butler told us that room service orders were being prepared in Luminae. We were in an aft S1 on the opposite end of the ship from the restaurant (some of us know how long that trek is ! 😉). I know firsthand the logistical problems that can arise and have seen the look of panic in our Butler's eyes when one or more of the breakfast items were discovered missing or not properly prepared when he arrived at our door. We did empathize as he was responsible for all 12 of the S1's on the aft, decks 7-12.

I agree with what you are saying, along with really feeling sorry for your butler, and all the others butlers for that matter.  That is so unfair to them, as they are only human; Celebrity caused the issue and Celebrity needs to fix it!  I will keep that in mind for sure...corporate needs to understand the wants in those suites and the stress it puts on butlers!   I hope we do get those tables and loungers...but yes, I will ask if need be!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 4

In the world of Hoppen, cruisers only eat lite bites set down on the tom tom...while sitting on the floor with Hoppen throw pillows... 

She  had confused cruise ship  cabin with a  design for living in a dorm!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Our Butler told us that room service orders were being prepared in Luminae. We were in an aft S1 on the opposite end of the ship from the restaurant (some of us know how long that trek is ! 😉). I know firsthand the logistical problems that can arise and have seen the look of panic in our Butler's eyes when one or more of the breakfast items were discovered missing or not properly prepared when he arrived at our door. We did empathize as he was responsible for all 12 of the S1's on the aft, decks 7-12.

I didn't realize that they were bringing room service food from Luminae - I assumed it came from the MDR, where other room service presumably is prepared. It makes sense then that they would be discouraging room service. Also, we were told that the Luminae galley is quite small (explained that is one of the reasons they couldn't add a lot to the menu). With 176 suites, they would have had a lot of in-suite dining to cater to, with a small galley and long distances.

Did you have Edward as a butler? That's who we had in 11268 and he had said he had all the S1 afts. No wonder he was a bit perturbed by the room service we had. Poor guy!

I agree that they blew it here. If they don't compromise,  I hope they can fill the ships with people who don't care about laying in the sun on their own balconies and enjoying room service on their balconies - some of our favorite activities (we could forgive it on the first cruises because we had so much to see and do and many breakfast venues to try). With feedback here and from our reviews, hopefully they will see the light.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, hcat said:

In the world of Hoppen, cruisers only eat lite bites set down on the tom tom...while sitting on the floor with Hoppen throw pillows... 

She  had confused cruise ship  cabin with a  design for living in a dorm!

LOL! I guess she has never seen what cruisers order for room service! That would be a shock!  😁

image.thumb.png.56a039132c18b59cfeca3eb0f80fefa4.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, vtcruising said:

LOL! I guess she has never seen what cruisers order for room service! That would be a shock!  😁

image.thumb.png.56a039132c18b59cfeca3eb0f80fefa4.png

That looks like our first breakfast order on the Edge! Now imagine the teeny tiny table on the verandah with all of those plates stacked up on it. That's how the Butler left it. I think he was embarrassed because unfortunately there wasn’t anything else he could do. X should be embarrassed, that experience was not “modern luxury”.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1