Norwegian gem excursions and traveling with little ones

Cartiec

Hello. We are taking our first cruise with a few families this spring break to San Juan, st. Thomas, st. Maartin and Tortola on the gem. My husband and I have 3 children (14, 5 & 3). What do you suggest for excursions, if any? Do you suggest the resorts for a day? I was looking at one in st Thomas. R they worth it or is it better to just go to a beach. Any suggestions would be invaluable.

Also any reocmmendations for items that I should bring with me for the family. Finally how crowded are the kids clubs for the little ones as well as the pool. First time cruiser and a little overwhelmed by It all. Ty! :cool:

With that age range and the one being so young, that is hard. I do think the resort for a day options would be good. We've done the one at San Juan with the Marriott a couple years back and that would be great for your age ranges. Nice beach with waves and a pool with some small slides.

Hello. We are taking our first cruise with a few families this spring break to San Juan, st. Thomas, st. Maartin and Tortola on the gem. My husband and I have 3 children (14, 5 & 3). What do you suggest for excursions, if any? Do you suggest the resorts for a day? I was looking at one in st Thomas. R they worth it or is it better to just go to a beach. Any suggestions would be invaluable.

Also any reocmmendations for items that I should bring with me for the family. Finally how crowded are the kids clubs for the little ones as well as the pool. First time cruiser and a little overwhelmed by It all. Ty! :cool:

I was looking for calm beaches for the kids when we went on the Eastern route too and we were happy with Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas. We just grabbed a cab from port to Sapphire Beach. It seemed popular enough to feel safe but not crowded. There was shade and very calm water to swim around in. For St Marteen, we had a private tour and requested La Galion beach by the Butterfly Garden. This was also a great Beach for kids with calmer water in a protected cove. The kids built some sand castles there. There are photos in the reviews on my signature. In San Juan, we toured the forts on our own but be warned, it's a lot of walking so the kids wore out quick. I hope that helps!

ITA Le Galleon in St Maartin is a great beach for kids of all ages. St Thomas, I'd suggest Magens Bay, it's absolutely gorgeous and doesn't get busy until later in the day. You could get a taxi, enjoy the beach and be headed back to the ship by the time the cruise tours arrive.

We did Virgin Gorda in Tortola, but I wouldn't recommend it for your two youngest children. Our boys were 9&6 ish years on that tour and with the number of people crowded in the caves I wouldn't suggest it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We cruised with a just-turned 6 year old. My #1 tip would be pack 2-3 outfits PER DAY for the 3 and 5 year old. I know this sounds like a lot, but between the excursions/beach/pool/sweating - we ran out of clothes very fast and laundry is expensive on the ship, you don't want to have to send out a load of clothes. Other than that, you will have a great time. Cruise is the best way to travel with kids IMO.