Has anyone done Dolphin Discovery on your own?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took the grandsons (9 & 11) last summer on our own. There are always some type of specials going on. Get there early as the ship usually has a large group that gets priority. They do not allow you to take pictures near the dolphins - they sell you there photos at an astronomical price.

Hal

We were in St Kitts last year on a cruise with a big group. Several couples scheduled the dolphin encounter directly on their website (look for discounts). They had no problem getting taxis to take them to the location.

• 1 month later...

We did the Dolphin Discovery last week when in St. Kitts on Allure of the Seas. We booked on our own--via an independent shore excursion company (refundable if ship doesn't make port, etc).

The cost was about $20 less per person than through the cruise line, but our main reason for booking on our own was the age requirement in place by the cruise line. DD is 6. RCCL requires participants to be at least 8, but Dolphin Discovery & independent company only requires participants to be 6 as long as there is an adult in the water with them.

Transportation was not an issue at all. There is a taxi staging area at the end of the dock. It was $3 per person each way. Taxis were in good condition. The drive to Dolphin Discovery is very short.

The swim was great. DD loved it (so did my 70+ year old mom).

There is a restaurant there. We didn't see anyone eating. We sat on the porch & purchased some sodas while waiting for our turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Good to know this 70 year old will be doing this also ''

We did the Dolphin Discovery last week when in St. Kitts on Allure of the Seas. We booked on our own--via an independent shore excursion company (refundable if ship doesn't make port, etc).

The cost was about $20 less per person than through the cruise line, but our main reason for booking on our own was the age requirement in place by the cruise line. DD is 6. RCCL requires participants to be at least 8, but Dolphin Discovery & independent company only requires participants to be 6 as long as there is an adult in the water with them.

Transportation was not an issue at all. There is a taxi staging area at the end of the dock. It was $3 per person each way. Taxis were in good condition. The drive to Dolphin Discovery is very short.

There is a restaurant there. We didn't see anyone eating. We sat on the porch & purchased some sodas while waiting for our turn.

• 7 months later...

So how much do they get you for each photo? ... ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

After we were done, we went back to port. Word to the wise- arrange for your taxi driver to come back for you. There are no taxi stands and when I asked the staff to call a taxi for us, they were clearly irritated. It was about an hour until their posted closing time but I guess they were closing early because they couldn't get us out of there fast enough. They ended up asking another family if we could ride with them. (Can you say Awkward?) They were nice and said yes, but I felt like a burden. Great experience, just make sure you have a way to get back to the pier worked out ahead of time.

• 4 months later...