Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

Just wondering if P&O are now adhering to the strict boarding time stipulations on the E-Docs.

Would be interested to hear of recent experiences - the ship, the stated boarding time, your time of arrival to check in and the actual boarding time.

In my case, it will be for Azura, if that affects matters. They want me to arrive at 3pm. Lunch at 3.30 is rather late...

I assume P&O have some unusual constraints that don't impact American lines. Typically with them I would check-in at 10.30am and be aboard by about 11.15.

Many thanks.

I assume P&O have some unusual constraints that don't impact American lines. Typically with them I would check-in at 10.30am and be aboard by about 11.15.

Many thanks.

You have checked in at 10:30? Where was that then if you don't mind me asking?

You have checked in at 10:30? Where was that then if you don't mind me asking?

Barcelona, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Bayonne (New Jersey).

Been a long time since I sailed with RCCL or Celebrity from Southampton so I can't remember the exact time, but certainly early enough to be aboard by noon.

Been a long time since I sailed with RCCL or Celebrity from Southampton so I can't remember the exact time, but certainly early enough to be aboard by noon.

I have certainly been sitting on the aft terrace of the Eclipse buffet enjoying a cocktail at 11:30 more than once at Southampton.

Recent experiences. Well when it started 18 month ago the priority passengers did not start checking in until 12.30 to 12.45. And boarding was after this when the cabins were ready. This has changed somewhat and those with priority are taken on as early as 12.00 although it is more likely to be nearer 12.30. This means that the Baltic passengers are earlier to board and there is a knock on effect. Many people have reported that boarding is easier now as everyone is not trying to be first on and turning up at 11.30. It is quite clear that there has to be some system to accommodate the number of cruisers there are. I have now boarded 7 times in the new system.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi

I would appreciate some clarification on this. If I arrive early for P&O embarkation will I be made to wait? I have been allotted a 3.30 embarkation time but was planning to turn up at noon.

Thanks

Cathy

Hi

I would appreciate some clarification on this. If I arrive early for P&O embarkation will I be made to wait? I have been allotted a 3.30 embarkation time but was planning to turn up at noon.

Thanks

Cathy

You are given a colour and number which matches you embarkation time. So if there are people in the room waiting with an earlier time they will go first. So yes you will have to wait.

However as I said above they are working at speeding this up. They say they will not hold people unnecessarily so if they get ahead of themselves they will board you at the first possible time. But you will board as per the card. E.g. If you are still there at 14.30 and someone comes in with a 15.00 time they will board before you.

Hi

Thanks

Cathy

We had a 3.30pm embarkation but a change of plan on the way down in the car meant we turned up at 12.33

We had just sat down to wait and our 'letter' was called, we were on board at 12.58 and straight for lunch and a pint, holiday had started!!

This was brought in in Aug. 2015 on Britannia and the rest of the fleet from Oct. of course this is only for Southampton departures.

We had a 3.30pm embarkation but a change of plan on the way down in the car meant we turned up at 12.33

We had just sat down to wait and our 'letter' was called, we were on board at 12.58 and straight for lunch and a pint, holiday had started!!

Exactly, you can be lucky as in this case or you can wait. As I have said above.

If you have an embarkation time of 3 - 3.30 you won't have much time to get something to eat as Muster drill is usually around 4.30 - 5.00 p.m. We don't bother now and just have an early dinner around 6.00 p.m. that night, as we have freedom dining.

We have had 3.30 times on last 2 cruises and arrived around 2.30, sat in terminal for around 30 minutes. No problem just enough time to fill in the heath questionnaire and pop to the toilets.

If people turn up pretty much around their allotted time, there shouldn't be too much of a wait.

Hi

Thanks

Cathy

We had the same for our first Britannia cruise (first with P&O). Turned up at 11.30 like we used to for Carnival and RCCI, having not read the edocs, and yes, we were made to wait nearly 3 hours :mad:

I'll second that, and add Port Canaveral and LA to the list.

My experience of the new system was turning up at the (very late) embarcation time I was given and being made to wait even longer to board, the whole process was a farce and I was not a happy camper. I don't see why the embarcation needs to be so late but I adhered to my slot and that got me nowhere except a very long wait on uncomfortable seats.

I hope it has improved a bit from last year and yes RCl and Celebrity do start to embark before lunch time for all passengers, they just shut of the cabin decks until the cabins are ready but you can use all other facilities.

For those who have traveled more recently has it got any better? there were a lot of complaints last year s may have improved?

Hi

Thanks for the advice , I will take my chance and go at a time more suitable for us.

I remember when disembarking my first ever P&O cruise in Southampton at about 9.30am new passengers were already boarding. This is about 7 years ago.

Shame it has changed, it would be good to get on board early

Regards

Cathy

Hi

Thanks for the advice , I will take my chance and go at a time more suitable for us.

I remember when disembarking my first ever P&O cruise in Southampton at about 9.30am new passengers were already boarding. This is about 7 years ago.

Shame it has changed, it would be good to get on board early

Regards

Cathy

Sorry Cathy but P&O have not embarked passengers before 12.00 since I have sailed with them and that's 16 years. Who you saw getting on could well have been people being shown round the ship. This happens almost every cruise turnaround.

For the first 5+ years embarkation did not start until 14.00. You checked in first and then you went up to the lounge and waited. People started to arrive before 12.00 then as well but had to wait. At that time it was first come first served with only suites getting priority.

My experience of the new system was turning up at the (very late) embarcation time I was given and being made to wait even longer to board, the whole process was a farce and I was not a happy camper. I don't see why the embarcation needs to be so late but I adhered to my slot and that got me nowhere except a very long wait on uncomfortable seats.

I hope it has improved a bit from last year and yes RCl and Celebrity do start to embark before lunch time for all passengers, they just shut of the cabin decks until the cabins are ready but you can use all other facilities.

For those who have traveled more recently has it got any better? there were a lot of complaints last year s may have improved?

I think that sums it up.

Carnival and RCCI let you board and use the facilities, but you are locked out of the cabins, whereas P&O have the cabins ready and waiting for you to use, but the only trouble is - who wants to eat lunch at 3.30 when dinner is around the corner.

I think that sums it up.

Carnival and RCCI let you board and use the facilities, but you are locked out of the cabins, whereas P&O have the cabins ready and waiting for you to use, but the only trouble is - who wants to eat lunch at 3.30 when dinner is around the corner.

But someone has to board last at between 3 and 3.30 not everyone can board at the same time. So are you saying that is OK as long as it is not you?

Exactly, you can be lucky as in this case or you can wait. As I have said above.

Question for daiB or anyone else who uses assisted boarding (wheelchair users etc).

As you are boarded by a team of dockside yellow jacketed helpers, are you still held to the fairly rigid embarkation times, or do you find that it's quicker as they don't want to be standing around waiting for assistance passengers to arrive? Reason I ask is that we aren't in a Suite on our next cruise and are still in the lowly levels of loyalty points, so don't qualify for priority embarkation for the first time in a while.

When we disembarked recently there was an army of assistance staff and nobody waiting to disembark, so we were off in minutes. I wondered if we might be as lucky boarding? We don't have our e-tickets yet with a time, but like to be on board and having lunch before the buffet is rammed as it's the only time we use it!

OK I use a mobility scooter so I do not need assistance to board. I could get it but others need it more.

If you have priority the assistance people will board you with the others in that group. If not you are boarded as per your given time. Now there are many variables.

1 How many staff have they on duty in the assistance team. The number of ships in that day may determine that.

2 how many cruisers need assistance

3 the time everyone has been given and what time they turn up. Not sure if it's marked on the ETicket that you are in need of assistance.

4. How many of the people needing assistance are going to arrive by coach.

The new terminal at Mayflower helps as they can get 5/6 wheelchairs in the much bigger lift than before. This must speed things up.

As far as I can see those needing assistance stay in one area and are boarded when it is their turn. I doubt that people are still being loaded later than 14.30 unless they have turned up later.

Hope that helps.

OK I use a mobility scooter so I do not need assistance to board. I could get it but others need it more.

If you have priority the assistance people will board you with the others in that group. If not you are boarded as per your given time. Now there are many variables.

1 How many staff have they on duty in the assistance team. The number of ships in that day may determine that.

2 how many cruisers need assistance

3 the time everyone has been given and what time they turn up. Not sure if it's marked on the ETicket that you are in need of assistance.

4. How many of the people needing assistance are going to arrive by coach.

The new terminal at Mayflower helps as they can get 5/6 wheelchairs in the much bigger lift than before. This must speed things up.

As far as I can see those needing assistance stay in one area and are boarded when it is their turn. I doubt that people are still being loaded later than 14.30 unless they have turned up later.

Hope that helps.

Thanks daiB. I guess the other thing we can hope for is that when the loyalty scheme gets 'refreshed' post the current World Cruises (as is the speculation), some slightly earlier boarding benefit for Mediterranean tier passengers might be introduced. I doubt it some how, but with the majority of passengers on some ships now being first time P&O cruisers, even those of us in the mid-ranks of loyalty tiers are a minority. As I say, I can live in (vain) hope or just keep blowing our children's inheritance and buy our way up to Caribbean tier :)

We had a time of 2 30 pm last month and arrived about 2 10pm and went straight down Priority Boarding to the check in desk. Quite a few people were sitting waiting. We whizzed through security etc and straight to our cabin in no time at all.

We had a time of 2 30 pm last month and arrived about 2 10pm and went straight down Priority Boarding to the check in desk. Quite a few people were sitting waiting. We whizzed through security etc and straight to our cabin in no time at all.

That sounds more promising, great if that is what happens.