Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

I remember my first cruise. It was with p&o and we got the coach down. This was the days before forums. Well maybe not, it was 2009 but I didn't research holidays then like I do now.

We were so impressed that we put our luggage on the coach at the pick up point and didn't see them again until we were in our room. We were full of "oh this is so much better than an airport" type feelings and comments.

We had an amazing cruise. Loved it.

Disembarkation day we just assumed the same would happen. We put our bags outside our cabin, waited to be called to disembark etc. We thought we'd just walk off the ship and our bags would be on the coach waiting for us, our coach would all disembark together, we'd get on the coach and be on our way. Just like embarkation but in reverse. We hadn't been told otherwise.

We were really shocked when we got off the gangway into a big hall chock full of people and luggage and had to wait similar to an airport. In fact it felt busier and more chaotic. We were stood in a line of people not going anywhere not sure what was going on and after standing around for a while I turned to my partner and said

"This is ridiculous. Why not just let us take our own bags off if we have to collect them anyway. What's the point of having them collected just to walk a few feet and then have to wait to collect them like at an airport. Sigh".

The woman in front of me turned and let me know taking them off was an option. Not in a helpful way. She was quite patronising. She had me pegged as a serial grump from her tone. No doubt if she was on a forum she'd be coming on here or similar complaining about me being unreasonable or a grump etc.

My point is sometimes people just genuinely don't know what the correct system is. And we assume they are just playing the system or being natural born pessimists etc. Sometimes they are just lost and confused and frustrated.

(Now I know the system i do just go with the flow).

Another thing to add is my friend has MS (multiple sclerosis). She can walk flat surfaces or manage occasional kerbs with just her walking stick, albeit slowly. But walking up a gangway could be nigh on impossible for her. You might see her in a wheelchair sometimes, certainly at embarkation. At airports she uses one due to the often long distances to travel. But when she has arrived she prefers to avoid wheelchairs when possible. Someone might see her stood at a bar at one point when they've seen her being wheeled up a gangway in a wheelchair and make all sorts of assumptions and judgements about her.

My sister has fybromyalgia. The pain is often such that she can barely walk. As a result she has gained a lot of weight. She cruises on Arcadia when she can because the hydrotherapy can give her a few hours pain free. People might see her walking from the pool area one day and being pushed in a wheelchair or using a buggy in port another time and make all sorts of assumptions and judgements about her too.

I hope my post doesn't come across as accusatory it's just trying to add another perspective. We don't always know the person's story.

Very well put and and an excellent post.. Sometimes it is easy to be judgemental without really knowing circumstances...as someone has already said on here...I just go with the flow.:)

I totally agree that we shouldn't be judgemental but you have to wonder sometimes. For instance on one cruise some years ago we often saw a family of four moving around the ship, three of them in mobility scooters. We felt quite sympathetic for them. (Incidentally through work I've had quite a bit to do with people with disabilities and mobility issues and fully appreciate that not all disabilities are obvious.)

However at one sailaway party we were surprised to see the mother and son both jump off their mobility scooters and dance around the deck for at least half an hour including the time the son climbed up on a table and was dancing on top of the table until politely asked to get down by a member of the crew. All I can say is that there were more than one or two eyebrows raised and some very unsympathetic comments passed by quite a few of the surrounding passengers.

On another occasion we were travelling in a group with relatives and friends of the relatives one of which was a older lady with mobility issues due to her weight. Several times we witnessed her accept a seat offered by some kindly person when waiting to enter the restaurant of an evening. Only to immediately jump up and push all aside including young children as soon as the restaurant doors opened. It was most embarrassing as we were sharing a table with the lady.

Edited by AchileLauro

I remember my first cruise. It was with p&o and we got the coach down. This was the days before forums. Well maybe not, it was 2009 but I didn't research holidays then like I do now.

We were so impressed that we put our luggage on the coach at the pick up point and didn't see them again until we were in our room. We were full of "oh this is so much better than an airport" type feelings and comments.

We had an amazing cruise. Loved it.

Disembarkation day we just assumed the same would happen. We put our bags outside our cabin, waited to be called to disembark etc. We thought we'd just walk off the ship and our bags would be on the coach waiting for us, our coach would all disembark together, we'd get on the coach and be on our way. Just like embarkation but in reverse. We hadn't been told otherwise.

We were really shocked when we got off the gangway into a big hall chock full of people and luggage and had to wait similar to an airport. In fact it felt busier and more chaotic. We were stood in a line of people not going anywhere not sure what was going on and after standing around for a while I turned to my partner and said

"This is ridiculous. Why not just let us take our own bags off if we have to collect them anyway. What's the point of having them collected just to walk a few feet and then have to wait to collect them like at an airport. Sigh".

The woman in front of me turned and let me know taking them off was an option. Not in a helpful way. She was quite patronising. She had me pegged as a serial grump from her tone. No doubt if she was on a forum she'd be coming on here or similar complaining about me being unreasonable or a grump etc.

My point is sometimes people just genuinely don't know what the correct system is. And we assume they are just playing the system or being natural born pessimists etc. Sometimes they are just lost and confused and frustrated.

(Now I know the system i do just go with the flow).

Another thing to add is my friend has MS (multiple sclerosis). She can walk flat surfaces or manage occasional kerbs with just her walking stick, albeit slowly. But walking up a gangway could be nigh on impossible for her. You might see her in a wheelchair sometimes, certainly at embarkation. At airports she uses one due to the often long distances to travel. But when she has arrived she prefers to avoid wheelchairs when possible. Someone might see her stood at a bar at one point when they've seen her being wheeled up a gangway in a wheelchair and make all sorts of assumptions and judgements about her.

My sister has fybromyalgia. The pain is often such that she can barely walk. As a result she has gained a lot of weight. She cruises on Arcadia when she can because the hydrotherapy can give her a few hours pain free. People might see her walking from the pool area one day and being pushed in a wheelchair or using a buggy in port another time and make all sorts of assumptions and judgements about her too.

I hope my post doesn't come across as accusatory it's just trying to add another perspective. We don't always know the person's story.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very true and well explained.

I totally agree that we shouldn't be judgemental but you have to wonder sometimes. For instance on one cruise some years ago we often saw a family of four moving around the ship, three of them in mobility scooters. We felt quite sympathetic for them. (Incidentally through work I've had quite a bit to do with people with disabilities and mobility issues and fully appreciate that not all disabilities are obvious.)

However at one sailaway party we were surprised to see the mother and son both jump off their mobility scooters and dance around the deck for at least half an hour including the time the son climbed up on a table and was dancing on top of the table until politely asked to get down by a member of the crew. All I can say is that there were more than one or two eyebrows raised and some very unsympathetic comments passed by quite a few of the surrounding passengers.

On another occasion we were travelling in a group with relatives and friends of the relatives one of which was a older lady with mobility issues due to her weight. Several times we witnessed her accept a seat offered by some kindly person when waiting to enter the restaurant of an evening. Only to immediately jump up and push all aside including young children as soon as the restaurant doors opened. It was most embarrassing as we were sharing a table with the lady.

It is sad people take advantage of others generosity.

Just returned from Oriana and and confirm that on this cruise embarkation times were strictly adhered to, although it went a little quicker than anticipated and we boarded approx 15 minutes before our allocated time.

Just returned from Oriana and and confirm that on this cruise embarkation times were strictly adhered to, although it went a little quicker than anticipated and we boarded approx 15 minutes before our allocated time.

Excellent. In my opinion the main thing is that they are consistent and if they have a system, they should adhere to it. They have made it quite clear that they won't hold people back unnecessarily, but it's not fair to those who comply with it if others are blatantly allowed to buck the system.

Edited by Scriv

Scriv, clearly you would enjoy life in a totalitarian marxist run country, maybe you will get your way tomorrow.;p:cool::)

John you are losing the plot. Since when has doing the right thing be ultra left wing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Scriv, clearly you would enjoy life in a totalitarian marxist run country, maybe you will get your way tomorrow.;p:cool::)

John, you couldn't be more wrong about me lol ;) I don't believe we have met yet?

Edited by Scriv

Pleased to hear that too. Whilst a degree of flexibility is fine, if P &O are consistent with how they deal with boarding across the fleet, eventually people will start turning up reasonably close to their boarding time, and stop making excuses as to why they HAVE to turn up early. Just shows a lack of respect for other passengers...imho.

Scriv.....and John ....you can check whether you are likely to meet...his future cruises are well documented...:D

I always read these threads with a smile, amazes me the keenness to get on board but walk around the first sea day and the ship looks either like a public library or a sleepover. I'm always surprised what the rush to get on was about.

Well, as some of you know I hate their system, but, whether we think the system needs improving or not, we are going to keep to our boarding time in August to be fair to those passengers who are. (If that makes sense). We are likely to get a 3.30pm time - unless there is a miracle - as we are on Ventura, D deck.

We are staying over in Southampton before we sail and will stay in the hotel as long as we can the day we embark. We will probably take the taxi to the terminal to drop our luggage off and then go in to town to have a meal somewhere. (And then go in to town to pick up a box of wine before we go back ;-) ) We are planning on walking, so will just have to pray for good weather.

Has anyone got an idea of somewhere close by that does a good meal and is reasonable? I.e. between the Ocean Terminal and the town centre. Nothing too fancy as we will be facing 17 nights on the ship !

Thanks

If you walk east from the port gate there is the Admiral Sir Lucius Curtiss, a Wetherspoons, again pub lunches and good beer.

The Port gate to which terminal. Usually I use the Herbert Walker Avenue entrance but there are others.

Just back from Baltic on Britannia. We had 3pm boarding and turned up at 2.50pm - only to find the terminal absolutely packed with backlog of passengers. Apparently there had been a problem with the air bridge disconnecting itself so no one else could get on board until fixed. We eventually were checked in at 4.10pm and had brief settling in time before a delayed muster. Not the best of starts, but the cruise was fantastic and loved the ship. Disembarkation was very orderly - just the usual scrum finding your cases and escaping...!