Celebrity cruiser tries Azamara

Tom47

DW and I tried Azamara, because of the itinerary--all new ports on West Indies Hideaways cruise starting March 10--St John, USVI, Guadeloupe, St. Barts, Nevis, Virgin Gorda, BVI and Roseau, Dominica. Dominica was replace with St. Maarten for "operational reasons."

Pros: We had our Elite status from X transferred over to Azamara. Wine/beer and most mixed drinks were included in base price. Service was excellent. Wait staff kept our wine glasses filled. Windows buffet had labels showing which items were Lactose free/gluten free. DW is lactose intolerant.

Cons: Dinner menu did not have Lactose free symbols for menu items. X has this for B/L/D in MDR. DW is allergic to Aloe and bathroom toiletries were aloe based. We asked our steward if we could get non aloe toiletries and he said sorry, no. We prefer firm pillows for neck support and our steward brought us Isotonic pillows which were not full size. Shower was very, very small.

We met some lovely people and made some new friends.

We booked another cruise, Sea of Cortez, Feb, 2018 on Azamara Quest, same ship.

Bonnie, I completed the online survey with a request for non Aloe toiletries and full size firm pillows on Sea of Cortez cruise and included my Res# last week. I have not received a response. Do people at Azamara read these post cruise surveys or they farmed out to a third party?

Hi, We were on the same cruise. Agree with Tom's assessment.

A few other things to add.

1. Tender service was excellent

2. Did not enjoy the included wines but drinks were great

3. MDR service variable.

4. Specialties excellent.

5. Smoke from smoking areas was terrible and noticeable in adjacent stairwells and on top deck when walking. Very unpleasant for me.

6. Also allergic to Aloe but knew ahead so brought my own products. Please rethink the use of Aloe inclusive products.

Do people at Azamara read these post cruise surveys or they farmed out to a third party?

I can answer this one. Azamara most certainly reads the comments submitted via the on-line survey instrument, and actions them. We recently sailed B2B Singapore->Sydney->Auckland on the Journey. After the first leg, we completed the on-line survey (we were still on board, a couple days out of Sydney). We submitted a few constructive criticisms re Housekeeping and Dining. Two days later, managers from both departments contacted us to follow up. One by a phone call from someone in Dining, and one a personal visit by the head of Housekeeping. I was astounded that (a) comments submitted via the on-line survey had been reviewed that quickly; (b) concerns had been immediately communicated from Miami to the ship; and © responsible managers on-board followed up. That's impressive.

We had similar experience with feedback provided mid-cruise on the paper survey form. This was our first experience on Azamara, and we found them to be extraordinarily responsive to customer input.

• Like 1

I can answer this one. Azamara most certainly reads the comments submitted via the on-line survey instrument, and actions them. We recently sailed B2B Singapore->Sydney->Auckland on the Journey. After the first leg, we completed the on-line survey (we were still on board, a couple days out of Sydney). We submitted a few constructive criticisms re Housekeeping and Dining. Two days later, managers from both departments contacted us to follow up. One by a phone call from someone in Dining, and one a personal visit by the head of Housekeeping. I was astounded that (a) comments submitted via the on-line survey had been reviewed that quickly; (b) concerns had been immediately communicated from Miami to the ship; and © responsible managers on-board followed up. That's impressive.

We had similar experience with feedback provided mid-cruise on the paper survey form. This was our first experience on Azamara, and we found them to be extraordinarily responsive to customer input.

Thanks, but still waiting for a reply. DW also filled out a survey while still onboard and asked about pillows. No response there also.

Hi, We were on the same cruise. Agree with Tom's assessment.

A few other things to add.

1. Tender service was excellent

2. Did not enjoy the included wines but drinks were great

3. MDR service variable.

4. Specialties excellent.

5. Smoke from smoking areas was terrible and noticeable in adjacent stairwells and on top deck when walking. Very unpleasant for me.

6. Also allergic to Aloe but knew ahead so brought my own products. Please rethink the use of Aloe inclusive products.

Just interested to know from other cruisers please, is smoke from smoking areas really bad, - personally I also find it unpleasant. I assume smoking is banned in cabins and balconies? Thanks in advance for responses.

Thanks, but still waiting for a reply. DW also filled out a survey while still onboard and asked about pillows. No response there also.

The pillows are a problem for both my husband and I. He likes a pillow that is not too firm and fluffy and I like a firm, fluffy pillow and the Azamara pillows didn't work for either of us! Go figure!

He has neck problems and asked for flatter pillows and they found him some, but he still wasn't comfortable. It seemed like they just flattened down to nothing. I wonder if they work for anyone?

Next cruise, he is going to have to try to pack a pillow!

We had no issues with smoking at all on our Azamara cruise. I couldn't figure out the earlier comment at all. :confused:

We also found Azamara absolutely the most responsive cruise line to comments. We filled out the mid-cruise form and complained about too much mint on every bowl of berries -- the chef called us immediately, shared his own dislike of mint garnish, and banned it for the rest of the cruise! Another time we suggested an improvement to the Sudoku "competition" [which didn't actually involved any competition at all] to Cruise Director Russ, and he carefully noted the way it had been done on other ships and directed his staff to copy that. Done and done! We couldn't be happier with the way Azamara handles complaints/suggestions!

We had no issues with smoking at all on our Azamara cruise. I couldn't figure out the earlier comment at all. :confused:

Same for me; it has never been a problem. Smoking is banned everywhere on the ship including staterooms and balconies *except* 2 designated outside smoking areas which you can easily avoid. Now if I were to go walk there, I guess I would smell something...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same for me; it has never been a problem. Smoking is banned everywhere on the ship including staterooms and balconies *except* 2 designated outside smoking areas which you can easily avoid. Now if I were to go walk there, I guess I would smell something...

On Azamara Journey there was only one smoking area on deck 9 port side by the pool bar. Does Quest have two areas (deck plans only show one)?

I only know of one outside smoking area. One side of the pool bar on each ship. We do avoid entering through the smoking side to go to the pool bar. It's the cigars that really bother me.

We also did a mid cruise survey on our last cruise. I received a phone call the next morning from the head of guest services. I had some minor issues I was concerned with. They were addressed and taken care of.

Most of my comments on the survey were very positive. We've had very little to complain about on any of our Azamara cruises.

Yes, there is just one, port side forward on deck 9. It used to be on the starboard side, but when they redid the ships and opened up the spa access the smoke drifted into the reception area and there were complaints. No smell there now. On the Pool Deck and the one above it does depend upon wind direction and where you are and I agree cigars if there are stogie smokers on your cruise are particularly smelly. Having said all of that it's never been a real problem for me. Perhaps if I'm sitting on a table near the Pool Bar with friends I'll choose the starboard side to be further away.

As with all places that allow limited smoking areas (limited is an excellent compromise) it does concentrate all the smoke in one area, however I much prefer it that way than on Celebrity where there were more options for smokers). A concentration will produce "collateral aromas" however my experience has been it's over such a short area it's something you can avoid or walk by knowing fresher air will be with you soon.

I've not had an issue at the Pool Bar but I can see it could happen with the toxic combination of pungent cigars, a large number of smokers and wind in a certain direction.

On one cruise I did detect a feint aroma, actually I was sitting having a drink at the Pool Bar chatting to others not noticing it when an older blonde haired woman who clearly had an issue came past like a demented windmill flapping her arms and tutting. That performance which we then saw her repeat every time she passed that area for the rest of the cruise triggered feint awareness of the aroma. Had Granny Windmill not come by, I doubt I would have noticed- and regrettably I have "smoking sons who think I don't know" so I'm pretty alert to ciggy smoke :*

There happened to be a lot of smokers on this trip - cigars as well. We noticed it even at the far side of the pool bar but not so much that we did not sit there on occasion. There may not be another option on these ships but for us, it was a negative. Good that it does not bother some and of course it varies by cruise according to the population on board.

: Dinner menu did not have Lactose free symbols for menu items. X has this for B/L/D in MDR.

I too am Lactose Intolerant.

Agree that I prefer the symbols that Celebrity use, but as I was asked to pre order my next evenings food from the menu so that it could be especially prepared, they are probably pointless.

I was given the menu for starter and mains, but never the sweet menu, so was limited to sorbet. However, about a week into our cruise we attended the Officers buffet.

HD Philip, saw me wandering looking for the Lactose free labels and asked me how I was finding the choice options. I told him about the lack of sweet options. He said he would have a word with the chef and thereafter I was given a Lactose free 'special.'

28bfb76b29cf5121ef0e39921f953ffb.jpg

322942d87d851d61816fe8b2f2ad9e67.jpg

I am allergic to feathers / Down so I request BEFORE that our bedding be allergy free. Works and so much better than asking for the bedding to be switched out on boarding day. Maybe you could request those firm pillows in advance

Thought...

There happened to be a lot of smokers on this trip - cigars as well. We noticed it even at the far side of the pool bar but not so much that we did not sit there on occasion. There may not be another option on these ships but for us, it was a negative. Good that it does not bother some and of course it varies by cruise according to the population on board.

Yes, I agree. We were on this cruise and there were a LOT of smokers - in fact we commented on it a few times. I never saw less than 6 people in that area at any time of day and often many more. The area by the elevators at the back of the poolside bar and on the deck above always smelled of smoke and we tended to avoid using the door on that side to go onto the pool deck as there were always a lot of smokers there.

Whilst it may not bother some people I would say that I found it an issue on occasion when smokers drifted away from the seating section to chat to people on loungers or at the bar and particularly on White Night when the table hoggers were out in full force very early on and by the time we got there the only empty seats remaining were all tables adjacent to the smoking section. I, for one, don't want to be eating and smelling smoke :(

DW and I tried Azamara, because of the itinerary--all new ports on West Indies Hideaways cruise starting March 10--St John, USVI, Guadeloupe, St. Barts, Nevis, Virgin Gorda, BVI and Roseau, Dominica. Dominica was replace with St. Maarten for "operational reasons."

Pros: We had our Elite status from X transferred over to Azamara. Wine/beer and most mixed drinks were included in base price. Service was excellent. Wait staff kept our wine glasses filled. Windows buffet had labels showing which items were Lactose free/gluten free. DW is lactose intolerant.

Cons: Dinner menu did not have Lactose free symbols for menu items. X has this for B/L/D in MDR. DW is allergic to Aloe and bathroom toiletries were aloe based. We asked our steward if we could get non aloe toiletries and he said sorry, no. We prefer firm pillows for neck support and our steward brought us Isotonic pillows which were not full size. Shower was very, very small.

We met some lovely people and made some new friends.

We booked another cruise, Sea of Cortez, Feb, 2018 on Azamara Quest, same ship.

Bonnie, I completed the online survey with a request for non Aloe toiletries and full size firm pillows on Sea of Cortez cruise and included my Res# last week. I have not received a response. Do people at Azamara read these post cruise surveys or they farmed out to a third party?

Hello Tom47,

You can be assured all surveys are read, reviewed with staff, and shared with the appropriate departments.

I looked into your case, and yes, your special requests for your 2018 cruise have been added to that future booking, as well as noted in what we call your 'service history'.

Thank you so much for booking with us again! We look forward to welcoming you and DW aboard :D

Bonnie

Hello Tom47,

You can be assured all surveys are read, reviewed with staff, and shared with the appropriate departments.

I looked into your case, and yes, your special requests for your 2018 cruise have been added to that future booking, as well as noted in what we call your 'service history'.

Thank you so much for booking with us again! We look forward to welcoming you and DW aboard :D

Bonnie

Thank You Bonnie!:)