Room Choice/Upgrade dilemna

alibabacruisers

Just to update you all (thanks for all of your input on this thread!):)

The original booking was correct (Obstructed OV). The other booking we are guessing (Cunard, TA and us) was an overzealous agent who we got a quote from for this cruise in the early stages of our research. We got quite a few quotes (none were told to hold or given a down payment) so I still don't understanding how they were able to get Cunard to issue a booking number without a down payment or anything, but annyywwaayy.......That booking has disappeared now thereby dissolving the need for me to get upset and try to figure out upgrade vs downgrade, etc.

Whew! Now I can just enjoy the process of anticipating our cruise!:)

A Good TA will always take an Option which creates a Booking # . No Deposit required for that.

That insures that nothing changes while the client decides if they wish to book .

The Option will expire within a few days (or even hours when booked close in) if not deposited , thus you see the booking disappear.

Edited by MCC retired

Fortunately this didn't happen to the OP though.

Yes thankfully it didn't happen ....as I posted earlier I was thinking it could be a possible mistake but with the opening thread it did seem like they had been downgraded and it was that that made me think that I wouldn't be happy to cruise with a company that downgraded you.

Anyway "All's well that ends well" ... as in this case :)

A Good TA will always take an Option which creates a Booking # . No Deposit required for that.

That insures that nothing changes while the client decides if they wish to book .

The Option will expire within a few days (or even hours when booked close in) if not deposited , thus you see the booking disappear.

I did not know they were able to create a booking number like that because if I did it would have saved me a lot of anxiety. I thought it the Cunard booking came from the actual booking I did make and thought they "upgraded" me and was so confused. (And you are right it has since disappeared). Thank goodness for CC and I am always learning from you guys! Next time I won't panic so quickly.

Incidentally, this booking was for a 2019 cruise so still have a long time to wait, but the anticipation is half the fun! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Just to update you all (thanks for all of your input on this thread!):)

The original booking was correct (Obstructed OV). The other booking we are guessing (Cunard, TA and us) was an overzealous agent who we got a quote from for this cruise in the early stages of our research. We got quite a few quotes (none were told to hold or given a down payment) so I still don't understanding how they were able to get Cunard to issue a booking number without a down payment or anything, but annyywwaayy.......That booking has disappeared now thereby dissolving the need for me to get upset and try to figure out upgrade vs downgrade, etc.

Whew! Now I can just enjoy the process of anticipating our cruise!:)

Most companies issue a booking reference esp to a TA, while giving you a few days to effect the deposit payment