Age Restrictions

My husband's niece wants to book a Carnival cruise. I just did a payment for my cruise today and it said this in fine print on the bottom:

* If the primary traveler in your room is 24 or under, you will need to add a cruiser who’s 25 or older to your cabin.

* If the primary traveler in your room is 24 or under, you will need to add a cruiser who’s 25 or older to She is 24. So does this mean she can't book a cabin by herself?

I went and tried to look under Carnival's minor policy and found this:

Minor Guest Policy. Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. ... Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.

Minor Guest Policy. Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their That seems to contradict the first rule. Can anyone shed some light on this? Can she, in fact, at age 24, book a cabin by herself?

Edited by lovestocruise19
part of post wasn't showing due to formatting

Looks like she can:

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation. The Group policy is slightly different because of stricter group terms and conditions including mandatory chaperones, damage deposits and other considerations.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.

24 AND UNDER....if she's 24, she's fine.

"24 or under, you will need to add a cruiser who’s 25 or older to your cabin."

I don't think you read it correctly. It says 24 and under, you will need to ADD a cruiser who is 25 or older. So not fine according to this, but fine according to another thing listed on the Carnival site.

Looks like she can:

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation. The Group policy is slightly different because of stricter group terms and conditions including mandatory chaperones, damage deposits and other considerations.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.

Yeah, this is part of what I saw searching online (because my computer wouldn't let me see the full description on Carnival.)

if shes 24 and under, she can book if she has a child.

if she doesnt have a child she either needs someone over 25 in the room, or be part of a group where the person over 25 is listed

Surely this can't be true. Think of all the "spring breakers" who cruise without their parents. Also, my mother booked a Carnival cruise for May for me and my friend (both of us are 23) through Carnival directly and there was no problem getting us our own separate rooms. In fact, even my brother who is not 21 yet was able to get his own room. Granted we all are traveling together, but each of us have our own separate rooms. But who knows!

if shes 24 and under, she can book if she has a child.

if she doesnt have a child she either needs someone over 25 in the room, or be part of a group where the person over 25 is listed

where is this listed? thats not what the carnival site says online

NO. Let me repeat, NO.

One must be 25 to book a cabin. There are exceptions to the minimum 25 rule including married couples and military personnel. Obviously married couples with children are allowed.

As an example, a husband and wife ages 24 and 22 with a child are allowed as part of the exception.

where is this listed? thats not what the carnival site says online

When I made a payment on my account this evening I saw the message about needing to add someone 25 or older ("24 or under, you will need to add a cruiser who’s 25 or older to your cabin").

When I made a payment on my account this evening I saw the message about needing to add someone 25 or older ("24 or under, you will need to add a cruiser who’s 25 or older to your cabin").

interesting.. that is not what carnival says online. This is straight from carnival

MINOR GUEST POLICY

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation.

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.
  • The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.
  • When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.
  • Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.
  • Minors Traveling Together: The policy is slightly different because of stricter guidelines as follows:
    • Must have 1 chaperone for every 8 minors
    • Prepaid gratuities per minor are due at final payment
    • 8 or more staterooms must be booked through the Group Department and a $100 damage deposit per minor will be charged.

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Exceptions: Guests under the age of 21 may travel without a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older under the following conditions:

• For both exceptions below, bookings should be carefully documented.
  • Documentation should be e-mailed prior to the cruise to individualsailingsupport@carnival.com or hand-carried to embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

Legally married couples, including same gender couples

• Proper documentation must be submitted.
  • Documentation includes: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application or certificate signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Qualified Military Personnel

• Applies to US Military Personnel and Canadian National Defense personnel (and their traveling companions in the same stateroom) of 18 – 20 years of age.
  • Copy of proof of service must be submitted.

NO. Let me repeat, NO.

One must be 25 to book a cabin. There are exceptions to the minimum 25 rule including married couples and military personnel. Obviously married couples with children are allowed.

As an example, a husband and wife ages 24 and 22 with a child are allowed as part of the exception.

im curious to know why the carnival site disagrees with this.

im curious to know why the carnival site disagrees with this.

Wow, this may be new! Perhaps they lowered the limits as a reading of that seems quite clear. I had always known about the limit and had in fact looked for my daughter some time back. She's passed the 25 threshold at this point.

Edited by jsglow

If I'm reading everything correctly people are getting confused because it depends on the ages of others in the cabin.

You can book and go on the cruise if you are 21 or over and alone.

You can book and go on a cruise if you are 21 or over and take your kids.

You CAN'T book a cruise if you are under 25 and are booking with other minors (under 21) that are not your kid. For example, you're 24 year old niece can't book and take her 18 year old friend.

NO. Let me repeat, NO.

When did this change? It used to be 21 to book on your own, and if under 21, then you needed someone 25+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm reading everything correctly people are getting confused because it depends on the ages of others in the cabin.

You can book and go on the cruise if you are 21 or over and alone.

You can book and go on a cruise if you are 21 or over and take your kids.

You CAN'T book a cruise if you are under 25 and are booking with other minors (under 21) that are not your kid. For example, you're 24 year old niece can't book and take her 18 year old friend.

This is my understanding. My friend booked and traveled alone when he was 23. This was two year ago.

One of my student's just tried to book a cruise for him and his girlfriend they are 21 and 23 and they were told they had to have someone 25 or older with them

So I know they allow married couples but I just wonder what if both members of the married couple party are 17 would they still allow them to book?

One of my student's just tried to book a cruise for him and his girlfriend they are 21 and 23 and they were told they had to have someone 25 or older with them

So I know they allow married couples but I just wonder what if both members of the married couple party are 17 would they still allow them to book?

Your student was poorly informed.

As long as the young couple can prove their legally sanctioned union (which could be as young as 16 based on the most common age-of-consent laws), they could book according to the policy as written.

As long as the young couple can prove their legally sanctioned union (which could be as young as 16 based on the most common age-of-consent laws), they could book according to the policy as written.

I think you mis-read the post. The student and girlfriend are not married.

Wow, this may be new! Perhaps they lowered the limits as a reading of that seems quite clear. I had always known about the limit and had in fact looked for my daughter some time back. She's passed the 25 threshold at this point.

This has been the rule since I started sailing with my kids on carnival. That was in jan 2014. I think people just get confused by the wording or when they partially read it. You have to be 25 to be someones guardian (note this doesn't apply to parents). Actually none of this has changed since that time. The age where you need a guardian and the exceptions are the same. All of the stated rules look just as they did several years back when I first started checking them. Needed to do that to know how I could arrange my family of 10 into cabins.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

I think you mis-read the post. The student and girlfriend are not married.

I think you misread the post and my answer.

There are two separate things in the first post and my reply addressed each of them individually.

I think you misread the post and my answer.

There are two separate things in the first post and my reply addressed each of them individually.

Oh I see that now. It looked like it was all one reply about the student. I guess you are correct after reading the rules again. If both are over 21 it should not be an issue. The only issue is a 21-24 year old with someone under 21.