SOFA BED QUESTION for Anthem, Quantum, or Ovation Cruisers?????

We are on Anthem in a few weeks, and we have a balcony room that has the sofa bed for the third person.

Here's my question: How does the bed fold out of the couch? Does anyone have any pictures? What I REALLY want to do with the couch is slide a toddler bed rail into "the crack" in the sofa where I think the bed comes out of the couch....and not actually unfold the whole couch into a bed. Is this possible? Just trying to come up with the best,most space saving sleeping arrangement for my toddler.

We are on Anthem in a few weeks, and we have a balcony room that has the sofa bed for the third person.

Here's my question: How does the bed fold out of the couch? Does anyone have any pictures? What I REALLY want to do with the couch is slide a toddler bed rail into "the crack" in the sofa where I think the bed comes out of the couch....and not actually unfold the whole couch into a bed. Is this possible? Just trying to come up with the best,most space saving sleeping arrangement for my toddler.

Some people turn the couch around so the lower end is against the wall.

Some people turn the couch around so the lower end is against the wall.

The couches, on the 3 ships I listed, are not able to turn around, the back cushions are velcro'd to the wall....so that is why i have the question i have. Thanks in advance!

I was trying to find out how they work too, but not for a rail. It was pretty difficult to find info. I found some videos online if I'm remembering correctly. I am under the impression that it opens like a book. Does that make sense? Not sure there is a place for a rail. I did see that the desk can be moved though. I wonder if you could push that up against the open side?

I'm obviously not the best resource, but wanted to chime in since I researched as well.

The thing is you could research this to death and think you have a solution but in your particular cabin things could be different. Trust that your cabin steward will have some solution for you - it is very unlikely you are the first person who has wanted some setup like this and that you will have to invent the wheel.

I am under the impression that it opens like a book. Does that make sense? Not sure there is a place for a rail. I did see that the desk can be moved though. I wonder if you could push that up against the open side?

I'm obviously not the best resource, but wanted to chime in since I researched as well.

Thanks for your response!! It seems people don't like to actually answer my question but rather basically tell me not search hahahaha soooo I appreciate your real response.

So when you say you think the couch opens like a book, you mean the cushion pulls upward from the wall sideand folds open? (whereas older sofa beds on cruises pull out from the front and pop up). again I appreciate your response... I cannot find any sofa bed pictures really... and definitely haven't found video myself.

AnthemQuantumoftheSeasSofaBed2_zpsb9e64d47.jpg~original

The bed isn't very high when opened. You could put pillows on the floor around it. That's probably what we'll do with my 2 year old grandson.

It also looks like the back cushion comes off (looks like its standing up in the corner) you could use that also on the floor.

You could also use the inflatable bed bolster under the sheets.

https://www.amazon.com/One-Step-Ahead-Inflatable-Toddlers/dp/B004Y0U52A/ref=sr_1_14_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1491283687&sr=8-14&keywords=inflatable+bolster

Edited by gaylemh

AnthemQuantumoftheSeasSofaBed2_zpsb9e64d47.jpg~original

The bed isn't very high when opened. You could put pillows on the floor around it. That's probably what we'll do with my 2 year old grandson.

It also looks like the back cushion comes off (looks like its standing up in the corner) you could use that also on the floor.

When our granddaughter was 3 or 4 that's basically what we did. i think we also placed the chair from the room next to the bed as an extra precaution, though I wouldn't pretend that's a perfect solution.

Also, when our own kids were younger, on their beds at home with had special sheets with inflatable bumpers in them. that might work best if you can find something like that. Good luck!

PS: Every room I've been in with a sofa bed was set up by the room steward, and din't seem to easily open (but I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack.:confused:

Just got off Anthem and we used the sofa bed. It isn't easy to open and it's not like a typical sofa bed you'd have at home. I don't think you can put a bed rail in with the way it's set up. I would use pillows or ask the room steward for options/assistance. It is low to the floor like previously mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've booked a family junior suite on Anthem for a cruise booked early next year. I'll be cruising with my wife and (will be) 3 year old. I asked/requested rails for the sofa bed and was told that this isn't available for me. We were on a Carnival cruise a few months back, also in a suite, and the couch bed folded open "like a book", as mentioned here, and the bed rails were provided to us in that instance. Kind of sucks, but I'm sure we will figure it out.

I've booked a family junior suite on Anthem for a cruise booked early next year. I'll be cruising with my wife and (will be) 3 year old. I asked/requested rails for the sofa bed and was told that this isn't available for me. We were on a Carnival cruise a few months back, also in a suite, and the couch bed folded open "like a book", as mentioned here, and the bed rails were provided to us in that instance. Kind of sucks, but I'm sure we will figure it out.

Here's my current plan....we have the sofa bed in our room so somehow that bed opens to make a full size bed....whether that folds open from the wall side or whether that pulls out from underneath the front....somewhere, somehow a bed comes out of the couch....so my current plan is to take a lightweight, portable rail with me onboard....then if the bed folds out from the wall side then we will turn the base of the couch around so the fold out side faces outward into the room and we will slip the rail into the fold out side....if the couch pulls out from underneath the bed then we will pull it out slightly and push the rail in and then we will push the bed back under. Thats the current plan, but if it doesn't work we will figure out something.

....so my current plan is to take a lightweight, portable rail with me onboard....

I thought about that too, and mentioned it to my wife, but she said she didn't want to carry one aboard. So we shall see!

Whenever we travel/cruise I always request a bunch of extra pillows for my daughter's bed and put them under the fitted sheet on both sides. She is a pretty wild sleeper and would definitely fall off if they weren't there. Because they are under the fitted sheet, they stay in place and I never have worry about them moving.

We are sailing Anthem in May with her on the sofa bed and will be doing the same thing again.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone else that was wondering how the sofa beds pulled out on Anthem, I found a new video where the kids pull out the sofa bed.

I was wanting to know this information to see if I could just put a toddler rail on the actual sofa rather than opening it, and based on this video I think it is possible.

Here's a link to the video>

Hope this helps anyone else looking.

ahh yes! This is fantastic. We are in the same predicament. It looks like your sailing is ahead of mine, would you update with pictures and let us know what you ended up doing? Thanks!

Yep i will. Write back in this thread at the end of May if I haven't to remind me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

SEJSmiles, any idea if you can post pictures of the toddler rail on the couch? I have a toddler I am cruising with in May and would love to know if we could have him sleep on the couch with it still folded and just use a toddler rail!

SEJSmiles, any idea if you can post pictures of the toddler rail on the couch? I have a toddler I am cruising with in May and would love to know if we could have him sleep on the couch with it still folded and just use a toddler rail!

I can’t figure out how to post a pic, but I was able to just slide the toddler rail in without even unfolding the couch. It worked really well.