Getting off early on a transatlantic (not completing the entire cruise)

I know that you can get off early as an American citizen on a transatlantic when you get to Europe (because I've seen folks do that), but can you get off early as an American when returning to America? For example, if there is a port stop in New York, can you get off there, or must you wait until you arrive in Miami to debark? Because of time constraints and distance to be traveled, getting off 2 days early in New York is preferable if it is legal.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I know of any reason a ship could hold you against your will. It's a cruise ship, not a prison ship. If I wanted to get off the ship, I would just inform the parties in charge that I needed to get off the ship. The ships crew (management) should certainly be aware your leaving, just so they know your not missing. I do not see anyway they could refuse to let you get off and leave the cruise whenever you wanted to leave the ship. Just my two cents

Saw this on an earlier Cruise Critic post. Check to see if this applies to your case. Looks like it might not. But if you get off between NYC and Miami, it might apply to you.

Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA). A foreign flagged ship cannot transport a passenger from one US city to a different US city unless the ship stops at a DISTANT foreign port in between (distant is generally defined as a port outside of North America - so a stop in Canada, Mexico or most Caribbean islands does not count). It is similar to the laws that do not allow a foreign airline to transport you from one US city to another (i.e. you can fly British Airways from a US city to London, but not from one US city to another). While under emergencies people generally are permitted to violate the PVSA, a cruise line generally cannot provide advance permission for someone to violate the PVSA (even if the person is willing to pay the fine) as the cruise line may face harsh additional sanctions if they willingly allow the PVSA to be violated under non-emergency situations (i.e. the ship could be banned at calling at US ports for a period of time).

Since the cruise doesn't begin in the United States, the Passenger Vessel Services Act should not apply (traveling from one US city to another without a distant foreign port stop).

You should contact Royal Caribbean about debarking in NY...my guess is it will be allowed as Customs will be present if NY is the first US stop on the itinerary. You should arrange everything with them.

Since the cruise doesn't begin in the United States, the Passenger Vessel Services Act should not apply (traveling from one US city to another without a distant foreign port stop).

You should contact Royal Caribbean about debarking in NY...my guess is it will be allowed as Customs will be present if NY is the first US stop on the itinerary. You should arrange everything with them.

This is the best & most correct answer. :)

I know that you can get off early as an American citizen on a transatlantic when you get to Europe (because I've seen folks do that), but can you get off early as an American when returning to America? For example, if there is a port stop in New York, can you get off there, or must you wait until you arrive in Miami to debark? Because of time constraints and distance to be traveled, getting off 2 days early in New York is preferable if it is legal.

Should not be a big deal since you are coming from a foreign country and there's no PVSA law in force. Just arrange with the cruise line in advance.

We arranged for an earlier port debarkation for our daughter last summer. If you booked with a TA, the request must go through the TA. We were told it could take up to two weeks for a decision because it is up to the ship's Captain whether to approve the request. However, we received approval within 3 days in writing on a form called "Pre Downline Request."

Here is a link to RCI faq: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=322&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Purchase+&faqId=623

We disembarked two days early in Hawaii in 2015. We sailed from Vancouver. We checked with Operations in Miami well in advance of our departure and they responded that our cruise was approved for early disembarkation. We had to complete downline departure paperwork with Guest Relations once on the ship and we coordinated our departure in Maui with the CL Concierge. I made sure I had my approval email from Miami just in case but it was not needed. Since it was a tender port, the Concierge coordinated luggage assistance for us. When departing the ship we had to turn in our Sea Pass cards to security. Once our paperwork was completed and our Sea Pass account confirmed, the departure process went very smoothly.

A LOT of people got off the ship in New York, on our Transatlantic last November on the Navigator, instead of staying on to Miami. Some disembarked in Port Canaveral too. They informed RCI before the cruise where they would be leaving ship. There was no issue with this as the first port of call was Boston, where all passengers were cleared by US immigration.

Since this cruise, I believe that RCI have introduced an "admin fee" for leaving the ship early. I have read conflicting amounts of $65 or $75 pp.

We arranged for an earlier port debarkation for our daughter last summer. If you booked with a TA, the request must go through the TA. We were told it could take up to two weeks for a decision because it is up to the ship's Captain whether to approve the request. However, we received approval within 3 days in writing on a form called "Pre Downline Request."

Here is a link to RCI faq: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=322&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Purchase+&faqId=623

This is clearly not a decision taken by the Captain!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A LOT of people got off the ship in New York, on our Transatlantic last November on the Navigator, instead of staying on to Miami. Some disembarked in Port Canaveral too. They informed RCI before the cruise where they would be leaving ship. There was no issue with this as the first port of call was Boston, where all passengers were cleared by US immigration.

Since this cruise, I believe that RCI have introduced an "admin fee" for leaving the ship early. I have read conflicting amounts of $65 or $75 pp.

I would not pay a fee for that as you already have to pay for the full cruise even if you miss some days.

If you inform the purser on the ship a few days in afvance they just put you on the manifest for embarkation. Only restriction could be Visa requirements for specific countries, this has to be checked by the guest. If you are allowed to enter the country you are also allowed to leave.

If the request a fee I would just go and miss the ship at departure time. Call the ship or port agent in due time and say sorry you don't make it. There is no fee for that.

I would not pay a fee for that as you already have to pay for the full cruise even if you miss some days.

If you inform the purser on the ship a few days in afvance they just put you on the manifest for embarkation. Only restriction could be Visa requirements for specific countries, this has to be checked by the guest. If you are allowed to enter the country you are also allowed to leave.

If the request a fee I would just go and miss the ship at departure time. Call the ship or port agent in due time and say sorry you don't make it. There is no fee for that.

They might suspect something when your trying to walk off with several suitcases in the morning.

As far as paying for the entire cruise, of course you would, since they can't sell the cabin again unlike a hotel where you check out early, so there is no financial benefit to them of you leaving early. However, they have to pay for submitting a different manifest at departure than arrival, and also to have CBP agents present to clear the disembarking passengers. As another poster has said, if there is another US port before NYC, then you will have cleared Immigration, but will not have cleared Customs, so there will need to be Customs agents to clear you as you disembark, who would not normally be there if no one was permanently disembarking. So, since the alternative to paying a small admin fee is to not allow voluntary downstream embarkation/disembarkations (as most lines have been doing for the last several years since CBP changed their rules for handling passenger manifests), I have no problem with the fee.

As for just "missing the ship" at the port you want to get off in, security looks at you a little strange when you try to walk down the gangway with all your luggage at a port of call, you won't have closed out your onboard account, so you will have a lot more difficulty in debating charges, and since you won't have cleared US Customs, you may have a hard time, or a fine, waiting for you the next time you try to leave the country.

I would not go about it this was to save the small fee to disembark properly.

As far as paying for the entire cruise, of course you would, since they can't sell the cabin again unlike a hotel where you check out early, so there is no financial benefit to them of you leaving early. However, they have to pay for submitting a different manifest at departure than arrival, and also to have CBP agents present to clear the disembarking passengers. As another poster has said, if there is another US port before NYC, then you will have cleared Immigration, but will not have cleared Customs, so there will need to be Customs agents to clear you as you disembark, who would not normally be there if no one was permanently disembarking. So, since the alternative to paying a small admin fee is to not allow voluntary downstream embarkation/disembarkations (as most lines have been doing for the last several years since CBP changed their rules for handling passenger manifests), I have no problem with the fee.

As for just "missing the ship" at the port you want to get off in, security looks at you a little strange when you try to walk down the gangway with all your luggage at a port of call, you won't have closed out your onboard account, so you will have a lot more difficulty in debating charges, and since you won't have cleared US Customs, you may have a hard time, or a fine, waiting for you the next time you try to leave the country.

This is the way I would go about it, if leaving the ship early.

I agree, luggage is an issue. And of course I would not consider it when entering the US. However, no problem with customs and immigration e.g. between European ports.

The manifest for arrivals and departures is a daily routine and quickky done for each port as there are always crew members and especially entertainers coming and going.

We left early e.g. in Bergen instead of Copenhagen and in Stockholm instead of Southampton. We informed the purser some days in advance, all fine. One time we also applied for the authorization letter with Royal but no one on board was aware of our approved early departure or wanted to see the letter.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I know of any reason a ship could hold you against your will. It's a cruise ship, not a prison ship. If I wanted to get off the ship, I would just inform the parties in charge that I needed to get off the ship. The ships crew (management) should certainly be aware your leaving, just so they know your not missing. I do not see anyway they could refuse to let you get off and leave the cruise whenever you wanted to leave the ship. Just my two cents

has nothing to do with the ship holding you against your will. it has to do with whether or not local authorities will allow it. some ports are NOT set up to handle disembarking passengers and will not have customs agents on hand to process reentry.

you also cannot just decide to get off the day of , you must request it and be granted approval to do so.

if you leave anyway, you can be fined, or worse, depending on the exact circumstances. if for no other reason than because you re entered the US illegally( regardless of citizenship or status)

If you booked with a TA, the request must go through the TA. We were told it could take up to two weeks for a decision because it is up to the ship's Captain whether to approve the request. However, we received approval within 3 days in writing on a form called "Pre Downline Request."

You request the downline early disembarkation request directly with RCI - no need to involve the TA. It has nothing to do with the Captain - it has to do with logistics being in place to accommodate the request (such as immigration/customs).

We had to leave a TA suddenly due to a death in the family. We informed Guest Services ( Celebrity Eclipse) who then arranged for immigration to board in Bermuda and clear us for disembarking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You request the downline early disembarkation request directly with RCI - no need to involve the TA. It has nothing to do with the Captain - it has to do with logistics being in place to accommodate the request (such as immigration/customs).

Just reporting what I was told. Of course, RCI seems to follow the "consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" philosophy, so quoting RCI CS is always risky.