August Baltic cruise

In reading through these boards, I see that a chip and pin card is usually needed in Europe. Does anyone know if they usually take American Express? That is the credit card we use while traveling since it has no fees and is a airmiles card too.

My other question is I am watching flights to Copenhagen for August 19, they were about $100 cheaper about a month ago...do the prices continue to climb this far out? I know there is no crystal ball, but I'm not used to booking international flights so not sure if the sweet spot to book has passed?

Thank you!

American Express is fairly well accepted in Europe, but you can't rely on it totally. You could certainly find yourself in the position where it isn't accepted where you want to use it.

Certainly take it, and you will probably be able to use it for most purchases, but have an alternative for the inevitable few occasions where it isn't taken.

In reading through these boards, I see that a chip and pin card is usually needed in Europe. Does anyone know if they usually take American Express? That is the credit card we use while traveling since it has no fees and is a airmiles card too.

American Express and Discover are the two cards with the lowest acceptance rates in Europe. AmEX's cost to the merchant is higher than the equivalent cost of other major credit cards which makes it less appealing to merchants. I don't know about Discover's charge to merchants, but I do know it isn't popularly accepted like Visa or Mastercard.

AmEX is more likely to accepted at hotels and restaurants that cater to the tourist crowd. For example, if a restaurant does a significant portion of its business with the local population, that restaurant is less likely to accept AmEX.

You have time to investigate more available no-fee cards offering air miles between now and August.

I'm surprised your take-away message from reading this board is that Chip and PIN credit cards are needed in Europe. That's not my experience and it's certainly not the message I take away from most posters' experience as well.

Airfare prices will continue to increase so if you see a fare that's within your budget and travel dates, then book it.

Google Flights, Hopper, Skyscanner and Kayak are some good sites/apps that will show you flight options, give you price alerts and let you know whether to buy now or wait.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

When I prepared for my travel Best Guides manager warned me that American Express was not accepted anywhere in Russia. She recommended using Visa or Mastercard. This was 4 years ago. Things could change though.

we did a Baltic Cruise last summer and did not use an Amex card at all as the majority of places visited did not accept it.

With a visa and mastercard which are both widely accepted you will have no problem.

My other question is I am watching flights to Copenhagen for August 19, they were about $100 cheaper about a month ago...do the prices continue to climb this far out? I know there is no crystal ball, but I'm not used to booking international flights so not sure if the sweet spot to book has passed?

Thank you!

Use the app "Hopper". It will track airfares for you and tell you the trend for the ticket and when is the best time to buy it. I am leaving on a cruise from Copenhagen Aug 12 and I bought my ticket 2 months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app