Serious Studio Cabin Questions

caddykid12

Can you control the mood lighting in the room where ALL lights are off!? I need it pitch black to sleep and concerned the ceiling mood lights stay on some color or the blue from the hallway will shine thru the slider shutters

Has anyone stayed on the floor of the studio lounge? Is it more noisy than 10 or 12 with heavier foot traffic. And how noisy are the hallways since ur bed is closest to the hallway side of room?

I'm on 11 now but really thinking to go to 12 and just walk down the top lounge stairs to have access to lounge.

Main concern is noise issues. I do not have a connecting cabin but are walls thin?

Thanks

I haven't stayed in a studio room - however, from photos and videos I've seen online, the window also has a sliding "door" in addition to the blinds. I don't believe you'll have any problem blocking out the hallway light. See photo on this page about a third of the way down:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1935

As for your other questions, hopefully someone with experience will chime in soon.

Stuff a towel under the door, if light shines in. Bring a couple clothespins or clips to fasten the drapes together.

All cabins are pre-fab and slid into place. You will be able to hear hallway noises anywhere on the ship...it's simply the nature of the beast. Bring earplugs, if you must have total quiet.

It can be totally dark in there, no problem. The walls are thin and I have heard my neighbors closing doors and if you're near a storage area it can be noisy when people are getting things out of there. I always take ear plugs and those work fine to block out any noise.

The main problematic light is a sort of nightlight that emanates from the little magazine shelf above the bed, no way to turn it off but you can block it with papers or something (you'll see what I mean). It's a faint blue glow.

Studio cabins have the odd noise--plumbing, crew carts moving around, maybe your neighbor playing music while getting ready to go out. As someone who has overly keen hearing, you really just can't get a silent room on any ship. Try not to pick a cabin next to what looks like a big blank space--in the studio area, that's a trap! It's not blank, it's a crew area where they may be moving noisy stuff in and out, or running a huge ice machine (learned the hard way). You're better off taking your chances sharing a wall with neighbors.

Either way you really need a white noise machine if noises will be a problem, or some other solution. On my cruise where I could hear my neighbor's music while she was getting ready every night for dinner etc, I just put in some earbuds and listened to podcasts or white noise. In the end you can only control your own ears.

• Like 1

Like others have said, it gets very dark in studios with the exception of the faint blue glow from the reading light button above the bed. I put a washcloth over it. I heard my neighbor playing music some and also heard when they flushed the toilet. I had no issues getting a good night sleep though and I also like it pitch black.

Regarding location, there is a door from the from the lounge to the rooms, so if you are close to that it may be bothersome, but the whole studio area is usually deserted unless there is something going on in the lounge. I was on 12 and I can count on one hand the times I saw another person that wasn't a room steward. Just make sure your cabin isn't near one of the doors that leads into the studio area.

Haha I love you guys!!! I'm in a double whammy. I booked 11509 on the Escape. Each side is a white blank space. I thought I had a good thing. Booo!!!

Deff avoiding floor 11. Since its the lounge entrance. 10 scares me from noises coming from above the lounge. Deck 12 it is then!

And as long as the light can be covered. Not an issue. Was making sure the ceiling mood lights can actually be turned off.

Ik the showers and bathrooms mirror one another so it's obvious I'd hear some typical noise.

• Like 1

www.cruisecritic.com/norwegian-escape-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=691&deck=12

What room # would u choose.. And go!!!

I'm thinking side rooms now that are parallel the main hallways. Only got to worry bout 2 ajoining rooms

Now I'm not liking THE WHOLE BLANK SPACE ABOVE ON 13. Mhmmmm

Edited by caddykid12

so i have stayed in the studios several times and have also stayed in an inside and balcony. I find the studios are the most quiet of all. Maybe the odd toilet flush or the occasional noise but really nothing much. How much noise can one person make in a room by themselves really. I have stayed on all floors and dont think the studio location makes any difference as it is not super populated except at the solo meet ups in the evening. Bring some earplugs just in case if you are worried but i have always slept well in the studios. I often pick a room at the end of the hall then you only have one person on one side of you. On my last back to back I maybe saw one or two people in the hallway in the studio area. Super quiet area. you will love it!! Happy sailing!

so i have stayed in the studios several times and have also stayed in an inside and balcony. I find the studios are the most quiet of all. Maybe the odd toilet flush or the occasional noise but really nothing much. How much noise can one person make in a room by themselves really. I have stayed on all floors and dont think the studio location makes any difference as it is not super populated except at the solo meet ups in the evening. Bring some earplugs just in case if you are worried but i have always slept well in the studios. I often pick a room at the end of the hall then you only have one person on one side of you. On my last back to back I maybe saw one or two people in the hallway in the studio area. Super quiet area. you will love it!! Happy sailing!

What ship and,rm # were U?

Just being at the end means u are near the door that connects to the main hallways. Figured that's a high traffic area

I mean it's a 14 day trip so not many young solos I'd assume.

10523 is my go to but I have stayed in 12557 which I believe was in the middle and I stayed on the 11th floor on the end but don't remember the room number. The door is never an issue for me. Been by some of those empty spaces too but really never had an issue with noise in the studios. The door which was towards the other end and other side last time was always ajar for the staff I guess during the day. No slamming at all.

10523 is my go to but I have stayed in 12557 which I believe was in the middle and I stayed on the 11th floor on the end but don't remember the room number. The door is never an issue for me. Been by some of those empty spaces too but really never had an issue with noise in the studios. The door which was towards the other end and other side last time was always ajar for the staff I guess during the day. No slamming at all.

10523 on the escape??

That is like my current booked room. Open space on either side. And u didn't recall hearing noise?

I know walls r thin. That's why I get worried looking at the floor plans.

Well I have never had an issue personally. My toilet overflowed one nite at 3 am and when the guy came to fix it he used that room next to me to fix part of it and that was super noisy and I felt so bad cause I am sure it woke those around me but other than that never an issue. Now once in an inside on the getaway I was near a "toilet system room" so I heard the toilets all nite and that was annoying but it was a guarentee so I didn't pick it. Didn't ruin my trip by any means. If you are worried though maybe move but for me the studios are always quiet. Now I stay up quite late so maybe I miss some of the evening noise who knows.

We always take a noise maker. You can set it to "white noise" or "rainfall" or "rain forest" or a couple of other sounds. Blocks out other noises and we actually have one in every bedroom in our home. Rather nice, but don't be surprised if you start using it every single night.

We always take a noise maker. You can set it to "white noise" or "rainfall" or "rain forest" or a couple of other sounds. Blocks out other noises and we actually have one in every bedroom in our home. Rather nice, but don't be surprised if you start using it every single night.

I use a phone app for that.

I'm looking at 12575 on Escape. It has empty spaces all around it. Anyone have experience with it? Is it a bad idea?

Seems to be a bad idea as I'm in 11509 now

12 Deck has a huge storage space above you on 13 so that can be noisy I'm assuming. I'm looking at 11507. Seems to be best

I haven't been on the Escape but on the Epic the studios were the quietest area I've ever stayed. Loved it! I never ever heard my neighbors and hardly ever saw anyone in the hallway. I was right next to white space and never heard any noise. I travel with a fan and I take ear plugs in case there's a need. No problem with the light. I love the studios.

All I can tell you is to avoid the forward aft section of deck 11 on Escape. I had one of those corner/intersection rooms next to a blank spot, and not only did I get the ice machine, crew would regularly stand and chat right outside my door on the back hallway.

My usual favorite on GA is 10537. It's sentimental to me though, because that was my first cruise ever.

All I can tell you is to avoid the forward aft section of deck 11 on Escape. I had one of those corner/intersection rooms next to a blank spot, and not only did I get the ice machine, crew would regularly stand and chat right outside my door on the back hallway.

My usual favorite on GA is 10537. It's sentimental to me though, because that was my first cruise ever.

How was the noise!? It's pretty much was away from it all.

Can anyone tell me if they think 11509 is surrounded by storage on both sides?

11507 or 11519 seems to look in good area

How was the noise!? It's pretty much was away from it all.

Can anyone tell me if they think 11509 is surrounded by storage on both sides?

11507 or 11519 seems to look in good area

When I said 10537 I meant the Getaway, to be clear.

11507 looks like the best bet of those.

Have to stress again that you will not get a "silent" room on any ship. Have you cruised before, out of curiosity? The ships are made of metal blocks, which can transfer sound from really random places, the plumbing is loud (sounds like water rushing in the walls), things creak, your hangers in the closet will rock back and forth when the seas are heavy, etc. I'd really recommend a cheap light Bluetooth speaker and the app "SimplyNoise" on your phone.

10523 on the escape??

That is like my current booked room. Open space on either side. And u didn't recall hearing noise?

I know walls r thin. That's why I get worried looking at the floor plans.

I was on the March 18th Escape cruise. My solo studio was 12569. I agree you can hear your neighbors' doors closing and the shower running. Other than that, I had no issues.