Fat cruiser

loosid

I believe the handicapped seats at the back of the show lounge are wider to accommodate people with walkers easier.

Exactly. I think there would be accommodations throughout the ship. Shore excursions could be another issue. On our last cruise we noticed that on several shore excursions there were weight limits - but they were in the minority.

Even average sized people find the showers uncomfortably small. My husband is a big guy and can't get his whole body in the shower.

Not sure this helps but I was 6ft, 250lbs at one point and was able to "use" the shower. The curtain will be on you and you bump into the walls but it works.

Because it's a curtain you aren't "contained" in any way so I think you will be able to make it work. The bathrooms all have other floor drains too so even if you get the floor wet the water has someplace to go. I haven't seen any handhelds in past Princess cruises but that doesn't mean they aren't there or could you request one? Maybe in an accessible room.

Please let us know how your cruise goes.

I've seen posts suggesting showering in the spa (I think in this thread). Unfortunately, the spa is about as far as it can get from my cabin and still be on the same ship. It just seems really inconvenient, but I might have to try it once or twice if I feel like I need a better shower. Are the shower heads in the cabins removable (on a hose)?

They were on the Regal. I would suspect they are on the Royal as well. Without a doubt the worst showers & skimpiest towels were on the Regal. I've been on Cunard & Celebrity. I like the curved closing doors on the Solstice class ships of Celebrity. Unfortunately for those over 300LB(I'm 215LB myself)the enclosed showers on the Eclipse(Solstice class ships) would probably be too tight.

I'm just going to add regarding bus excursions. I would think if you are taking up the spot of 2 people that you would need to pay for two tickets. After all, if you bring a baby, that baby either sits in your lap or pays a fare. Even for a small child, you get a discount but not for free. Why should you get to use two seats and not pay for it? What is the person that paid for a seat and now doesn't have one do? Run along side the bus? Stand?

Just the same as on an airline. With few exceptions if you need two seats you pay for two seats. Same goes for other types of excursions. If there are only 20 spots on that catamaran and you need two, then you should pay for two. It is unreasonable for you to expect the vendor to lose out on that revenue or for the other 19 to squeeze together because you need a part of their seating.

Before anyone gets nasty about my lack of understanding about fat people (although I think the going word now is "fluffy") I'm overweight and so is my DH. In such a situation I would pay the money for what I'm using or I would book privately. The fluffy issue is mine. Period. Not the tour company's and not the airlines and most assuredly not the guy next to me. I also now book upgraded flights at my expense as well.

Sorry, just realized that I went on a mini tangent but the bottom line is, if you break it you buy it and if you use it you pay for it. The only exception I could see is if the excursion was undersold and there were empty seats.

p.s. I realize the OP never ever said that they expected special favors but in the back of their minds, they already knew the answer to their own question.

I'm a big guy so I know the stress you feel regarding travel etc. For me since I am disabled due to arthritis, I am eligible for a handicap room with the very large shower. Regarding the show, I used me scooter and just stayed seated on it on our cruise on the Crown. I don't remember the dining chairs being a problem. Best of luck.

My husband and I have been on 12 different ships. He is 320 lbs and has never had a problem using the showers on the ships. We did have a problem being attacked by the shower curtain but if you point the shower head towards the back wall of the shower it takes care of that problem.

My husband and I have been on 12 different ships. He is 320 lbs and has never had a problem using the showers on the ships. We did have a problem being attacked by the shower curtain but if you point the shower head towards the back wall of the shower it takes care of that problem.

The shower curtain is easily tamed.

1. Wet the bottom of the shower stall and the bottom of the curtain and stick them together. Works "most of the time".

OR

2. Bring along 3 large binder clips and clip them to the bottom of the shower curtain. The weight keeps the curtain taut and it doesn't try to romance you.

Be careful of the seating in the boarding area. Last year while waiting to board the Island Princess in Vancouver, BC, the folding seat my spouse used collapsed under him. Fortunately, he was not injured. Although the Princess rep was apologetic, they acknowledged that the available seats being used were old and not sturdy.

I'm a bit bigger than your hubby and agree with what you say. I think over about 6'4" might find the shower a bit low though.

Hi all,

We are very excited for our first cruise coming up in about 6 weeks on the Emerald Princess. However, my weight has me incredibly stressed out about how the cruise will play out in terms of seating, walking etc. I'll begin with, I am at the 400 lb mark and expect a lot of walking on a giant ship and with activities (I have two young children). However, I'm most worried about seating in the dining area or fitting in places here and there, including excursion busses, etc. Even something as simple as a high curb is an issue with me unless I have an arm to hold onto or someone to help.

Is there a way I can access someone in advance about having armless chairs ahead of time to avoid asking in person? My travel mates are all fit and active & it's my pride I'm sure. Good or bad let me know! Thanks in advance :D

This is going to sound disrespectful but it is not meant that way. Most of the excursions on a ship assume a certain level of mobility. If you can not get up curbs w/o help, it sounds as if you are not very mobile. Also, you need to be able to get up the stairs to the bus w/o holding up the rest of the tour group, I would be really annoyed if I paid good money for an excursion and the excursion was ruined or we missed places because one person in the group could not keep up w the group. It has happened to me more times than I wish.

DON

I can't get up a curb without something to hold on to, so can relate to that. On our excursions last month, I just waited until everyone else was off the bus, since I'm a little slower going up and down the steps, but there are plenty of bars to hang on to. I got back on before everyone, too.

So, my point, really is that just because you can't get up a curb doesn't mean you can't navigate a bus. OP, I recommend at least getting wheelchair assistance, even if your room can't accommodate a scooter. Getting on and off the ship requires a lot of walking and standing for someone who has issues, and it may bring you some peace of mind as well. The service is free, but of course you will want to give those helping you a nice tip.

This is going to sound disrespectful but it is not meant that way. Most of the excursions on a ship assume a certain level of mobility. If you can not get up curbs w/o help, it sounds as if you are not very mobile. Also, you need to be able to get up the stairs to the bus w/o holding up the rest of the tour group, I would be really annoyed if I paid good money for an excursion and the excursion was ruined or we missed places because one person in the group could not keep up w the group. It has happened to me more times than I wish.

DON

I agree. Not every tour that Princess offers is meant for every individual. They have to realize their own limitations & choose one that they can handle.

DON

This.

I went on a group tour to Bhutan. I booked with Road Scholar in part because I didn't want to be in a group with people half my age, struggling to keep up and/or holding them back. One of the people on the tour really shouldn't have booked; she was unfit for the rigors of the trip and constantly needed special attention from our guides, sometimes delaying the rest of us. She made it through, but it was not pleasant for the rest of us, especially her roommate.

This is not meant unkindly. No man is an island and all that. I'm all in favor of disability rights. But people have to take responsibility for themselves on group excursions, especially ones not designed for those with physical challenges. If you're a frail old woman or a morbidly obese man, rather than expect the rest of the people on a tour to make allowances for your needs maybe you should consider booking private tours where you can get the extra attention you need and more easily avoid problems, even injuries. It's only considerate, both to others and to yourself.