Claim Time for Reimbursement

NW Pacific

Filed a claim for trip cancellation due to broken wrist that required surgery 10 days before trip. Sent in ALL paperwork required, Did receive email claim was received.. Email said up to 10 days for claim to be processed. Called on day 9, said oh we try to settle within 15 days. Just curious how long generally a claim takes. Have not been contacted yet for any further documentation,

Filed a claim for trip cancellation due to broken wrist that required surgery 10 days before trip. Sent in ALL paperwork required, Did receive email claim was received.. Email said up to 10 days for claim to be processed. Called on day 9, said oh we try to settle within 15 days. Just curious how long generally a claim takes. Have not been contacted yet for any further documentation,

Which insurer did you use?

I had a claim with TripMate through TravelSafe insurance that took three months for a minor claim. It took them 2.5 months to verify with American Airlines that they did indeed cancel my flight and another week for them to verify with TravelSafe that I did indeed pay their trip insurance premium even though I submitted all the proper substantiation with the original claim.

I am from Oregon. Have Travel Safe Ins. Trip Mate processing claim. Thanks for information. At least its just not my claim being held up.

Yeah after they left a bad taste in my mouth for going direct to them, I switched to Steve at TripInsuranceStore. I told him anybody but claim processing through TripMate.

TripMate would never tell me anything about the status of my claim. Now at least I have an insurance agent to help ease the claims process if there a problem.

NW Pacific and Chucktown Steve:

Oh, I feel your pain! For a lengthy comparison and another poor experience with Trip Mate processing, read this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225458

I still recommend Steve and Trip Insurance Store, and while we have discussed the Trip Mate processing time (and which he feels has improved since my experience) I have to say I continue to hear of their lengthy processing delays and still will not use them or any other policy that does.

FWIW, Steve still sells two policy families that use Trip Mate processing, Global Alert and Travel Safe. Those may be good choices for some people, but not for me. Best of luck, and patience, in getting your claim resolved.

NW Pacific and Chucktown Steve:

Oh, I feel your pain! For a lengthy comparison and another poor experience with Trip Mate processing, read this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225458

I still recommend Steve and Trip Insurance Store, and while we have discussed the Trip Mate processing time (and which he feels has improved since my experience) I have to say I continue to hear of their lengthy processing delays and still will not use them or any other policy that does.

FWIW, Steve still sells two policy families that use Trip Mate processing, Global Alert and Travel Safe. Those may be good choices for some people, but not for me. Best of luck, and patience, in getting your claim resolved.

Indeed patience is key when it comes to refunds for cancelled cruises. My experience with Allianz.

My previous traveling friend became very ill last August 2016 from the effects of agent orange. We had to cancel a scheduled Sept 2016 cruise. Filed all the required paperwork including an extensive medical formed signed by multiple physicians. Full refund received in four(4) weeks.

Unfortunately my same friend died in December 2016 from agent orange. Cancelled a January 2017 cruise that we had planned. Very simple form filed out along with a death certificate supplied by the funeral home. Full refund received nine (9) weeks after submission.

Guess it just depends on how long it takes the paperwork to make it through all the approval/denial routes it must pass through. Do be persistent however and my TA, who suggested the company, really got involved in the January claim due to the length of time.

From OP. Did get confirmation today 4-26-17 that claim has processed and will be pd. After 3 phone calls and contacting Travel Safe direct about the slow processing with trip Mate. Guess it just takes time, . and persistence, Claim was received by trip Mate on March 31.

Edited by NW Pacific
spelling and more info

Takes time, and hope there are no secondary insurances (like my medical) involved as they fight it out how much each will pay.

Why I try to get primary medical travel insurance since even not traveling I have had health insurance claims go unpaid for so long they go to collections.

• 3 months later...
I had a claim with TripMate through TravelSafe insurance that took three months for a minor claim. It took them 2.5 months to verify with American Airlines that they did indeed cancel my flight and another week for them to verify with TravelSafe that I did indeed pay their trip insurance premium even though I submitted all the proper substantiation with the original claim.

Trip Mate is dragging their feet on our claim with a canceled trip with Viking River Cruises. They recommended and sold us this insurance that was very pricey. My husband has cancer and is undergoing treatment this year. They got every item they requested including doctor's forms filled out over a month ago. It's just sitting in a claim adjusters office now for two weeks according to their web site.

Our large claim with Travel Guard in 2016 was handled in two--or actually three--parts.

We never even saw a bill for our emergency flight home midway through the trip, which they arranged for us. (Their making the arrangements to get us home was in itself a very welcome and worthwhile benefit.)

Within two weeks we had a check reimbursing us for the portion of our trip that we had to miss due to my illness, and reimbursement for the medical expenses we had paid by credit card came about a week after that.

Fully satisfied!

Edited by Hroswitha
Typo

Just curious how long generally a claim takes. Have not been contacted yet for any further documentation,

As someone noted, I suspect it depends on the company and completeness of your initial claim filing etc. For a reference point, however, our claim with Royal Caribbean took a day less than 5 weeks from submission of claim to checks received. I detailed our process here - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2494401

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I still have no answer from our insurance company. Very disappointed. I call every week, get a stock answer. It's in the adjusters office. Everything was received in July properly. Trip Mate is not coming through for us.

I still have no answer from our insurance company. Very disappointed. I call every week, get a stock answer. It's in the adjusters office. Everything was received in July properly. Trip Mate is not coming through for us.

As I read the first sentence of this post I said to myself, it must be tripmate!! I had a claim three years ago that took three months until I spoke with Steve at the Tripinsurancestore. He contacted the adjuster even though I purchased it directly from travel safe. I swore I'd never buy a policy who used the claims adjuster tripmate. But I've used steve's company ever since.

They will respond to an agent who places a lot of business with an insurance company. They don't care about an individual because you have no clout.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Same story with me and tripmate. The activity area of their website shows nothing, they acknowledged receipt of claim on 7/21.

You do need to keep calling them and hounding them weekly. They won't tell you anything. Then Ask to speak to their supervisor. Also send an email of complaint about the TripMate claims adjuster to the insurance company who wrote the policy. Stuff rolls down hill for lazy claims agents.

Steve

When I go to check claims status online, there is no posting. Is this normal?

I did get an e-mail, your claim is being given priority status, but I put no credence to it.

Thank you.

Count on the claim, no matter how small, to take between 30 & 90 days. Maybe even more. I'd call and ask them if they have everything they need to process the claim. They could be missing one small thing but wait 60 days before requesting it. That's how tripmate rolls to delay paying your claim.

Make sure you keep detailed notes including the names of everyone you speak with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Our complete claim for my husbands cancer treatments was received in July. Called almost weekly. Stock answer speech. In mid September I went online and saw "claim denied" for 2900 dollars. The claimed it was preexisting condition. I thought when you purchased at the time of deposit on a cruise, that wouldn't be a factor. Now they only want to give me travel vouchers from Viking and I have to travel within 12 months with them.

Since the vouchers came from Viking, I suspect they either own Trip Mate or get a kick back. I wrote Viking during the process and never got a response. I smell something stinky. Anybody know? I"ll never buy TripMate again. Beware.

Our complete claim for my husbands cancer treatments was received in July. Called almost weekly. Stock answer speech. In mid September I went online and saw "claim denied" for 2900 dollars. The claimed it was preexisting condition. I thought when you purchased at the time of deposit on a cruise, that wouldn't be a factor. Now they only want to give me travel vouchers from Viking and I have to travel within 12 months with them.

Since the vouchers came from Viking, I suspect they either own Trip Mate or get a kick back. I wrote Viking during the process and never got a response. I smell something stinky. Anybody know? I"ll never buy TripMate again. Beware.

Each policy type is different.

What do the written terms of *your* particular policy state about pre-existing conditions?

We carefully select policies that have waivers of any pre-existing condition exclusions.

But not all policies have that.

(It's one reason we don't use policies that come along automatically with certain charge cards, although there are also other reasons we get third-party travel insurance.)

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.

I filed for a cancelled cruise on 7/24. Coverage was thru Global Alert via Insuremytrip.com. Claim was handled by Trip Mate.

Today I received total payment. There were no requests for additional information or forms.