Cruise Critic Community
gretschwhtfalcon

Considering trying the new Grand New England Boston Round Trip...any advice?

American Cruise Lines doesn't do European cruises, hence the name.

They only do North America at this point.

Mike:)

Cruising the Constellation in October

Received my docs and went on the website to look at the excursions offered. To my surprise, the website itinerary and the one sent to me are completely different! When I called, ACL said what I received from my TA was correct and the website was wrong.

If they can't post the correct itinerary on the internet from where you book the cruise, what else are they doing wrong? By the way all those "included" excursions number 6 on an 11 day cruise and two of them are in the same port.

This is our first small ship cruise after 80 or more ocean cruises; we paid as much daily as we do on a luxury line and are hoping our experience will be memorable in a good way.

Just a word of caution. The itinerary that is posted online is not the itinerary the ship uses. The website shows Provincetown as the first stop when it is actually Bar Harbor. Second stop is Camden instead of Newport. When I called, they had no explanation and were surprised the website was incorrect. The included tours are 6 for 11 days and two are in one port.

Cruise in October but a bit worried now.

We are taking this cruise in mid September 2018, and have received our docs as well. When I checked them, sure enough, very different than what's been on the web and continues to be on the web. Thanks for the heads-up - I hadn't even noticed the changed itinerary. I did notice a while back that their map did not quite fit the prose, but now it's totally out of whack.

It's not just the first two stops that are different; they have reshuffled the entire cruise. However, it's just a re-arrangement of what's on the web -- no port has been dropped or added.

But this might mean we can't fully trust the detailed listing of excursions. (Maybe we'll get surprised, and find they've been able to add a couple of free tours...yeah, sure!) On our other two ACL cruises (Rivers of Florida and Grand Mississippi) we did have free tours every day, not counting the first and last days. Disappointing that this cruise does not, but we knew that going in - their web site has always shown that several stops have no free tours. On our other cruises, there was no mismatch between the web description and the actual cruise; sad that this one is so messed up.

By the way, not that it matters, but this cruise is on the Constitution, not the Constellation (I think they are nearly identical ships). When this thread started in 2017, it was the Constellation, but in early 2018 it was moved out west and replaced with the Constitution in New England.

We are leaving in 3 days and just received another itinerary. This could be a problem if anyone made onshore reservations as we are talking a totally new shifting of ports. With Florence heading to New England, I just hope the crew is more organized then their website in making changes in ports if needed. Not much confidence in them right now with all the confusing info.

Can anyone give info on the true itinerary order and time in port?

We too have received the updated itinerary that jdymiller just posted about. It now shows the order as: Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Camden, Rockland, Boothbay Harbor, Gloucester, Newport, Martha's Vineyard, Provincetown, Boston. Ship arrival time on final day is now 6:00am, not the prior evening -- this means little margin of error for our 11:00am flight home.

The itinerary, the web, and the catalog all emphasize that the itinerary is subject to change due to...with a half dozen reasons given. So I'm not sure there really ever is a "true itinerary" order, and I can see why it's hard for the web folks to keep up. Just a few threads earlier than this one, WoodyWindy posted about ship twice getting diverted to Bucksport earlier this summer.

Some of this uncertainty may be due to the looming Florence situation. Even if the main impact is in the Carolinas, I'll bet there will likely be unpleasant shore effects in New England. Heavy rain is forecast for Boston on Monday, probably the after-effect of Gordon.

The Independence was here this weekend, and left this morning. I hope everyone on the ship had a great visit!