Tipping currency Europe

bosmom

Hello again, We have only cruised once to Alaska. We are sailing on a round-trip out of Venice this summer on the Star. On the ship are Euros best for tipping? I imagine the crew would not want US dollars. Thank you.

Hello again, We have only cruised once to Alaska. We are sailing on a round-trip out of Venice this summer on the Star. On the ship are Euros best for tipping? I imagine the crew would not want US dollars. Thank you.

It would be best to tip in Euros, but the smaller Euro note is 5 Euros and I dislike having to carry coins.

Many of the crew on mainline US cruise lines like Celebrity, RCI, NCL, Carnival, Princess have mainly crews from the Philippines, Indonesia and some from Eastern Europe. Those people can take their dollars home since the US dollar is widely accepted for saving. Still, it would be better to tip in Euros.

• Like 1

If you are coming from the US can tip in either. If you are coming from Europe, certainly don't bother getting US for tipping. I don't know that the crew really cares and I'm sure they will get both. Coming from the US you are less likely to have small Euros to tip in, so I wouldn't sweat it if you don't.

We tipped solely in US dollars. As someone mentioned previously it's easier on the crew to exchange (or spend) dollars as opposed to Euros.

Which meant we had Canadian dollars, US dollars & Euros in our wallets:-)

Cheers,

Sandy

One thing to clarify, the crew typically deposits money in a 'crew bank' both for security and convenience (given how rarely they get off ship). Assuming NCL works the same as other lines, they can then send the money home directly from there. Their exchange rates may or may not be better than those used for passengers. Most of the crew banks operate in USD, so euros can invoke a currency exchange cost (but its usually less than 2 percent loss based on what I know from another line). Ships operating in the med for extended periods may work in Euros, but you won't know that.

With that in mind I usually carry USD for primary tips and leave behind misc euro coins at the end as a supplement as I expect most crew keeps a small supply of petty cash for port days. However, if you have euros left, the crew will happily take them.

• Thanks 1

Onboard currency is Dollar so no problem to tip in Dollar - especially if you want to tip small amounts like a bar waiter for a drink as the smallest bill is 5 Euro.

Euro is the currency in most ports. So your cabin steward will be happy to get either Euro or Dollars.

steamboats