Currently on Nautica - Mumbai to Athens

JoePDX

We just had two incredible days in Luxor. Saw so much. Karnak Temple, Luxor Temple, Valley of the Kings. Saw King Tut's tomb along with four others. Highlight a hot air balloon ride over Luxor at sunrise. a0ef030f41d708b93c42ff7f0ee7761e.jpg

4bee276b9d4dfb27a46155f0f5ae37c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For Luxor I arranged a private excursion for 9 (originally 11) with Ramasside Tours http://www.ramasside.com. Ramasside is also known as Ramses Tours. Guide was excellent and lead us on two full days of touring. We also had a driver and security guard. Ramasside Office was excellent to deal with including a last minute cancellation due to illness that they didn't require any charge for. The two days l, including overnight at the Steigenberger Nile Palace hotel, two lunches and all entrance fees was $250 pp with a $25 up charge for our one single traveler. O charges $699 per person plus an additional $100 for single travelers. Extra items were the Karnak light show for $35 (very nice) and $95 for a sunrise hot air balloon ride (breathtaking).

One couple is already working with Ramasside to schedule a 10 day land trip. I'd say that is a good reference.

Like Jordan we didn't feel unsafe anywhere. So visit Egypt too! [emoji4]. It's simply amazing!

Joe

love the pictures!!! Well done!

Thanks. The pictures I have posted are all just random shots I took with my iPhone. I've taken hundreds more with the camera, just won't be downloading those until we get home. I am impressed with the picture quality on the iPhone.

Joe

We left Safaga around 9:45 pm last night. Scheduled departure was midnight. We are due to anchor in the Gulf of Suez around 6:00 pm tonight. We will enter the Suez Canal with our convoy around 4:00 am tomorrow. Transit is around 9 hours.

Seas are choppy but the sun is shining brightly today. Our second muster drill on this cruise is this morning.

I can't say enough about the staff. So amazing. The Oceania singers and dancers have also been excellent. All five of them finish their six month contract when we dock in Athens.

Definitely looking forward to a couple of Sea days after our whirlwind two days in Luxor.

Still pinching myself over all we have seen on this trip. As a kid growing up in the country, I never would have dreamed I would see King Tut's tomb in person. As a high school freshman I saw his treasures in Seattle in 1978. One day soon we will get to Cairo to see them again. Definitely feel lucky for all of our travel adventures. Also feel blessed for all the fellow travelers, many of who are now friends, we have met along the way. :D

So again I say-visit the Middle East. Don't wait until it's deemed "safe" by the media. That day may never come and you will miss so much!

Joe

A big thank you Joe for your comments. JIm and I did cancel the Oct. trip. Just didn't seem right but we are planning to go on in April after reading your remarks and watching cbb's comments. I believe they are on the April 2018 trip! Have a wonderful day! Karen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great photo of Djeser-Djeseru Joe. Makes me want to go back! Since you did a private from Safaga, was your vehicle able to go on its own or did you have to go as a convoy and how long a drive was it?

Glad you're enjoying your cruise - Egypt is intoxicating :cool:

Great photo of Djeser-Djeseru Joe. Makes me want to go back! Since you did a private from Safaga, was your vehicle able to go on its own or did you have to go as a convoy and how long a drive was it?

Glad you're enjoying your cruise - Egypt is intoxicating :cool:

We did not travel in a convoy either way. Trip was about four hours with one stop for restrooms, snacks and shopping.

We know we will be back! Egypt is a great travel value right now.

Joe

We did it! Our trivia team, The Pirates, grabbed first place today. And did it by besting the second place team by 10 points! Trivia popularity has grown throughout the cruise - we are up to about 10 or 12 teams now!

We should be dropping anchor soon to await our convoy through the Suez Canal.

Winds were 35 knots this morning and most of the day. Decks 10 and 11 Akon with the outside decks on 5 were closed. I'm on 10 now and it's just a pleasant breeze at 5:15pm. Pleasant temps too!

Taste of the World at lunch today was India. Yummy, looked so good we dove in and forgot to take pictures. ;)

Joe

Currently at anchor in the Gulf of Suez. There is a big car carrier off our starboard side also at anchor. Behind that ship is the Queen Mary 2. At the current distance the QM2 appears to be a similar size to Nautica. But we all know she is not. First time I have seen the QM2!

Off to a group dinner with many of our new friends.... life onboard Nautica is sweet.

Joe

3c279a80fdaf511cf6858050c908af95.jpg

joe....sounds like you might be a candidate for ATW. We absolutely loved every minute of '16 and met many many people we still keep in touch with. We even have our own Facebook page!!

readteacher1--we're on an April-May 2018 cruise Mumbai-Rome. I'll definitely try to do as Joe is doing.

I did a post everyday on ATW16 and talked about shorex, diy, food, shopping, weather, etc. so I'll try it again. We also kept a blog for family and friends and ccritic people went there to look at the pictures.

joe....sounds like you might be a candidate for ATW. We absolutely loved every minute of '16 and met many many people we still keep in touch with. We even have our own Facebook page!!

I did a post everyday on ATW16 and talked about shorex, diy, food, shopping, weather, etc. so I'll try it again. We also kept a blog for family and friends and ccritic people went there to look at the pictures.

Cynthia -

You got that right! Already dreaming of doing that when we retire (5 years is my plan!).

I followed your blog daily.... It was excellent and I loved your pictures! I just shared it with our CIO at work as she is considering an ATW in the next couple years...

We had 15 at dinner tonight. A lovely night. Followed by an incredible show. Duo called "Five O'Clock Somewhere". If they are on your cruise they are a MUST see! :hearteyes:

Hopefully we will meet on O someday.

Cheers!

Joe

My husband Jeff chatted with Captain Melnikov this evening. Nautica will be the lead ship of the convoy followed by the Queen Mary 2. He said cruise ships generally get to go first as they are faster and more nimble than cargo ships.

He also shared that Oceania will pay a $207,000 fee to transit the Suez Canal. That's about $23,000 an hour or $383 a minute. Or $605 per stateroom.

All that calculating has made me tired, I will post more in the morning.

Joe

Joe, I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our ATW16 adventure. It was, without exaggerating, one of the top trips of our lives. We retired early and we're so glad we did as others on board, not the ATWers, had pretty bad medical problems and wished that they too had retired earlier while they had their health.

Your calculations read as something mr wonderful, the engineer, would do. He carried a GPS everywhere and also tied it to a veranda chair while we were sailing so he hasthe path that we walked as well as the ship's path around the world. Kinda cool, actually!!

keep up with the postings...I'm keeping your info in a "dump document" for our cruise. c

We have been in the Suez Canal since around 3 am (per Captain, no first hand knowledge). We headed north in the new channel that opened in 2015. Around 11:30 am we entered the original channel and will be in it until we reach the Mediterranean Sea.

Captain said we should be proud as Nautica is leading the convoy of approximately 25 ships. Directly behind us is a car carrier, then QM2 then Celebrity Constellation.

Winds are calm and temps warm. Today is Liberation of the Sinai day in Egypt. The President of Egypt is here for the festivities and we saw his security detail flying overhead. The Baja of the Canal were decorated with flags in the area where he was.

Exciting day. Today was also the Gala Brunch I the MDR-beautiful and the wonderful food and service we have had throughout the trip.

Joe

e65ee18252e822a0f4d81f1be68a88b9.jpg

651a5f5bcf42beeb31040345873069f7.jpg

af769a9795b0fbdbd3aea3ba831952b5.jpg

We have been in the Suez Canal since around 3 am (per Captain, no first hand knowledge). We headed north in the new channel that opened in 2015. Around 11:30 am we entered the original channel and will be in it until we reach the Mediterranean Sea.

Captain said we should be proud as Nautica is leading the convoy of approximately 25 ships. Directly behind us is a car carrier, then QM2 then Celebrity Constellation.

Winds are calm and temps warm. Today is Liberation of the Sinai day in Egypt. The President of Egypt is here for the festivities and we saw his security detail flying overhead. The Baja of the Canal were decorated with flags in the area where he was.

Exciting day. Today was also the Gala Brunch I the MDR-beautiful and the wonderful food and service we have had throughout the trip.

Joe

e65ee18252e822a0f4d81f1be68a88b9.jpg

651a5f5bcf42beeb31040345873069f7.jpg

af769a9795b0fbdbd3aea3ba831952b5.jpg

Joe,

Thanks for all your updates and pictures.

It sounds like you are really enjoying the cruise and the itinerary.

Continue to have a great cruise.

Paul

loving the pictures. We thought perhaps there would be more infrastructure on both sides of the Suez....but apparently not!

So glad you're enjoying your cruise. Are you staying in Athens for a while post cruise? c

loving the pictures. We thought perhaps there would be more infrastructure on both sides of the Suez....but apparently not!

So glad you're enjoying your cruise. Are you staying in Athens for a while post cruise? c

Not much along the Canal. Occasionally a ferry from one side to the other. There was a nice monument to the Canal and those who dug it, but I just have those photos on the camera. But mostly just sand... and the security check points.

We will just be in Athens for a few hours in the morning. I have a taxi lined up for half a day. Plan to visit the Roman Agora. Then we fly on to France to visit our house there for just over a week, then home on May 14.

Tomorrow is Haifa - we are overnighting off the ship in Jerusalem. Private guide I set up for us and three other couples from the roll call.

More to come. :cool:

Joe

PS - no first place repeat for The Pirates today at trivia.:(

Joe,

Thanks for all your updates and pictures.

It sounds like you are really enjoying the cruise and the itinerary.

Continue to have a great cruise.

Paul

Thanks Paul. It really has been a great trip. Today was our last full Sea day... I did get a little pool time in, but otherwise lots to do between brunch, lectures (2) and trivia.

We also snagged two washers this afternoon with no wait, so we are now set for the rest of the trip. Second time this has happened to us, so we must me being looked after.

Joe

Today we decided clef in Haifa, Israel for an overnight. Nice and sunny and thankfully not too hot. Another private tour with three other couples from the ship.

Stopped first to view the Baha'i gardens. Nautica was docked below them. Then stopped in Caesarea.

4ab5c686b54dd84d92fb1cd98ef72de0.jpg

76936a5050b3f256def084d7d4676624.jpg

Then on to Jerusalem where we will spend the night. Ran into several of Nautica's amazing crew as we explored the old city.

fcbcaff9be2bcd9cd898c27b54410396.jpg

d08d24d87503244609c5fc31609fa816.jpg

Joe,

Your enthusiasm, photos and descriptions have inspired me- I've always been interested in this part of the world. As of yesterday I am now on the waitlist for this portion on the Around the World itinerary for 2019. Thanks for taking the time to let us all join you [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Joe -

Thanks agaIn for "taking us with you." Your photos (really?Phone?) are inspiring and your comments delightfully upbeat. In re-reading to copy notes for our 2019 voyage I saw I'd missed the part where you mentioned the King Tut exhibit in Seattle. I saw that too.

Have a wonderful rest-of-your vacation!

Jan

Sent from my iPad using Forums

joe---excellent photos...and we're really enjoying traveling with you before we do it "for reals." We've been to Israel and so we'd love to just wander Jerusalem and spend the night there (too much time back and forthing.)

O used to do a shorex called "Jerusalem on your own" which was essentially transportation there and back. But, I've heard from a good source that this isn't offered nor will it be. Don't even really want a guide; been there/done that.....

wonder if taking the bus is still the way to go....? So do you have any good ideas?