RCCL, Princess, Seabourn, Crystal or Oceania?

harryspotter

Hi everyone.

I am looking for some guidance. All the lines listed above will offer me 12-17 day cruises to the Med next year in August. I am trying to find the best fit and wonder if there are other people out there like me who can offer some recommendations?

Myself and my wife have never cruised before. I am 49 and my wife is 47. I own a few businesses and my wife is a teacher. We have started enjoying the nicer things in life - More expensive hotels, nice food etc and this will be our first holiday without our children so we don't particularly want to be surrounded by children.

I can imagine a dream holiday looking like this -

Spending the day touring or by the pool. I like a little Scuba diving, but maybe only 2 dives. Happy to snorkel too. We like reading.

Once the day is done, I imagine going to the gym for a bit to lose a few calories, then have a nice meal, few glasses of wine, perhaps on a table with others, perhaps not, definitely not all the time. Then, maybe take in a show, then off to room.

I can't imagine we will be into late night entertainment, party games etc. I do like the sound of cooking classes..

Is this enough? Knowing what you know about cruises I wonder where we might fit in?

Be interesting to hear from anyone similar ages too who have been on more commercial cruises like RCCL then tried the luxury cruises, which do you prefer?

Thanks

Mark

Much as I enjoy RC and cruise them frequently, it sounds like you are looking for a more upscale, luxury line. Princess and Royal Caribbean are definitely more mainstream lines.

The others mentioned would, in my opinion, be a better fit, but also more expensive.

You don't go to the Med. to snorkel and scuba. Visit churches and ruins, yes. Historic places, yes. Med cruises on the mainstream lines are port intensive so you wouldn't have much time to relax by the pool (if you can find a lounger close to it) with a glass of wine. Med cruises are usually booked for the ports, not the cruise experience. I think you need to research the luxury lines: Oceania, Regent, Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn, Ponant. Windstar. Or perhaps you might enjoy a river cruise. Also consider that the eastern Med. will be beastly hot in August - 90's and humid. It's also the month that Europe goes on vacation, so Europe will be the most crowded with tourists then. EM

I would closely look at the last 3 on your list

compare what they provide that will work for you & your needs

As mentioned Med cruises are very port intensive

compare how long you are in port with each ship

if $$ are a factor compare the prices & what you get for your $

Maybe find a TA in your area that deals in cruises & have a talk with them

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

Thanks. August is our only time and i can see the cruises are port intensive. I think we could probably wander aound some of the ports for a couple of hours then jump back on. Whilst other ports like Rome would be a full on visit.

I had thought the last 3 might be more suitable. My wife is worried that these cruises might be "stuffy". Certainly dont want to be surrounded by people who think they are better than others.

I did like the Seabourn cruise but then I read a comment that smoking is allowed on the cruise and i really dont want to be surrounded by smokers. Is this a problem on Seabourn?

Mark

I had thought the last 3 might be more suitable. My wife is worried that these cruises might be "stuffy". Certainly dont want to be surrounded by people who think they are better than others.

Mark

Oceania people are not stuffy cannot comment on the other lines as we have not sailed on those

The smoking policy on Oceania there are 2 designated areas for smokers 1 inside (enclosed room) & one corner of the pool deck

If you're going to hit some of the Greek Islands, I'd look closer at Oceana and Seaborne (smaller ships). On the larger vessels you usually have to tender in and sometimes it takes a LOOOOONG time to finally get ashore. On the smaller ships, sometimes you can dock and even if you still have to tender in, it won't take as long.

I think the Cruise Critic professional reviews are usually very accurate as to the culture of each line. Worth reading.

We have sailed on several Seabourn cruises, including the two smallest ships which are now gone from the line. I think the only people I ever saw smoking were a European couple on our Baltic cruise, and one other man in a designated deck area! The only children we have seen were the occasional teens. I would say the cruisers varied from 40's - 70's.

We prefer the under-600 people ships, that's just us. No long lines, often pierside rather than at anchor, due to smaller size. No long waits to get off the ship for shore excursions. Easy and fast to get around. We don't need a lot of onboard entertainment and non-stop activity and announcements, and you really get to know fellow cruisers and staff very quickly. All-inclusive for on-board stuff - you don't have to think about it. Plenty of quiet nooks for reading and relaxing. Someone appears and offers you a drink or an afternoon cup of tea, and they soon figure out your habits.

If you don't book the Seabourn shore excursions, there are usually other firms with which you can book, or take the complimentary shuttle and head into town and explore at your own pace. The Seabourn shore excursions are usually very good quality.

The quality of service aboard Seabourn is truly delightful, which is why we keep going back. We occasionally rotate to Silversea (smaller ships and luxury again), and are trying a Regent Seven Seas cruise in 2018, due to a family group sailing. We have certainly been on the bigger ships, but for the last 15 years, have found our cruise niche on the smaller luxury lines.

Make a grid with ships vs. cost, what's included, what's not and cost (gratuities, air, transfers, drinks, port fees, shore excursions, pre-cruise hotel, etc.), cabin size (be sure to figure out if they have included veranda in the square footage), passenger size, port calls vs sea days - we find that helpful in sorting out all the info when comparing several cruise lines. Leave a space for notes on what you have picked up about culture, etc.

We always like a sea day every few days; others want to hit a port a day. Keep reading reviews but look for trends, and don't go too far back ships get re-furbished, and poor reviews get noticed these days.

Seabourn is usually very relaxed. You can dine by yourself or ask to be with a table - we enjoy both ways - no assigned tables or times.

Happy choosing!

There are two ways to avoid children on a Med cruise:

1. Go when the majority of kids are in school.

2. Go on a luxury line.

Since your wife is a schoolteacher, #1 might not be possible, so I think you pretty much will need to do option #2.

Honestly, based on your interests, I really think you might be a Windstar couple. These are smaller luxury sailing ships with a water sports platform off the back of the ship with sailboats, snorkeling gear, sailboards, water skis and kayaks. Only 148 passengers, gourmet food, open seating dining, entertainment is low-key and in the lounge, there is a pool and hot tub and with so few aboard, I doubt you would ever have trouble finding a lounge chair. For some ports, they are there late enough you can get off the ship and go to a restaurant or concert on shore at night.

And I disagree with those who claim you don't go to the Med to scuba dive or snorkel. This area is KNOWN for that. There is plenty of diving opportunities available especially around Monaco, Naples Italy, Capri, Positano and Sorrento, Ustica - one of the top dive sites in the world, as well as near Greece. Here are the top 10 dive sites in the Med:

https://www.bookyourdive.com/blog/2012/10/4/best-diving-spots-in-europe

https://www.padi.com/scuba-vacations/europe

https://www.divein.com/articles/diving-in-europe-10-best-dive-sites/

https://www.theadventurejunkies.com/best-scuba-diving-in-europe/

http://divemagazine.co.uk/go/7038-top-ten-mediterranean-secrets

http://www.easydivebooking.com/en/destinations-detail/destinations/167-french-riviera-under-water-diving-and-the-high-life.cfm

Also, in France, the Calanques are great for a day where you rent a sailboat and sail around the coast.

http://en.active-road.com/sports-outing/sailboat-rental/sailing-and-discovering-cassis

And I also want to mention the unique "beach clubs" in Italy that most cruisers don't even know exist.

http://www.fontelina-capri.com/en/index

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187783-d3395719-r220238472-Luigi_ai_Faraglioni-Capri_Island_of_Capri_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

Yes, do some touring, but do go diving it is AMAZING!

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Mark I have sailed with most of these cruise lines.

The pricing and the on board experiences/offering will vary quite a bit.

The most luxurious and likeliest priciest ones will be on Crystal and Seabourn although some items that will be included in the cruise fare cost extra on the other cruise lines you have mentioned.

Without knowing you personally along with your budget and more about your likes and dislikes about vacations it is very difficult for anyone to give you a recommendation on which line to choose. There are others that are possibilities too.

My recommendation is that you ask friends and work colleagues who you know and respect and who cruise if they have a cruise travel agent who they recommend. You ideally want to find one who is knowledgeable in a wide range of cruises lines including luxury cruise lines.

Keith

Hi everyone.

I am looking for some guidance. All the lines listed above will offer me 12-17 day cruises to the Med next year in August. I am trying to find the best fit and wonder if there are other people out there like me who can offer some recommendations?

Myself and my wife have never cruised before. I am 49 and my wife is 47. I own a few businesses and my wife is a teacher. We have started enjoying the nicer things in life - More expensive hotels, nice food etc and this will be our first holiday without our children so we don't particularly want to be surrounded by children.

I can imagine a dream holiday looking like this -

Spending the day touring or by the pool. I like a little Scuba diving, but maybe only 2 dives. Happy to snorkel too. We like reading.

Once the day is done, I imagine going to the gym for a bit to lose a few calories, then have a nice meal, few glasses of wine, perhaps on a table with others, perhaps not, definitely not all the time. Then, maybe take in a show, then off to room.

I can't imagine we will be into late night entertainment, party games etc. I do like the sound of cooking classes..

Is this enough? Knowing what you know about cruises I wonder where we might fit in?

Be interesting to hear from anyone similar ages too who have been on more commercial cruises like RCCL then tried the luxury cruises, which do you prefer?

Thanks

Mark

We have taken Windstar across the coast of Europe and think it would make you both happy. Pricing is reasonable, mix of ports, very few children if any, upscale but not pretentious. Suggest that you do back to backs which would give you 14 to 18 days depending on itinerary and a discount of 5%. Lots of dive spots along the way if you do Italy, Croatia, Spain. Water platform for swimming and water sports go down in some ports but only if ship at anchor, not docked. No problem with tenders. Never have had to wait more than 10 minutes. Agree with another poster on the James Beard sailings. We did their first one last year and it was amazing. Special wine pairings, demonstrations by chefs, shopping in port with celebrity chef, and more wine tastings than we ever anticipated. No shows, at night. A couple of duos for dancing. Wind Surf max 300 people, the power yachts 200. Both lovely. Smallest in Europe is the Wind Star which carries 148 and sails mostly Greece in summers. Passengers generally 40's and up. Mostly Americans with a sprinkling of others. Each sailing generally has 50 to 70 percent repeat customers if that is meaningful. Their best pricing are the July and December sales but have flash sales occasionally that are awesome. If you book and prices go down they will honor new pricing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks. August is our only time and i can see the cruises are port intensive. I think we could probably wander aound some of the ports for a couple of hours then jump back on. Whilst other ports like Rome would be a full on visit.

I did like the Seabourn cruise but then I read a comment that smoking is allowed on the cruise and i really dont want to be surrounded by smokers. Is this a problem on Seabourn?

Mark

Seabourn have changed their policy, there is hardly any smoking on any of their ships, two small out of the way areas that no one goes to, unless you smoke of course !

We had a special anniversary and birthdays coming up so decided to go on a cruise. I knew what I wanted... understated luxury, nice fellow passengers, good service, smaller ships, no queues, no tipping and just to feel spoilt.

I narrowed it down to three cruise lines and chose Seabourn. The cruise was supposed to be a one off. However, we're hooked and have just booked our third!

I'm not going to say Seabourn is better than any other luxury cruise line but for us, we love it for very many reasons, probably top of our list are the wonderful staff who just make you feel so special.

Good luck in your search :)

We have taken Windstar across the coast of Europe and think it would make you both happy. Pricing is reasonable, mix of ports, very few children if any, upscale but not pretentious. Suggest that you do back to backs which would give you 14 to 18 days depending on itinerary and a discount of 5%. Lots of dive spots along the way if you do Italy, Croatia, Spain. Water platform for swimming and water sports go down in some ports but only if ship at anchor, not docked. No problem with tenders. Never have had to wait more than 10 minutes. Agree with another poster on the James Beard sailings. We did their first one last year and it was amazing. Special wine pairings, demonstrations by chefs, shopping in port with celebrity chef, and more wine tastings than we ever anticipated. No shows, at night. A couple of duos for dancing. Wind Surf max 300 people, the power yachts 200. Both lovely. Smallest in Europe is the Wind Star which carries 148 and sails mostly Greece in summers. Passengers generally 40's and up. Mostly Americans with a sprinkling of others. Each sailing generally has 50 to 70 percent repeat customers if that is meaningful. Their best pricing are the July and December sales but have flash sales occasionally that are awesome. If you book and prices go down they will honor new pricing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Are the fitness centers adequate?

My husband and I cruised RCCL in our 30's, lots of kids, crowds and noise. In our 40's we tried Oceania, really nice cruise that gave us a taste of luxury but unless in penthouse level rooms really small and we found with added charges cost often equal to price of luxury cruise. In our 40's and 50's we have gone on only Regent, Seabourn and Crystal. Had a not great Crystal cruise. See our old review if you care. We loved Regent and was our favorite until we went on Seabourn. Love Seabourn. Smoking not an issue anymore...