Tipping yacht club

Viva123

We have been on 7 previous cruises on other cruise lines. Normally always tipped our room steward and dining staff extra cash upfront to ensure we have a really great and pleasant vacation. This has always worked for us being that these workers hardly make much money for all the responsibilities that they have and normally the great service they provide. I heard on the Yacht Club ( We leave on Divina in 12 Days) not to tip extra until the end. Service could be spotty? Any thoughts? Again normally when we tip the first day they go above and beyond for us the rest the cruise to make it extra special.

Thanks

I'm interested to hear what some fellow cruisers have to say on this question.

For the most part, I'd say that tipping is a personal choice, when it come to when to tip and how much. As for me, I've never "pre-tipped" anyone. We've cruised Haven (with RCI) and Concierge (with Disney) and have always received great service from the very start which resulted in a great tip on the final day of the cruise. But, I can say that I tipped the bartender on the Disney Dream very well on the first day of our cruise last summer and the service level I received from him for the rest of the cruise went through the roof! I didn't even need to order my favorite drinks for the rest of the week! He'd see me coming and instantly pour me a tall Kona Longboard, and nice shot of single malt scotch. So I can see how tipping well on the first day can provide a little motivation.

Our first MSC cruise is aboard Divina (in 62 days!) and I'm interested to see how YC compares to the other cruise lines. I may try pre-tipping this time and see what happens.

Good question!

I always tip at the end of the cruise: Butler, cabin steward, most Top Sail lounge staff, certain One Pool bar waiters, restaurant waiter and his assistant, spa therapist; then I hope I didn't miss someone I should have remembered. In the Yacht Club pre-tipping is not necessary at all because they all work hard. I've never come across a lackadaisical YC staff member. I don't believe they'd last very long.

Thanks for all the response, I believe we will wait until the end of the cruise and take care of everybody like suggested. This is our first yacht club experience, and excited to see how it compares to princess. If everything comes true what we've read the yacht club might be what we cruise on from this point forward.

We have been on 7 previous cruises on other cruise lines. Normally always tipped our room steward and dining staff extra cash upfront to ensure we have a really great and pleasant vacation. This has always worked for us being that these workers hardly make much money for all the responsibilities that they have and normally the great service they provide. I heard on the Yacht Club ( We leave on Divina in 12 Days) not to tip extra until the end. Service could be spotty? Any thoughts? Again normally when we tip the first day they go above and beyond for us the rest the cruise to make it extra special.

Thanks

Agreed, for the most part, we have had very positive results letting the staff know that we will reward them for excellent service, that we are in the game.

Cheers.

I've never come across a lackadaisical YC staff member. I don't believe they'd last very long.

I have - our butler on our first YC sailing on Splendida. Whether he's still employed by MSC I can't say although he was still serving in YC as I saw him on Preziosa a couple of years later.

Never have tipped in advance. YC staff and butlers go above and beyond to make sure you have a wonderful time. We are ones to make sure we speak to all of them and our butlers have been fantastic! We have found friendliness and smiles go a long way in receiving good service. Our only complaint is the YC is getting booked so much we have a hard time finding available cabins when we want to cruise ;p

Never have tipped in advance. YC staff and butlers go above and beyond to make sure you have a wonderful time. We are ones to make sure we speak to all of them and our butlers have been fantastic! We have found friendliness and smiles go a long way in receiving good service. Our only complaint is the YC is getting booked so much we have a hard time finding available cabins when we want to cruise ;p

Never having changed your method, aren't you at least curious if you would get better service if you advance part of your tip at beginning of cruise?

• Like 1

Aren't you at least curious if you would get better service if you don't advance part of your tip at the beginning of a cruise?

YC prices are steep enough that service should be consistent for all guests and not elevated on account of bribery.

Ah, did not mean to get into a price discussion. Different subject from thread all together. I have never, even though many as obviously yourself do, consider service tips as "bribery". If I had that point of view, I would also withhold them. But coming from a country and culture where bribery is rampant, to an immobilizing level, I do not believe in bribery. thank you for your point of view.

Cheers.

We did not pre-tip in the Yacht Club and our butler, cabin steward, etc all went over and above. Service was excellent!! Some could find it insulting if you pre-tip. You're not giving them a chance to show how good their service is. You're implying that they need incentive. Just my .02

• Like 2

Tipping extra is a completely personal choice and I agree that everyone should get equal service across-the-board whether you tip or not, especially in the yacht club. But I do believe it's completely a personal opinion, I have always tiped extra on every cruise and great service is always provided never had a complaint. Therefore I won't change what is working for me. I do know for a fact that most of the employees in the cruise line industry make very low wages and that being said a little extra cash can go a long ways. What means little to you could mean a whole lot to somebody else.

We board the Divina next week, and I'll be making sure to write a review of the yacht club as I have read many of others and I would be happy to give back my personal thoughts and opinion for the next person who is interested in trying the Yacht Club for the first time.

Nope. The level of service we receive has always been more than sufficient 👍

Point taken. I am glad it works well for you. I was just curious.

We have tried both, just when we thought we were receiving top service level, we were pleasantly surprised and the staff was happier and more relaxed. Also did not cost a penny more.

Personally I like being rewarded, as soon as I do work for others. I just thought others would like to be treated the same.

Cheers.

Tipping extra is a completely personal choice and I agree that everyone should get equal service across-the-board whether you tip or not, especially in the yacht club. But I do believe it's completely a personal opinion, I have always tiped extra on every cruise and great service is always provided never had a complaint. Therefore I won't change what is working for me. I do know for a fact that most of the employees in the cruise line industry make very low wages and that being said a little extra cash can go a long ways. What means little to you could mean a whole lot to somebody else.

We board the Divina next week, and I'll be making sure to write a review of the yacht club as I have read many of others and I would be happy to give back my personal thoughts and opinion for the next person who is interested in trying the Yacht Club for the first time.

Viva, I would be very interested in reading your review. Thank you for helping us.

Cheers.

Absolutely, we're very excited. Stay tuned in... with the affordable Internet package that we bought I'll be able to post daily review that way if anybody has questions while I'm on board id be happy to answer them

• Like 1

Absolutely, we're very excited. Stay tuned in... with the affordable Internet package that we bought I'll be able to post daily review that way if anybody has questions while I'm on board id be happy to answer them

Looking forward to your review. We sail this summer. Can't wait!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We did not pre-tip in the Yacht Club and our butler, cabin steward, etc all went over and above. Service was excellent!! Some could find it insulting if you pre-tip. You're not giving them a chance to show how good their service is. You're implying that they need incentive. Just my .02

I just place myself I heir shoes. Should I be in the service industry at a level that is usual and customary to receive tips, I would never be insulted to receive a stipend. At any time. On the contrary, that would just be another dimension of measuring how much I pleased the customer.

Having spoken about the issue with many in the service industry, I find the only time they get insulted is by the absence or small amount of the rewards.

Cheers.

Oh no way! You would do that for us? That is awesome. Can't wait to read your posts.

I would be so lazy during the cruise I would probably never turn on the PC, what I am saying, I don't even carry one to the cruise. LOL.

Thanks, enjoy your cruise.

I always tip at the end of the cruise: Butler, cabin steward, most Top Sail lounge staff, certain One Pool bar waiters, restaurant waiter and his assistant, spa therapist; then I hope I didn't miss someone I should have remembered. In the Yacht Club pre-tipping is not necessary at all because they all work hard. I've never come across a lackadaisical YC staff member. I don't believe they'd last very long.

Totally agree we also gave extra the service was wonderful in the YC they desire and are grateful for the extra tip.

Thanks for all the response, I believe we will wait until the end of the cruise and take care of everybody like suggested. This is our first yacht club experience, and excited to see how it compares to princess. If everything comes true what we've read the yacht club might be what we cruise on from this point forward.

And you will certainly continue with yacht club!;) We booked already another cruise for New Year's Eve on Fantasia in yacht club and another one in summer but Aurea experience. For summer there is no yacht club on the ship, unfortunatelly... It is an amazing experience, the first cruise ever for us and before that, I wouldn't have imagined we would sail again twice this year...

Have a marvellous and divine cruise! :halo:

Aren't you at least curious if you would get better service if you don't advance part of your tip at the beginning of a cruise?

YC prices are steep enough that service should be consistent for all guests and not elevated on account of bribery.

Totally agree with you Bea, BUT we are talking about people that sometimes don't go that extra mile if you don't let them know that they would be rewarded.... Sad but true...

• 2 years later...

Just adding my 2 cents since I'll be disembarking from my 17 night Transatlantic sailing in Yacht Club in the morning.... You absolutely do not need to tip in advance in YC. I'm a veteran YC'r across many ships, several times since 2015.  While some are absolutely preferred for one reason or another, we've had amazing Butlers every time & every one has been eager to please at every turn on this incredible journey, it's hard to know who not to tip since so many of the Butlers and their junior staff & crew behind the key card access of the Yacht Club doors, make a huge impact on your overall experience.... Many whom I've come to know from ship to ship, take great pride in providing exemplary service & care so tipping at the end will not be an issue in Yacht Club no matter what ship or itinerary you're sailing,  promise!

• Like 1

I'm assuming you're on Meraviglia.  If so, I hope we will be able to say the same thing about the butlers - we haven't always experienced great service - our butler on Seaview last month was very poor, indeed.  He seemed to dislike his job and had a surly, unfriendly way about him.

I'd never tip anyone in advance in the hope of receiving better service - I expect to receive good service regardless.  I actually got better service from a barman once than someone who had slipped him €20 - because we knew him from another cruise and had befriended him (and hadn't tipped him then, either!).  Being friendly to/with the crew works wonders. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, LauraBCruizer said:

we've had amazing Butlers every time & every one has been eager to please at every turn on this incredible journey, it's hard to know who not to tip since so many of the Butlers and their junior staff & crew behind the key card access of the Yacht Club doors, make a huge impact on your overall experience.... Many whom I've come to know from ship to ship, take great pride in providing exemplary service & care so tipping at the end will not be an issue in Yacht Club no matter what ship or itinerary you're sailing,  promise!

You are fortunate then. Our butler was non existent. 7 days and nights and we saw him 4 times. First time was by accident as he was in the hallway talking. It is hit or miss with which butlers provide exemplary service, ours did not.