Leaving the Ship on Last Day

Jenny2121

First time I am traveling on a large ship. Arriving in Southampton England and returning to Heathrow Airport. What time can I expect to be off the ship and at the airport? How long does it take to get off the ship? Should I plan on departing from the airport in the afternoon to make the flight? Any information would be helpful. Thanks,:)

Typically the ship will be cleared of all passengers by about 10 AM. Your specific disembarkation time will depend on your mode of transportation and flight time. A couple of days in advance of arrival you will be given a packet requesting this information and then will be given colored luggage tags that correspond with your specific disembarkation time as assigned.

We will typically use a Princess transfer (a bus) which takes us from the pier to the airport, including our luggage. The specific departure time will get us to the airport in plenty of time to get boarding passes, clear security screening, and be at our gate.

Your Princess travel summary will give specific recommendations concerning the earliest flight time you should have.

From the Princess web-site:

Disembarking Passengers

For voyages arriving in Southampton at 5:00 am, the earliest flight departure from Heathrow is 12:00 pm, the earliest flight departure from Gatwick is 12:30 pm, and the earliest train departure from Victora Coach Station is 11:30 am.

For voyages arriving in Southampton at 7:00 am, the earliest flight departure from Heathrow is 2:00 pm, the earliest flight departure from Gatwick is 2:30 pm and the earliest train departure from Victoria Coach Station is 1:00 pm.

First time I am traveling on a large ship. Arriving in Southampton England and returning to Heathrow Airport. What time can I expect to be off the ship and at the airport? How long does it take to get off the ship? Should I plan on departing from the airport in the afternoon to make the flight? Any information would be helpful. Thanks,:)

Better to take your flight in the afternoon. Last May, we chose to disembark at past 9am and used Princess transfer, arriving LHR at noon.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Edited by easyboy

Definitely book an afternoon flight. The airport is quite some distance (several hours). There could be any number of reasons for a small hold up so air on the side of caution.

Southampton to Heathrow by road is less than 70 miles and takes less than 90 minutes on the M3 unless there is a major accident. Even using the M27 and the A3 the distance is less than 85 miles and takes less than 105 minutes.

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/City+Cruise+Terminal,+Southampton+SO15+1GZ,+UK/Heathrow+Airport+Terminal+3,+Hounslow,+United+Kingdom/@51.1506645,-0.9167928,10z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476c77925ec41:0xa6ad868ea7f851fa!2m2!1d-1.4146129!2d50.900112!1m5!1m1!1s0x4876052005bec83b:0x66a42b242beff3eb!2m2!1d-0.4577881!2d51.4707322

We disembarked from Southampton in June 2016. The drive is around 90 mins from Southampton to Heathrow. At Heathrow check in, security, transport to the gate was over 2 hours. It is a complex airport. If you are flying the day of disembarkation book an afternoon flight for sure. We actually stayed overnight at a hotel near Heathrow and flew the next morning. This was a lot less tiring.

Last year we debarked our cruise on a sunny Saturday morning and encountered massive traffic delays for most of the drive to Heathrow, which added a whole new dimension to that post-cruise experience. :eek: