Getting a cab in Juneau to Mendenhall Glacier

mom02

$30 rt and it includes the fees to see the glacier and the visitor center. (I just called today to verify) You spend as much time as you like rather than held to an hour through the cruise line. I booked through Juneau Tours online. Enjoy!

Do it require you going at a specific time? Sounds like returns are as you wish, but if pre-booked does it require taking a specific time ?

Do it require you going at a specific time? Sounds like returns are as you wish, but if pre-booked does it require taking a specific time ?

No I don't believe so. You just show up on the 1/2 hr and take the shuttle to the glacier returning at their last run. I don't recall setting a specific time for arrival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally we would rent a car, we have been there a dozen times and rented cars for a third of our trips. There is so much more that you can see while in Juneau. We took a drive across the bridge, down the road miles past the Mendenhall Glacier turnoff, went to Glacier Gardens, went to the Beer Factory and also to Walmart when it was there!! We love Mendenhall Glacier, it is always a must do as we saw it for the first time in 1986. The waterfall that everyone walks to now was behind the glacier back in 1986, the poor thing has receded so much. OKAY, I am dwelling, rent a car, you won't be disappointed. :D

Is there a taxi station near cruise terminal so people can just catch them? or we need to pre book or call them to come?

There are cab lines. IF you do take a cab to Mendenhall and want one to return, then you do need to call a cab for Mendenhall pick up about 30 minutes prior to needing it.

Personally we would rent a car, we have been there a dozen times and rented cars for a third of our trips. There is so much more that you can see while in Juneau. We took a drive across the bridge, down the road miles past the Mendenhall Glacier turnoff, went to Glacier Gardens, went to the Beer Factory and also to Walmart when it was there!! We love Mendenhall Glacier, it is always a must do as we saw it for the first time in 1986. The waterfall that everyone walks to now was behind the glacier back in 1986, the poor thing has receded so much. OKAY, I am dwelling, rent a car, you won't be disappointed. :D

Can I ask which car hire cos you would recommend please. We've seen one that does older cars that's near the port but if feel safer with a reputable brand that are reliable and accessible for us. Thanks

A few times we used National, as they were located near the pier. Last year we rented from them at the airport. We took a taxi to the airport, it was around $30 and then they took us back to the pier when we returned the car. I think Avis or Dollar has a place downtown, but not sure. :cool:

Can I ask which car hire cos you would recommend please. We've seen one that does older cars that's near the port but if feel safer with a reputable brand that are reliable and accessible for us. Thanks

You don't hear of Juneau Car Renal cars breaking down. They have been in business for years. They obviously do maintain their cars.

The only other port vendor is Avis on Mill St.

I would not count on getting a transfer to/from the airport without fees from any vendor. The above mention was lucky. There is the airport bus that does run once/hour with limited hours, if you rent from the airport. Otherwise, I'd suggest budgeting $70 for cabs with an airport car rental. If less, good for you.

I was emailing with Evergreen. They didn't specify what kind of vehicles they were trying to set us up with, but they did say in their email that it was a US Forest Service fee. Maybe when I hear back from the park ranger they can clarify if there's a fee they charge commercial vehicles in addition to what's on their website.

The shuttles are $30 r/t per person. With our family of 9, that would almost $150 more expensive than getting 2 cabs

Why don't you look into renting a van instead of relying on public transportation or cabs. Remember that a lot of times the advice you get on here works well when you are talking about 1 or 2 people but is pretty worthless when you are considering large groups.

The van provides you many other options after you finish at the glacier.

• 5 weeks later...
Does someone have the numbers to these cab companies?

There are 3 companies listed on the Mendenhall web site. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

There may be others......check the town web sitd.

Either make a reservation for the return trip, or call them from your cell phone about 45 - 60 minutes before you're reafy to leave, (they will be busy on cruise days and no telling where the're coming from)

There are 3 companies listed on the Mendenhall web site. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

There may be others......check the town web sitd.

Either make a reservation for the return trip, or call them from your cell phone about 45 - 60 minutes before you're reafy to leave, (they will be busy on cruise days and no telling where the're coming from)

Thanks for sharing the website. Good information.

I've been there twice but never walked to the waterfall.... do you know how long it takes to walk to the falls?

There used to be shuttles that were converted school buses which were located just a ways down from the dock. The last time I used them was in 2012. The charge was quite reasonable (like $12 round trip I think). Are they still available and how much do they charge?

I've been there twice but never walked to the waterfall.... do you know how long it takes to walk to the falls?

I posted the link for Mendenhall Glacier in this thread ..... if you open it you'll find a map with the trails, distance, time, difficulty level, etc. The Nugget Falls Trail can be done in 45-60 minutes, plus whatever time you want to spend at the falls.

There used to be shuttles that were converted school buses which were located just a ways down from the dock. The last time I used them was in 2012. The charge was quite reasonable (like $12 round trip I think). Are they still available and how much do they charge?

The Mendenhall Glacier web site ( above, in this thread) lists transportation options to the park, including the 2 shuttle companies. I believe it is up to $35pp now, to include the $5 park fee.

The Mendenhall Glacier web site ( above, in this thread) lists transportation options to the park, including the 2 shuttle companies. I believe it is up to $35pp now, to include the $5 park fee.

Did I read that you can get portion of this back as a senior with a card?