Bahamas port that had armed police/military Norwegian Sky

caper508

I have a terrible memory and as result I cannot remember which port it was, while on the Sky, where we had to walk through a large gated area with armed military/police. I think it was Nassau but not sure. You walk through a large gated area to access shuttles and buses.

Any guesses ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It could be Nassau. There's a long walk from the ship, then they funnel you through a building because there's a fence around the rest. I don't remember armed guards, but I remember official looking guys, police or maybe border patrol

I have a terrible memory and as result I cannot remember which port it was, while on the Sky, where we had to walk through a large gated area with armed military/police. I think it was Nassau but not sure. You walk through a large gated area to access shuttles and buses.

Any guesses ?

Yes, it was definitely Nassau.

May I ask: What was terrible about the memory? Here in the UK, police at ports are usually armed, we're quite used to it. Are you from a country where none of the police carry firearms?

May I ask: What was terrible about the memory? Here in the UK, police at ports are usually armed, we're quite used to it. Are you from a country where none of the police carry firearms?

I think the OP meant they don't have a good memory (meaning can't remember things LOL).

Also, I would say it's a little disconcerting the first time you see it. They are heavily armed with (what I assume are) assault rifles strung across their fronts. At the U.S. ports and major cities I've been to, police weapons are not as prominently displayed. Ports have security similar to airport security - yes, they are armed, but the guns are typically side pieces. Also, in the U.S. we don't typically have military at the port. So like I said, it's just a little disconcerting, especially considering that elsewhere in the Bahamas, namely Freeport, don't have the same security.

Oh I see! Haha I thought that OP meant that they found the sight of armed police alarming haha! I've been all over the world, and the US is the only country I've been to where the armed port police have anything less than an assault rifle.

I would find it disconcerting to see a lack of armed police at a port!

I can see the confusion over my post. Yes, I have a foggy recollection of the port and I do believe it is Nassau. My husband is a cop so I am not concerned with guns necessarily but am a little uneasy seeing larger automated weapons openly displayed. Really not a big deal it was just surprising. I do appreciate security for sure which is why I married a cop [emoji23]