....the Oceanic?

MrPete

I saw the Oceanic in Barcelona in May 2005 - she still looks quite beautiful. I was on HAL Prinsendam -Oceanic was much more sleek & attractive. I believe she does cruises out of Barcelona.

I sailed on her in the 1970's - the best of everything - puts todays cruises to shame.

One note - the exterior looks very much the same - as opposed to the FRANCE / Norway & how she was butchered with additional decks.

One note - the exterior looks very much the same - as opposed to the FRANCE / Norway & how she was butchered with additional decks.

We can all be thankful that OCEANIC's exterior looks much the same as always, but unfortunately her interiors were largely gutted and rebuilt by Premier in 1986. The dining room is partially original (though still significantly altered), as are some cabins, staircases/corridors/connective spaces, and perhaps a few other bits here and there, but Premier gutted her public areas and most of what's there now is, to my eye, quite awful from a decorative standpoint. That certainly wouldn't keep me from sailing in her, but it is a pity that her original, very stylish interiors are gone.

I have quite a few friends who have tried OCEANIC under Pullmantur, and all have come away very sastisfied. Several have liked her enough to become repeat passengers. They have been enthusiastic enough to convince me that I will have to try her; cruising Spanish style sounds rather fun actually!

I might add that the latest issue of Sea Lines, the magazine of the Ocean Liner Society, has a report by Bruce Peter of his recent cruise on OCEANIC. I haven't gotten a chance to read it but I'm sure it's excellent. (Disclaimer: Bruce is a friend of mine, as are the editor of Sea Lines and the chairman of the OLS.)

In 2006 OCEANIC will not be the only classic ship doing 7-day cruises from Barcelona, as MSC's MONTEREY will be competing with her. (There is a slight chance I may organize a group cruise on MONTEREY in the summer.) Both ships will depart weekly on Mondays, and I know at least one person who is going to try to take back-to-back cruises on OCEANIC and MONTEREY. They are of course very different ships, but the comparison between the two would be interesting...

Wow, I can't believe she is still sailing, I thought she was reduced to a tin can years ago. I went on her in 73, I think. My first cruise. The deck chairs were assigned and I think you even had a deck steward who watched over your chairs. It was a great cruise, went from new york to the bahamas. great pool games and food.

Archived