Specialty restaurants with a 3 year old

I am going to be on a Baltic Cruise in June with my three year old daughter. I'm wondering if I can take her to the specialty restaurants. She is a very well behaved child who is used to dining in restaurants. She also has a very good palette and will eat almost anything. Just wondering if we would be comfortable at Qsine, etc. We will be on Silhouette.

I can't find Celebrities policy and they seem like they charge full price for children. Not a problem, just curious if anyone knows or has taken small children to these restaurants.

I personally would not appreciate paying for a fine dining experience and being seated to a 3 year old children that age is a crap shoot. Crying or throwing food on the floor to getting loud. I know it's hard to not be able to do everything you want to do but I would recommend booking a sitter on the boat or the children's program, that way you can enjoy the experience as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Specialty dining takes a long time. Two to three hours are not uncommon. That's something to keep in mind when making your decision. Is your child likely to get cranky sitting still for that long?

They may or may not offer you a child price but in my opinion your money would be better spent arranging for an in room babysitter.

We have dined in Qsine a couple of times and love it and did the Baltic last year but despite the ship having children on board there were none in the restaurant. We were in there for nearly 3 hours so would not recommend it with a child under 10 years. I think it is adult only

Technically your child would be allowed in all venues. Murano's used to have an age limit but no longer have one...

We regularly dine in all...if I describe the experience then you may be better able to decide on which restaurants would better suit you...

Tuscan is an Italian style steakhouse serving pastas as well as a range of fish and meat dishes. We find some of the pasta fairly bland which may make them a good children's choice. They serve an antipasti board as you order to share...Service is fairly fast, but if you are going to enjoy coffee etc the meal length time for us has been nearing 2 hours. We have seen young children there, some coping much better than others...some obviously just tired out. If you do decide to go there I would suggest booking at 6pm as they open, the restaurant will be less busy, service should be fairly fast...

Q'sine is very novel, you choose items from an iPad...small quantities of lots of things come decorated well and quite amusingly (for example sushi lollipops). I honestly think your daughter would love this experience. For yourselves, I would not call it fine dining but I would describe it as great fun!

Murano's is our favourite. Service is very correct, dining pace is slow, tableside preparation enjoyable. It is the venue most frequented by couples, often to celebrate special events...we tend to book for 6pm and if we linger over cheese and port and coffee and cognac our meal will be in excess of two hours.

If I was you I would definitely give Q'sine a go early in the cruise. I honestly think as a family you would really enjoy it. If your daughter does cope well then give Tuscan a go.

I do think Murano's may not suit her yet....But I do think you and your husband would love it! I totally agree with the suggestion of getting a sitter one evening and you and your husband having a night to yourselves....

Re cost...Chat to one of the speciality managers when boarding. They will often offer dining package deals...

Whatever you choose I hope you and your family have a great dining and cruise experience!

The novelty of Quine may not be apparent to a three year old. But that or Tuscan have your best chance of success if you decide to go forward with this. I agree that a babysitter (actually they always send two) would be a better idea.

I am going to be on a Baltic Cruise in June with my three year old daughter. I'm wondering if I can take her to the specialty restaurants. She is a very well behaved child who is used to dining in restaurants. She also has a very good palette and will eat almost anything. Just wondering if we would be comfortable at Qsine, etc. We will be on Silhouette.

I can't find Celebrities policy and they seem like they charge full price for children. Not a problem, just curious if anyone knows or has taken small children to these restaurants.

Every parent says that their child is wonderfully behaved and can handle being in a fine restaurant with a long meal. I have also been in land based restaurants where a "well behaved" child ruined the dining experience for the other diners. I assume that if your "well behaved" child acts up in any way, you will remove her immediately or if I am there I will complain to the matre'd.. If she is really well behaved, I would suggest that the Italian restaurant or Q'Sine would be the best match for her especially as Q'Sine has what one would call fun food.

DON

Previous post from official Celebrity Rep:

'We have implemented children's pricing in all of our specialty restaurants.

• Kids 5 and under dine for free
  • Kids ages 6-12 will dine for lunch & dinner at our specialty restaurantsat a discounted rate of $10 from the standard dinner menu

Children pricing not available for premium experiences including Chef’s Table, Connoisseur dinners, Food and Wine pairing dinners, Top Chef Dinner etc. '

Celebrity Cruises

www.Celebrity.com

Hi

We've dined with our daughter at all the s class speciality restaurants. I think she was 4 the first time we used them. It's definitely got better over the last couple of years. They all now have children's menus - even murano - which are really good, although they are free to order off the main menu if they so wish. Our daughter loves both qsine and the lawn club grill. The "theatre" aspect of both keeps them occupied. A meal will take a couple of hours but it's only a bit longer than the MDR. We've never had a problem but she was well used to eating in restaurants on land beforehand.

We have dined in Qsine a couple of times and love it and did the Baltic last year but despite the ship having children on board there were none in the restaurant. We were in there for nearly 3 hours so would not recommend it with a child under 10 years. I think it is adult only

Kids are allowed but I think it would be pretty boring for a 3 years old. We had 4 kids from 9 to 14 with us and they all loved the food at Qsine. But they were gone in about 1.5 hour because they just want to eat and go play else where. I think the adults stayed for about 3 hours.

For all those who do not want to dine with a 3 year old Celebrity may not be the cruise line for you. It's a mass market cruise line and not adult only. You should expect to find kids in any venue including a speciality restaurant.

I appreciate the feed back. Thank you Chemmo and villauk for the detail on the restaurants. I assumed Q'sine would be a fun experience for both of us.

Please dine where and when is good for you and your daughter. Those who do not like it can dine elsewhere!

Way too many people on this board who think Celebrity is an assisted living complex for the sedate and elderly

Celebrity bills itself as open to all ages. I expect to see children, and to hear them. :) That being said, my older kids are also usually well-behaved - and we still aren't bringing them to Murano's. From all accounts, it would be a long meal requiring an awful lot of kids' patience. We are saving that one for "date night".

I can't believe what I am reading here in response to a question "Littlebella" asked. How rude some people are.:confused: I don't think she was asking for either your permission of approval!

Littlebella, go and enjoy your holiday and I hope your little girl has a lovely time and enjoys every minute along with the experience of the specialty restaurants.:D

See. originally Celebrity did not allow small children in the specialty restaurants. There was a reason for that. Kind of made sense, since although everyone has perfectly well-behaved children, we never seem to see them. Had a 4 year old run totally amok on Constellation last month in the MDR. No action by parents, and, of course, no action whatsoever by staff. They are so trained to kowtow to every pax wish and whim that they let insane situations like that go.

So I am going to go to a specialty restaurant, pay anywhere between $75 to $100 premium, and share the experience with a toddler who may, or most importantly may not, behave.

And the worst part is, I am the bad guy according to many on here if I don't think that is appropriate.

And people want to tout Celebrity as "an upscale experience."

Not.

I originally refrained from commenting on any of the negative posts. I was taken aback at how rude some of the comments were. Since I'm the original poster I will add my two cents. I wasn't looking for anyone's opinion as to if I should take my daughter, I just wanted to know what the policy was on the cruise line. For the record, I am a single mother and I travel and dine with my daughter often. She IS my date! I give her my full attention during dinner. I am working very hard to teach her about how to behave in many different settings, especially at restaurants. I also like to expose her to many different cuisines. She can recognize more herbs than most adults.

I actually feel bad for those people who don't understand the joy a child, especially of her age, can bring to any experience. My daughter, like most children, is full of joy and wonder and notices things that I am no longer sensitive to. She enhances every part of my life.

I specifically was curious about Q'sine because I thought it would be fun for her but I wanted to make sure it wasn't akin to Alinea in Chicago(although I really didn't think it could be). This is a cruise ship and a vacation. It's should be fun.

Thank you to those who came to my defense, I appreciate it.

There are many 3 year olds who behave better and are quieter than some adults. I've been near tables with loud and obnoxious "adults", making it hard to hear my dining companion. littabella, you're the only one who will know if your daughter will become restless during the extended times these meals take. I often work with preschoolers aged 3-4 and there's a big variance in attention spans. Qsine is unique and you will be able to find lots to chat about with the unusual presentations. Have you seen pictures of their food on cruise critic? I'm thinking of the sushi and the strawberry garden specifically. They should provide you with lots of entertainment.