Harmony Horrors!!

@ilovetotravel1977 some people make ridiculous demands, in this case especially u can tell that this was an innocent mistake made by BOTH parties. We joke, because as a society if we take everything serious, we wouldn't be able to coexist. I'd rather laugh, then scream or cry. So quit attacking people for joking around about something simple as a lost item. It is a lost denture, not a lost life. Did anyone die because of this? Sucks to be in this situation especially in the middle of the ocean. I'm former military and losing a denture would be a blessing compared to some of the stuff we lost while deployed, including soldiers in arms. Enjoy life, it's too short!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

Well said and puts things into proper perspective.

wvacca10 - exactly. And thank you for your service.

No one is denying this was unfortunate. But it's amazing how people find this website AFTER a cruise and come on here to complain and rant. The OP has not been back to give any detail as to where the dentures were, if they were wrapped or just sitting out. Anyone with cruise experience knows how rare it is for an attendant to simply throw something out that is lying on a counter. I'm not saying it can't happen but I find it hard to believe that a full set of teeth sitting alone on a bathroom counter would be tossed "by mistake".

No one is denying this was unfortunate. But it's amazing how people find this website AFTER a cruise and come on here to complain and rant. The OP has not been back to give any detail as to where the dentures were, if they were wrapped or just sitting out. Anyone with cruise experience knows how rare it is for an attendant to simply throw something out that is lying on a counter. I'm not saying it can't happen but I find it hard to believe that a full set of teeth sitting alone on a bathroom counter would be tossed "by mistake".

100% agree on all points.

@ilovetotravel1977 some people make ridiculous demands, in this case especially u can tell that this was an innocent mistake made by BOTH parties. We joke, because as a society if we take everything serious, we wouldn't be able to coexist. I'd rather laugh, then scream or cry. So quit attacking people for joking around about something simple as a lost item. It is a lost denture, not a lost life. Did anyone die because of this? Sucks to be in this situation especially in the middle of the ocean. I'm former military and losing a denture would be a blessing compared to some of the stuff we lost while deployed, including soldiers in arms. Enjoy life, it's too short!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your service!!

I cannot see a cabin steward risking losing his job by doing something like this.

A low key question would have got them the information they wanted from our helpful posters or even just Google the question.

As Judge Judy would say. If it doesn't sound right it usually isn't right and i think if it was genuine they are just after full compensation.

I am not sue happy, I have never sued anybody. If dentures were there when they left and gone when they got back, what are the other alternatives?. Whatever happened to believing the poster, for a change? You made assumptions without knowing the facts so why can't anybody else? I'm guessing the cabin steward admitted to throwing them out otherwise why would RCL offer anything, they surely don't care about bad publicity. If it goes to court, the truth will come out and I don't think RCL will be shown in a positive light. Maybe sometime in the future something will go wrong on one of you cruises and you post about the injustice. There will be people who show you as much compassion and understanding as you showed these people.

Losing dentures is a far cry from being beaten to within an inch of your life. Just saying.

Losing dentures is a far cry from being beaten to within an inch of your life. Just saying.

I just think theres a way of gaining friends and support and ways of getting peoples backs up and the op certainly did the second.

Wolfie, we have to cruise together sometime. I never meet anyone as interesting as you when i am on the ship...

Love ya

JC

I feel bad for the OP. I can't imagine having to go days without teeth :( I'd be furious if something like that happened to one of my parents (my Dad wears dentures).

On my last cruise, the steward threw away two different things that were not meant to be thrown away, nowhere near the value of dentures, but still - I was a bit miffed that a personal item was tossed. I think sometimes they do get a bit zealous in their cleaning, and if the dentures were wrapped in something, I can easily believe the steward got a bit careless, or was feeling rushed if he had a heavy workload that day.

How does someone throw away teeth by mistake? Was the attendant blind?

I'm not blind but I through away my own darned retainer. Things happen when we don't put things in their correct places.

Not only do you have to pay for the replacement, you have to endure eating babyfood until you get the replacement and yes that's embarrassing.

My dad has full dentures that he despises, rarely wears them, and he doesn't eat baby food. He eats normal food. Just takes him awhile and he takes small bites. Sandwiches and everything.

Besides, ship moves, and they can break if just left on the counter.

Yep

...it's just one of those things that are hard lessons learned about putting your things away where they belong so that you don't lose them (like kids putting retainers in their cases at lunch instead of on the lunch tray where they accidentally get tossed out, or husbands leaving their teeth on the counter where they could be knocked on the floor or wiped off the counter by rushed and unobservant cleaning crew).

Yep. Sorry I lost your name there in the quote. Deleted too fast.

of yours whether you want to admit that or not. I am so sorry that your husband's dentures got trashed but honestly they shouldn't have just been left on the bathroom counter. I wasn't in the cabin when the steward cleaned, and you weren't for that matter either. There is always the chance that they fell off the counter and broke. Maybe he/she didn't see them. It's unfortunate, but accidents do happen and people do make mistakes. As for the steward not coming to your room for two days, I can't comment on that, mainly because I find that so hard to believe. You would think that if he was "sick" that someone would have picked up his cabins....but what do I know? Poor guy might have felt terrible about what he did and was embarrassed to be seen by you or have any confrontation. He might have even been reprimanded and that's why you didn't see him for 2 days.

As someone else mentioned, did you happen to have travel insurance? I would think that is something you would definitely travel with.

It is an expensive lesson learned, and I agree that Royal should give some compensation, but I think the 50% is generous. Good luck!

Agreed.

I understand the denture issue, but don't muddy up your main issue with the other small issues. That is what makes many think you are just trying to find problems.

Any special reason you felt the need to sit in a wet dress? Couldn't you have gone and changed?

And if my steward did not show up, and I felt the need for service, I'd have called their supervisor.

I agree with all of this.

... it seems unlikely someone would see them and throw them away, I mean that is cruise service 101 right there. Likely they were wrapped in a paper towel or something similar. Which to be fair they still should have checked but....

No housekeeper should EVER be expected to or asked to inspect a wrapped up item in a bathroom. Yuck.

They definitely were not in a denture cup in the medicine cabinet!

Why does the wording of this make me think of bananas in a bowl?

Unfortunately I can't find the thread from a few years ago where a woman had a problem with lost jewelry because she kept all of her jewelry in the special gold jewelry container on the back of the bathroom cabinet door. But this thread reminds me of that.

Curious...never saw that thread. Gold container on the back of the cabinet door? Off to google.

It's not unreasonable to expect that leaving your dentures on the side of the sink wrapped in tissue might lead to them being thrown out by accident. I've never had dentures of any kind and even I know that it's a really stupid thing to do. I've actually done hotel housekeeping before, and trust me, nobody is inspecting what is in each balled up pile of tissues in the bathroom.

Yep.

First of all if I did have dentures I certainly wouldn't "leave" them on the sink for my cabin steward to find, secondly when I see a title like yours " Harmony Horrors" I'm immediately skeptical. The horror was self inflicted from the get go, take your 50% be happy and move on!!.....K.O.:rolleyes:

Agreed.

If the steward had seen them, they wouldn't have been thrown out! They had to have been concealed in some tissues or a washcloth.

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not blind but I through away my own darned retainer. Things happen when we don't put things in their correct places.

My dad has full dentures that he despises, rarely wears them, and he doesn't eat baby food. He eats normal food. Just takes him awhile and he takes small bites. Sandwiches and everything.

Yep

Yep. Sorry I lost your name there in the quote. Deleted too fast.

Agreed.

I agree with all of this.

No housekeeper should EVER be expected to or asked to inspect a wrapped up item in a bathroom. Yuck.

Why does the wording of this make me think of bananas in a bowl?

Curious...never saw that thread. Gold container on the back of the cabinet door? Off to google.

Yep.

Agreed.

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great comprehensive post and tells this unusual story perfectly.Well done.

I think if Royal had agreed to pay 50% for the lost dentures instead of offering 50% of another cruise, there wouldn't be a problem. Seems to me both parties have a hand in this problem.

Good point and shared blame.

I think if Royal had agreed to pay 50% for the lost dentures instead of offering 50% of another cruise, there wouldn't be a problem. Seems to me both parties have a hand in this problem.

So whenever someone wants to replace something.... cell phone, I-pod, camera, teeth, etc., all they need to do is throw it out, blame the cabin steward, and RCI will pay half of the replacement cost?

So whenever someone wants to replace something.... cell phone, I-pod, camera, teeth, etc., all they need to do is throw it out, blame the cabin steward, and RCI will pay half of the replacement cost?

Could you imagine the number of people who would claim that they had something of value thrown out by the cabin steward????? There would people saying I had my ten thousand dollar 18 carat gold grill for my mouth thrown out. It was left on the counter! The poor cabin stewards would be getting blamed for a lot of missing items if people figured the company would pay 50% of the replacement cost!

Having - for the first time - read the entire thread (not having sailed on the Harmony) here's my take.on it:

The OPs poor husband lost his denture (and the exact circumstances are to my eye unclear).

I do see folk around who clearly have dentures but choose not to wear them, but if it was me, then firstly,I can't envisage forgetting them and secondly deciding not to pop back to the cabin to get them.

Various other events happened, like the drink spilled.onto her dress. (So go and change...... I've had a serving plate of carrots spilled over my white tux, ship happens).... but as the OP was already upset over the dentures, these further incidents just added fuel to her fire.

The original tenor of the post was a mistake, but an easy one to make, especially for a newcomer to CC.

50% offer? Fabulous, I'd have snatched their hand off. Now.it's getting nasty and maybe litigious, the 50% maybe withdrawn.

Could you imagine the number of people who would claim that they had something of value thrown out by the cabin steward????? There would people saying I had my ten thousand dollar 18 carat gold grill for my mouth thrown out. It was left on the counter! The poor cabin stewards would be getting blamed for a lot of missing items if people figured the company would pay 50% of the replacement cost!

For this not to happen every cruise line installed safes in every room.

Wow at this rate there will be no cabin stewards​ left.

For this not to happen every cruise line installed safes in every room.

I am waiting for the influx of threads of people finding dentures in their cabin safes and wanting to return them to their rightful owners. :D

I am waiting for the influx of threads of people finding dentures in their cabin safes and wanting to return them to their rightful owners. :D

Perhaps not for the OP, but it seems to me, forgetting your teeth is a bit more obvious than something else.:cool: