A Small Matter

joeyancho

We took the California coastal cruise in the beginning of April. In San Francisco I bought some postcards and mailed them from the pursers desk. That was on April 3rd. As of today no one has received a postcard. What gives? Just so you know, this did not ruin my cruise or cause me to swear off Princess. No compensation required.

On a Coastal I would have mailed them myself as soon as I got onshore; abroad may well have been different and the Purser's Desk might be a good idea..

Saying that we did send one from the Post Office at the "End of the World"; Ushuaia, and it got to NZ in very good time.

...we did send one from the Post Office at the "End of the World"; Ushuaia, and it got to NZ in very good time.

Yes, but it was only going from the end of the world to the end of the world. ;p

On a Coastal I would have mailed them myself as soon as I got onshore; abroad may well have been different and the Purser's Desk might be a good idea..

Saying that we did send one from the Post Office at the "End of the World"; Ushuaia, and it got to NZ in very good time.

It's not so easy to mail a letter these days. Corner mailboxes no longer exist since 9/11/01. One must seek out a post office. Not exactly how I want to spend vacation time.

My husband likes to send postcards to the little grandkids who love getting mail addressed to them, however he waits and mails them when we get home. The kids don't know the difference! Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're done the same. ;p

It's not so easy to mail a letter these days. Corner mailboxes no longer exist since 9/11/01. One must seek out a post office. Not exactly how I want to spend vacation time.

Sorry, but even NYC has street mailboxes.

There are two in a parking lot maybe 1/8 mile from my house. Now if you want to mail a package you do have to go to the post office but not for a letter or a postcard.

It seems to me I've seen a number of threads from time to time about postcards mailed from the ship. People always seem to get back home long before the postcards are delivered.

Many years ago I sent postcards to my co-workers. Everyone got theirs except for one lady. She was SO upset that she could barely talk to me. She thought I was a liar and wanted to know why we weren't friends anymore since people I knew lesser of got one. About 3 or 4 months later her postcard arrived. I told you so! Same thing. They wait until they get enough then mail it all at once from whatever country they happen to be in.

Very rarely do postcards make it to their destination in a timely manner. Often I beat them home. Not sure why this happens, but more often than not.

I agree with you, but mailed April 3rd and today is May 11! That's a bit much!:o:confused::eek::(

My funny postal story occurred in Italy. When our grandchildren were 9 and 12 years old we sent each of them a post card, one from the Vatican and one from Rome. The cards mailed from the Vatican beat us home. The ones from Rome still haven't been delivered. The grands are 17 and 20 now.

When my MIL was still alive, my hubby liked sending her postcards. So we would ask around for the nearest post office where we could buy a stamp and send the card. The last cruise we went on while she was still alive was the Hawaiian one so I checked Yahoo local for post office addresses for each port so if he wanted to send one, we wouldn't have to rely on the ship mailing it.

We used to have a mailbox within an easy walk but one day it was removed (don't know if a vehicle hit it as it was on a major street or if it was removed to save on money). But now, I try to mail anything with a payment inside a post office as there's been problems with theft with outside boxes.