~ Who has seen Runner's / or Been One ?

JLvacation

~ Over our years of cruising we have seen and experienced some interesting things . Watching the late night runner's has always been a favorite past time of ours!

We have been runner's ~ never so late thou that we got left behind, however we have seen some sight's !

Leaving either Costa Maya / or Cozumel ~ lol ~ our cruises are running together !

Saw 4 people from our aft balcony as the ship pulled out of port and got left behind ! Not sure if they ever caught back up with the ship !

However when they say to bring a credit card / photo ID / and a camera ~ They aren't joking .

Because it will take the credit card and a photo ID to catch the ship in the next port if your lucky !

And you may as well take a never forget picture as the cruise ship is pulling away and your standing on the pier as it pulls away!

Have a nice day

J.L.

In St Lucia we saw a couple arrive late in a small boat near the shopping area. As the ship was gliding away from the pier they were sprinting through the port area. Pretty sad, don't know if they ever got on the ship but I don't think so, never saw a boat coming out and the ship didn't slow down like it was waiting for one. This was 6-7 years ago on Adventure or Brilliance.

We have seen runners but they were on a ship excursion so we were waiting for them anyway. Some of them looked panicked and others were taking their time oblivious to the delay they were causing.

RC policy is to leave passports of missing passengers behind with the port agent if the passports can be found in the room/safe.

We have seen runners but they were on a ship excursion so we were waiting for them anyway. Some of them looked panicked and others were taking their time oblivious to the delay they were causing.

RC policy is to leave passports of missing passengers behind with the port agent if the passports can be found in the room/safe.

Hmm didn't know they did that ! Either way we make it a point now to be a spectator !

Not a runner !

We have heard people over the years cruising , how as long as you book threw the cruise line, they will wait !

Private excursions / Sorry about your luck :D

The most painful sight was on our cruise on Explorer years back. It was a family of four, two little kids and they were all making this mad dash to try and catch the ship. The dad literally got on his knees as we pulled away from Cape Liberty and held his head in his hands; his wife started crying, one of the kids was bawling her eyes out.

While I can't tell for sure, my first thought was "they flew in on the same day as the cruise" which really is a HUGE mistake and I think most of us have learned from that. Airlines and airports simply are not reliable.

The most painful sight was on our cruise on Explorer years back. It was a family of four, two little kids and they were all making this mad dash to try and catch the ship. The dad literally got on his knees as we pulled away from Cape Liberty and held his head in his hands; his wife started crying, one of the kids was bawling her eyes out.

While I can't tell for sure, my first thought was "they flew in on the same day as the cruise" which really is a HUGE mistake and I think most of us have learned from that. Airlines and airports simply are not reliable.

That would definitely bite.

We always enjoy coming in early ! Just to be on the safe side as you pointed out , especially thou when cruising out of San Juan on the Adventure of the Seas!

I believe the popular term is Pier Runners.

We generally book cabins on the Port side. Seems this is the side of the ship that is used for docking and gangway. We generally try to have a drink and sit out on our balcony to watch the Pier Runners.

Ok / Thanks ! { Pier Runners make it sound nicer ! } :) some thou aren't really capable of even walking .

And yes watching others stumble / hurl & the next person stepping in it always make for some excitement ! Granted watching other's misfortune isn't always easy ! Have seen some face plant the concrete . and that's being mild & cruise critic appropriate.

None the less it is now something we enjoy watching / even more fun if there's more then one ship in port ! And both are attempting to board at the same late night time ! Mass confusion

I usually am early back to the ship, but once on Labadee several years ago, we took the afternoon adult sandbar excursion, and it arrived back late. [emoji24]

That would have been fine since obviously the whole group was late, but as soon as we arrived I had to run to the bathroom -- thank you, rum punch!

As if that wasn't bad enough, we made friends with a mom and daughter duo on the excursion, and mom enjoyed a little too much of the rum punch.... she was falling over, dropping her bags and belongings all over the pier. I was helping her walk up, and my friend was helping to grab her stuff.... we all were literally the last four people on the ship! It was very embarrassing [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24] but made for a funny experience haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually am early back to the ship, but once on Labadee several years ago, we took the afternoon adult sandbar excursion, and it arrived back late. [emoji24]

That would have been fine since obviously the whole group was late, but as soon as we arrived I had to run to the bathroom -- thank you, rum punch!

As if that wasn't bad enough, we made friends with a mom and daughter duo on the excursion, and mom enjoyed a little too much of the rum punch.... she was falling over, dropping her bags and belongings all over the pier. I was helping her walk up, and my friend was helping to grab her stuff.... we all were literally the last four people on the ship! It was very embarrassing [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24] but made for a funny experience haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure it's a laugh now when you think of it / probably was laughing then also ~ lol ~ ( Lesson learned thou , it's better to watch , then to actually be one } ~ We saw the rickshaw 's bringing a few people back on one night .. A female stumbled out .. made her way to the officer at the gangway . and they brought a few wheelchair out for the other people. At least they where sober enough to get a ride back to the ship instead of missing it .

We once saw a couple delivered to our departed ship by the pilot boat. They had to step from the moving pilot boat into the entrance "hole" of the moving cruise ship. That was a Thompson cruise back in the late 90s. Not sure if health and safety would allow that manoeuvre now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We once saw a couple delivered to our departed ship by the pilot boat. They had to step from the moving pilot boat into the entrance "hole" of the moving cruise ship. That was a Thompson cruise back in the late 90s. Not sure if health and safety would allow that manoeuvre now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We saw the same thing leaving Cozumel last year.

We were runners once at Halifax. Rented a car for the day, got back with what should have been plenty of time, but misjudged traffic and construction. My husband dropped me off to run to the ship while he tried to navigate back to the rental car place. I got on board 5 minutes before all aboard; but thankfully the busses for the official city tours sold through Royal were stuck in the same traffic we were. My husband got on board 20 minutes after all aboard, and there were still a few hundred people from official excursions making their way through port security.

Best one ever was a drunk who was racing back to the ship and ran straight into a dumpster -- FACE PLANT.

I like to listen for the announcement after the all aboard time "Will Mr & Mrs Smith please call guest services?" Usually lets you know how many we are waiting on.

I've never seen anyone left behind though.

We were leaving Bermuda once. I had just showered and settled in on the balcony with a book when the ship set sail. No more than two minutes later I realized the ship was backing up. I then heard people screaming and saw two teenage girls running toward the ship. I'm guessing the ship went back was because of their age and likely had hysterical parents onboard. Never before or since heard of a ship backing up.

First cruise. Second RCL excursion, we were the last 10 on the ship. I still do not know why we were late. We (our group) sat in the the shuttle van for 30 mins waiting to leave. This was a resort in Grand Cayman. Finally, the driver just left. As we approached the pier, a Royal rep w/ walkie talkie was waiting and confirmed our names etc. We were told to go straight to the ship, no stops, no shopping. We immediately headed that way. The last person on the ship was my daughter. She was cruising solo. Oddly, as we 'pinged' back in on the ship, her name was paged/broadcast over the load speakers requesting her to go to security. Which was right there! All they wanted was to confirm that she indeed was on the ship. Strange.... in that they did not page or request anyone else in our party but the female in a solo cabin. Ironically, our table mates spotted us, cheered/jeered us on and snapped a few pics too. Goodtimes.

We were leaving Bermuda once. I had just showered and settled in on the balcony with a book when the ship set sail. No more than two minutes later I realized the ship was backing up. I then heard people screaming and saw two teenage girls running toward the ship. I'm guessing the ship went back was because of their age and likely had hysterical parents onboard. Never before or since heard of a ship backing up.

We were on a Royal ship docked in Falmouth a couple of years ago. There were over 800 Taiwanese aboard. We were late leaving and the ship is paging two people. The ropes go down and we start moving out and forward. Here comes the two young adults. She is hysterical and he is just playing with his phone. The ship did go back to the dock, and they had to jump to the ship. First and only time we have seen that.

~ We actually did push back in once a few years back going out of Miami ~ Doubt they would do it now thou ! Was 2 Female and 1 Man ~ Was a little bit funny watching them trying to board threw the entrance we could see . Might of been crew getting on for all we knew ! Remember sitting on our port side balcony and pulling away / then felt us stop and pull back in which caught our interest !

Watched them basically stick 2 hands out from either side of the door and pulled them up an in ~ And off we went like nothing had ever happened! Doubt some people poolside even realized . :)

J.L.

Some feel watching "pier runners" is fun.

I find it hard to take pleasure in the discomfort of others. :(

Certainly a fair percentage deserve the discomfort. We see runners every cruise. It's a sideshow.

On one cruise, we had already thrown the lines and they were running and falling and running... found out later that they got drunk at a bar and forgot they had a departure time. I think that piece of knowledge made it all the way to the dishwashers.

I have read about them here and saw a few videos on Youtube. I actually watched for them in Cozumel the last time we were there. No runners. The lines were huge getting back on so the ship didn't have the choice of leaving all those people behind. We were late leaving. Another passenger was watching and told me that a whole line of RCCL cruisers were waiting in line to get on the Disney Wonder! Pretty hard to figure out which ship you belong on. If you came on a white ship, chances are they didn't paint it black while in port! :o

I did go back out to watch as we were preparing to leave and saw employees hand a dock employee a couple of suitcases, shut the door, and pushed back. I have no idea whose they were as the only people on the dock were workers. Off they trudged back towards land dragging the suitcases behind them. I never heard if the people were put off the ship, there was a medical emergency, or perhaps got into a little legal trouble in port. I've heard them paging pax at times but there were no announcements looking for anyone.

~ Over our years of cruising we have seen and experienced some interesting things . Watching the late night runner's has always been a favorite past time of ours!

We have been runner's ~ never so late thou that we got left behind, however we have seen some sight's !

Leaving either Costa Maya / or Cozumel ~ lol ~ our cruises are running together !

Saw 4 people from our aft balcony as the ship pulled out of port and got left behind ! Not sure if they ever caught back up with the ship !

However when they say to bring a credit card / photo ID / and a camera ~ They aren't joking .

Because it will take the credit card and a photo ID to catch the ship in the next port if your lucky !

And you may as well take a never forget picture as the cruise ship is pulling away and your standing on the pier as it pulls away!

Have a nice day

J.L.

we love watching the runners also, but it really hits when you see someone actually left behind. Then it is not funny anymore. We watched a couple miss the ship in St Lucia a year ago April. Saw the woman collapse on the dock. They could actually touch the ship they were so close but it had already pulled out. Yes, I know it is their own fault, but my heart went out to them. Found out the next day it cost them $1300 to fly to the next port.

We watched people miss the ship on our very first cruise in 1999. We were pulling away from the dock in Curacao when a man & woman carrying lots of shopping bags, came running up. Passengers on the ship were waving & yelling "bye bye" to them. The man looked angry and the woman looked upset.

The good news for them was our port the next day was Aruba which would be a very easy trip for them to catch up.

Anyway, it made me a believer in always returning on time!:D

Sherri:)

If you came on a white ship, chances are they didn't paint it black while in port! :o

Good one!

Of course after polishing off a few of those potent Cozumel drinks, you do tend to get a little color blind! :tropical-drink:

-Michael