Best Camera For Holland America Cruise??

Ellioott

Hello, this is my first post so if im doing anything wrong please say!

On July 28th I'm going on the holland America Alaska cruise, and I am very eager to get a camera which performs brilliant images of the fjords and glaciers, I've been looking at cameras, in particalur Bridge cameras and high-end compact cameras.

I've taken a liken to the Sony RX100 because second hand is an affordable price and I've seen many good reviews about it. However, before I jump to any conclusion I would like to know the communities opinion and personal experience. I'm preferably looking at at camera around the £200 price tag, I'm only a student so money doesn't come in leaps and bounds!

Thank you!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I am in the same situation. We have a decent compact camera with both mechanical and electronic zoom but it is a Nikon and uses a Nikon specific USB connector so the cables are hard to find if lost and they easily get mixed up with all our other USB cables. So we're just going to replace it with something newer and more standard. Considering Sony for sure but Nikon is totally out.

I used my Canon SX50 HS on the Voyage of the Vikings in 2015 and loved it. Also used it for our 66 day to Australia and New Zealand. The current model is the SX60 HS. Outstanding zoom features with image stabilization and easy to use video.

The last three times I bought a digital camera, I went to a couple of the sites that do camera reviews and searched for the top rated cameras from the PREVIOUS year. So, if you want a bridge/super zoom, look at k

the 2016 or 2015 best of list.

I wound up getting a refurbished camera from the previous model year at about $200 off the price of the current model.

I disagree. You don't want to be the guy with a camera rig so big and heavy that one needs to have one those photo bags that are strapped onto the user's body. The best camera is one that takes great photos but at the same time does not hinder one's ability to be mobile.

A camera that fits in a jacket pocket when not in use is ideal. Plus, you don't look so much like a tourist.

igraf

A $5000 Nikon or Canon DSLR would be nice.....
  • Like 1

Whatever camera you get won't matter as much as getting a good book that explains photography exposure. A lot of times in Alaska due to its many different lighting conditions, auto-mode just won't cut it. You can google "understanding exposure 4th edition" for an excellent introductory book on this.

I love the bridge cameras. That was my first digital, back when DSLRs were way too expensive. I "settled" for a bridge and discovered the freedom of a good zoom and not carrying around a ton of lenses! I currently have a Leica v-lux, and I'm very happy with it. Panasonic makes the same camera for a bit less, but the optics in the Leica are better. There are other brige cameras around, but the Leica is the only one with an option for a manual zoom. Funny thing is, its power zoom is so precise that I don't use the manual as much as I thought I would.

I agree with posters who say read reviews. Also, if you have a good camera store near you, go talk to them. If you have access to more than one store, talk to them all--different stores feature different companies.

The most important thing about your new camera is learn to use it! It's easy to leave it on automatic, but there are lots of specific scene settings plus manual settings that you can use to improve your pictures. If you don't want to bother to learn all of that, think about a good quality point and shoot.

One thing I strongly recommend if you go for compact or point and shoot is get one with a viewfinder. The big screen on the back is nice for some things, but in bright light it can be difficult to see what you're getting. I have a Canon waterproof for snorkeling, and it's nice to use as a pocket camera on land, but I hate that it doesn't have the viewfinder. (Hey, I'm old, I'm used to looking into the little hole on the back of the camera)

Also see if the camera you're considering has a "burst" setting. If your or your subject are moving (think whale watching!), you get a bunch of quick shots and you can pick out the best. Probably not a deal breaker, but a nice feature to have.

I strongly agree on both points. I personally would not buy a camera that does not have a built-in viewfinder.

igraf

[quote name=3rdGenCunarder;53058652...The most important thing about your new camera is learn to use it! It's easy to leave it on automatic' date=' but there are lots of specific scene settings plus manual settings that you can use to improve your pictures....

One thing I strongly recommend if you go for compact or point and shoot is get one with a viewfinder. The big screen on the back is nice for some things, but in bright light it can be difficult to see what you're getting.....[/quote]

I received the Panasonic ZS50 from my wife for Christmas for our upcoming Alaskan cruise.

Compact 12.1mp, 30x zoom, shoots in RAW and a very usable EVF. Currently on clearance in most places as they just released the ZS70 two weeks ago. The ZS60 should be coming down in price, too but they bumped the sensor up to 18.1mp on that one

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I currently have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50. I had a ZS25 before. Both are excellent cameras, IMO. They fit in a pocket, have super-long zooms, and take excellent photographs. There are a wide range of shooting modes. You can be creative if you want to, or put it on "Automatic" and simply point and shoot. The ZS50 has a viewfinder, which is fairly rare on such a small camera.

Check out the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ200. It's an older camera but with a fantastic lens that shoots at f2.8 thru the entire focal range. The FZ300 is similar but weatherproof

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree! Great choice if you can find it.

But more important - learn how to use any camera you get BEFORE you cruise!

I have a Panasonic DMC-ZS50 with the viewfinder. There are just too many times you can't see anything due to the glare on the screen. My sister uses it now, as she really needs a camera she can plaster to her face due to essential tremor. I replaced it with the Sony DSC HX80. It also has the viewfinder. Since there are newer models for both, you could probably get them for your price range. I gave up the SLR when I went digital. I had quite a number of bridge cameras, but these do just what I want now. EM

The best camera is the one that you have with you and that you will use. I personally have a Canon DSLR with several lenses which works well for me and what I generally do with my photography, but I sure took plenty of photos with my iphone too during my Alaska cruise last year, particularly for wide shots of glaciers (since the iphone lens is very wide angle). I wish I had had a longer focal length lens though; I maxed out at 250mm which was no bueno for most wildlife shots from the ship.

My mother has some sort of Canon bridge camera which I was sometimes jealous of because of the whole lugging around lenses issue. Her camera has great options for both manual and program control and a very wide zoom range from pretty wide angle to super telephoto. It's a great camera. But she doesn't really know how to operate it and very frustratingly refuses to read the camera manual. Her photo quality generally suffers as a result.

So please understand that buying a super-expensive camera will not automatically make you a great photographer; it's actually good that you have a relatively limited budget to work with. Learn a few photography basics including composition and exposure control, understand the particular camera you get including the features it has and how to manipulate the settings, and then PRACTICE--that will make you a better photographer. Definitely practice with your camera before you go on your big trip--you really don't want to miss a potentially amazing shot because you have no idea how your camera focuses or stops motion or whatever.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and are able to take fabulous photos with whichever model camera you decide to purchase! Oh, also don't forget to factor into your budget any accessories like SD cards, a case, a spare battery, and perhaps a filter or two--a circular polarizer will be particularly useful to help prevent glare and to improve color saturation, but again, you have to learn how to use this properly.

The best camera is the one that you have with you and that you will use. I personally have a Canon DSLR with several lenses which works well for me and what I generally do with my photography, but I sure took plenty of photos with my iphone too during my Alaska cruise last year, particularly for wide shots of glaciers (since the iphone lens is very wide angle). I wish I had had a longer focal length lens though; I maxed out at 250mm which was no bueno for most wildlife shots from the ship.

My mother has some sort of Canon bridge camera which I was sometimes jealous of because of the whole lugging around lenses issue. Her camera has great options for both manual and program control and a very wide zoom range from pretty wide angle to super telephoto. It's a great camera. But she doesn't really know how to operate it and very frustratingly refuses to read the camera manual. Her photo quality generally suffers as a result.

So please understand that buying a super-expensive camera will not automatically make you a great photographer; it's actually good that you have a relatively limited budget to work with. Learn a few photography basics including composition and exposure control, understand the particular camera you get including the features it has and how to manipulate the settings, and then PRACTICE--that will make you a better photographer. Definitely practice with your camera before you go on your big trip--you really don't want to miss a potentially amazing shot because you have no idea how your camera focuses or stops motion or whatever.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and are able to take fabulous photos with whichever model camera you decide to purchase! Oh, also don't forget to factor into your budget any accessories like SD cards, a case, a spare battery, and perhaps a filter or two--a circular polarizer will be particularly useful to help prevent glare and to improve color saturation, but again, you have to learn how to use this properly.

(bold is mine) This statement brought back memories. When we were on our honeymoon, DH and I both had our SLRs with us while we were out touring. A man who had one like mine started asking me questions about it. Did I like it, did I get good pictures from it, etc. He was on his honeymoon, and had bought the camera for that trip. He said he went into a camera store and said he didn't know anything about cameras but wanted a good one. I'm sure the salesperson's brain lit up with flashing $$$$$, and sold the man an expensive camera. But he knew nothing about it and I could tell he hadn't read any of the manual. He asked me if I knew what the switch marked S/A was. Spot meter or averaging meter is pretty basic info. I've always wondered if his pictures were any good. He'd probably have been better off with a little Instamatic (Yes, it was a lot of years ago!).

And I agree with the suggestion to practice. You know how, if you've had your car for a long time, you can zip through tight spaces because you know EXACTLY how big it is and how it works? It's almost an extension of your body? That's what practice with a camera does for you. You use it almost instinctively and that helps you get great shots.

I got a Nikkon coolpix b500 for my trip. Its point and shoot, and has an extremely good zoom. Thats what I wanted. I am a photographer for work, and we use very large and heavy DSLR cameras. I take hundreds of pictures a day and my wrists and hands are sore by the end of the a busy day. I dont want that on my vacation. Plus I have four kids and two of them are 8yo twins, and I dont want to have to be lugging around a heavy camera while im dealing with them. Also getting a go pro for our more adventurous stuff. Mainly so my 15yo can get video of me having a panic attack while we zip line. Because his dad thinks that would be hilarious. :')

A $5000 Nikon or Canon DSLR would be nice.....

The OP asked a reasonable question and you respond with a sarcastic remark. I can be sarcastic at times as some of you know but even remarks goes way above any responses that I have posted.

I will add that you need to factor some additional expenses into your purchase - spare batteries, several memory card(s).

You might also try reposting your message on the Digital Camera board on CC.

DON

• Like 1

The OP asked a reasonable question and you respond with a sarcastic remark. I can be sarcastic at times as some of you know but even remarks goes way above any responses that I have posted.

DON

Frankly, I took the quoted remark as an attempt at humor, not sarcasm.