Panama Canal Transit on the Nieuw Amsterdam Apr 9-25: A Deaf Perspective

DeafOnBoard

Typed out a long response, and CC decided to delete it just when i hit "post". So typing it out again... bear with me :) To start with, some general comments and then further posts will dive in deeper. As a Deaf passenger with low vision, I wanted to give that perspective as compared to the "regular" perspectives. So feel free to ask questions, share concerns and comments, and I will be glad to address them all.

Here we go!

First of all - I am Deaf, newly 30, low vision due to Usher Syndrome - combined deafness, vestibular issues, and retinis pigmentosa. American Sign Language (ASL) is my main mode of communication. Ocean liner aficionado, introvert, voracious reader. Writer in the process of penning several projects.

I do have bilateral cochlear implants - wore them inside the ship and on shore - but wisely took them off when I went out on deck - I didn't want to risk leaning over the railing and have them accidentally fall off - that'd be $7,000 per sound processor. Yeah... that'd be bad. I do hear everything but I can't always understand what I hear. I hear you all talking, but still need lipreading and / or signs to figure out the context. I do excellently with environmental sounds (ship whistles and alarms, for instance - hear them perfectly and can figure out which code the blasts stands for) and music (Adagio!)

Plus I had Bear, my longtime companion who's the same age as I and has been to half of the states in the US and many national parks. So it only made sense to drag him along for the ride - and to get intel for a future book I'm writing. (Visit his Instagram page at www.instagram.com/kaitlynandbear ). Quite a few pictures from our shipboard experience there!

"You're a bit young - why HAL?" Ocean liner aficionado here. I prefer ships that still look and act like ships - dark color hull, white superstructure, funnels, a wraparound teak promenade deck - which is required - with traditional deck chairs, afternoon tea, shuffleboard, and fixed dinnertime. I am not one for the "foo-foos" of on-land resorts that carries over to ships making them look and act less like ships (*eyes RC, NCL and Carnival*). I have sailed before on Carnival and found it too "busy" for me (sensitive to light, sound, crowds, and visual distractions). So that left Cunard and HAL as my choices (though I would make an exception for Disney - they do honor the old days with their decor and ship profile). I'm perfectly happy with a old fashioned deck chair on the Promenade Deck with a good book and the occasional game of shuffleboard. Can't afford Cunard at this point, and HAL plus the Panama Canal were on my bucket list - so glad to be able to cross two of them off!

Also, this trip was a replacement trip for my cancelled European tour last summer. The trip was set up with a Deaf agency and pulled at the last minute due to low sign-ups. ALL hearing land tours won't provide interpreters (falls outside ADA jurisdiction) and the "disability-friendly" tours generally don't accommodate Deaf well due to communication barriers instead of physical barriers. So that left cruising as an option. The Panama Canal worked well due to the fact that it had 2 US ports, which made it eligible for ADA accommodation - hence the interpreters and in-cabin visual alert system.

Did the 16 days Panama Canal crossing on the Nieuw Amsterdam from FLL to San Diego, Apr 9-25. In short, 14 beautiful sunny days and two "North Atlantic" days of overcast and choppy waves. Couldn't ask for better weather!

First of all, thanks to HAL for providing an ASL interpreter. However, one interpreter is not enough for such a long cruise - 16 days, and I had to cut back on my requests for interpretation to avoid burnout on the interpreter's part. Also, what happens when the interpreter is incapable of performing his/her duty due to circumstances out of our control? As was the case when the interpreter got food poisoning from the Lido and was out of commission for 36 hours, meaning I had zero access to communication during that time frame. Granted it was on a day where I lucky didn't have any shore excursions planned, but did have the behind-the-scenes ship tour scheduled. (Thankfully the on-board marketing department was able to add another ship tour to accommodate me on a later date when the interpreter recovered, but I still got a shortened tour instead of the full one that I paid for). I would strongly encourage a practice of hiring 2 interpreters instead of one to avoid those issues.

Also, I would encourage revisiting the compensation package for the interpreting services, as I had issues finding an interpreter that was willing to work for nothing, especially as competing cruise lines do pay the interpreter for their work (Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Carnival, Disney, etc).I encouraged HAL to reach out to several agencies and see what the current practice is. If HAL keeps up the practice of not paying interpreters, Deaf guests will be turned away and seek other cruise lines. (This is why HAL got a bad rap within the Deaf community for not being accommodating nor paying the interpreters while expecting them to work full days for free).

Moving on, the shipboard staff and crew have been fabulous regarding the communication front. I never had an issue onboard when it came to communicating with the staff/crew. My portable whiteboard and marker came in handy, and the staff/crew were more than happy to write back and forth or use gestures to ensure effective communication occurs. Special note for the waitstaff in the dining room - not only did they recognize me by face, but also remembered what I liked/disliked, and learned a few signs such as "coffee?" and made sure to write down anything they said, even before I pulled out my whiteboard and marker. Ditto with the staff working the Front Desk - I was especially glad when one of them turned out to know enough basic sign to ensure barrier-free communication occurred.

Carlos in the Showroom went above and beyond to making sure the interpreter had access to the show scripts, schedule, and rehearsals with the cast. Not only that, they never failed to remember to shine a light on the interpreter during a show - I never had to remind them to do so. Also, I got a special treat when they agreed to shine a light on the interpreter during a showing of "Rogue One" on the big screen after hearing that the in-cabin movie network had issues with the closed captioning. (As a fan of Star Wars, I was tickled to see it on the big screen, and even better, with an interpreter instead of captions for once).

That reminds me - contacted the tech department and/or the film distributors to check into the software for the in-cabin movie listings as the closed captioning was wonky at best. Half of the movie would caption properly, the other half, the captions would literally blink on/off so fast that it was impossible to read. (I checked with several films, both in my cabin and several neighboring cabins and they all had the same issues, leading me to believe it was a network issue and not a TV issue). I think the captions had timing issues as my iPad copy of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" captions worked beautifully, and the movie captions didn't match up, especially how long the captions stayed on screen. (Used that movie as I had seen it several times and was very familiar with it - hence a good "control" film to test it with!)

I would encourage research and development of a on-board texting app to be used on the ship. I had issues with ordering room service. If my (hearing) companion wasn't in the cabin, I was left with two choices - either walk downstairs to the Ocean Bar (closest public room) and place my order with the bartender who would phone it in (thank you Edgar!), or open my door and hope to catch one of the housekeeping staff working the hall and have them phone it in (thank you to whoever dropped their duty to do that - I regret that I did not catch their name). Having a onboard texting app would have resolved that issue for me and many other guests who can't use the in-cabin phone. It was especially problematic when I became sick one day and could barely dress and drag myself downstairs to Ocean Bar and have them call in tea and soup, and drag myself back upstairs and get back in bed.

Also, I would like to thank the shore excursions folks for making it possible for the interpreter to accompany me on those trips - we were especially lucky in Costa Rica (Walk in the Clouds) and Antigua (Past & Present Colonial Antigua) to be blessed with guides that understood the purpose of an ASL interpreter and made sure we were in the front of the bus so the interpreter could hear and replay their spiels and checked in with me to make sure I was getting the info I needed. (Natasha in CR and Erick in Antigua). I do hope HAL continues this practice of sending the interpreter ashore with the Deaf guests at their request.

On last thing - I would strongly discourage scheduling three major one-time only events on the same day/time. In doing the make-up ship tour, I missed out on On Deck for a Cause (had the shirt on and was ready) and the second Mariner's lunch. (There were two Mariner's lunches and I was invited to the second one). I was looking forward to doing all three, and unfortunately, the rescheduled ship tour took place at the same time as them. Just a small complaint on my part. (I was able to pick up my tile at a later time).

During the trip I filled out at least 15 comment cards with commendations towards particular staff/crew members, expressed several concerns and whatnot. I do hope they were useful, and the staff/crew got their commendations and thank-yous.

The ship library had copies of the Harry Potter books - which is VERY GOOD in my books! 50 points to whoever put them on the shelf - no library is complete without a set. (Okay, I confess - I'm still waiting for my belated Hogwarts letter to arrive!)

Next post: in-cabin accommodations, embarkation zoo, muster drill, deck life, vestibular issues, mealtimes, excursions, getting sick, riding the elevators for an hour, low-vision issues, etc.

• Like 1

Sailed with Edgar 2 yrs ago...great guy. Pleased that you had a nice cruise. My wife has hearing issues but with hearing aids can usually understand 60% of the time as long as there isn't much background noise. She can't hear on the ships phone either. We have mentioned on our surveys that a texting app would be greatly appreciated. Hope you and Bear have a great next cruise as well!

• Like 1

So enjoying your review!! How amazing for me to read from your point of view. Love the Nieuw Amsterdam, did a Med cruise twice and a Caribbean one. I hope you get a chance to try again and do a european

Cruise. I was amazed also that they had the Harry Potters books.

Looking forward to more of your reviews.

Happy Sailings

Denise:)

• Like 1

I'm back! As promised, the second part of my review!

Embarkation:

...was a zoo. Parents drove me to FLL, and the drop-off zone was chaotic. Dad was forced to drop off Mom and I and keep on driving after being yelled at. A porter approached me within twenty seconds and offered to take my suitcase, which I obliged - with a tip. It appears that not many people tip them, or don't tip them well as the gentleman was pleased with his offering that he asked if he could take my 12-pack of Coke too. I declined, after prior experience of it "disappearing" on a previous trip with another line. (Yes, that meant schlepping it through security but then I could check off "exercise" from the daily to-do list, eh?) There was no real clear signage of where to go (every open doorway was a false start until we eventually found the "back path" to the doors). For someone with low-vision (lack of peripheral vision), this was a headache as I was constantly scanning from side to side to make sure I didn't bump into someone by accident. Tiring at times, it is.

Mom accompanied me through security (well, until the metal scanner - she stood in line to keep me company). After the zoo outside, the security line was a breeze. My cochlear implant sound processors didn't set them off - yay! Then another (long) line for check-in. Bill assisted me, and I was glad for his help, for after checking in and getting my keycard, I realized that I would not be able to hear my group being called to embark the ship. Pointing this out, Bill conferred with his fellow agents, zigzagging across the room while I followed him. I was only expecting to be put in the special-needs section with the wheelchair users and slow walkers, like they do for flights.

Nope. Bill took me past that section, upstairs and bypassed the line of 4-star and 5-star Mariners waiting to board the ship after taking their picture and personally deposited me at the head of the gangway leading to the ship. It all happened so fast that I didn't even realize how "close" I was to the ship! After congratulating myself at my fortune, I showed my keycard and stepped onto the ship.

I would like to take a moment to apologize to the 4- and 5- star Mariners that I cut in front of - that was not my intention, that it was more than I expected!

But that meant I was greeted by several staff/crew with the VIP treatment. (I declined offers of assistance with my carryons, having already memorized the deck plans beforehand).

I will admit it, I did tear up. Been an ocean liner aficionado since age 9, and reading about ocean liners (including the Nieuw Amsterdam (2) and the Rotterdam (V) and wanting to be on a HAL ship. Oh and the wraparound promenade deck. So it was twenty years in the waiting. For my aunt, it was about the destinations, but for me, it was the ship that I wanted. Even if it were a cruise to nowhere, I still would be ecstatic about it! (I'm one of the few that actually prefers sea days over shore days... and lucky, due to skipping a few of the ports, I was able to work out a sea day -shore day- sea day schedule for the most part to rest and recuperate after the shore days (more on that in the next post). So yes, boarding the Nieuw Amsterdam felt like coming home.

The Cabin:

I traveled with my aunt (hearing) and we both agreed on an oceanview cabin. Given the option of cabins on Deck 1 and 4, we opted for 4 so I could be close as possible to my favorite spot on the ship - the outdoor promenade deck. So, hello cabin 4070! Also, being the ship nerd I was, I was overly excited about the view of a lifeboat outside our floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall window. (Basically a balcony cabin without the balcony). I know some people might balk at booking a lifeboat cabin, but I loved it. Still had a view over the boat, and there was a gap between the platforms so one could see the Promenade deck below and the water as well. I would use that gap to discern if we were moving or how big the whitecaps were.

The cabin it was far more roomier than the inside cabin I had on the Carnival ship. We had two twin beds, a bedside table for each bed (with a top, shelf, and two drawers), a love seat and coffee table, and a straight backed chair. The desk/vanity had an ottoman underneath as well as a cabinet and a minifridge. Closet space was ample - aunt took the two ends while I took the middle. She wasn't pleased with the "fact" that she couldn't hang up her clothes (due to the shelves in the way) until I showed her how the shelves folded back up to reveal - magic! - hanging space. (I got a dirty face after my snarky comment :) ).

Bathroom - very nice and well designed for a small space. Very glad to have a tub, and especially glad not to have a "blue plastic room"! The shelf under the sink was well thought out as I put my stuff down there while aunt took over the wall shelves. It did take us a while to find the hair dryer (found in cabinet in desk/vanity, not where I would have put it...). Light in bathroom bright, no issues seeing in there (I hate low-lit rooms as it makes it harder to see, especially if there is glare from the windows, if any).

Muster Drill:

Had to explain Port/Starboard to several people during the drill (ship nerd here, remember?) while I waited at my station, which was station 8. Much better run than Carnival. (On the Carnival Inspiration, no one told us that the Deaf group had their own muster station after pal and I showed up to Muster Station D in the dance club. Took awhile to figure out why there was no interpreter, only to find out that the Deaf passengers and interpreters were to muster in the conference room next to the dance club. So basically Da and Db...)

Luckily, interpreter was also assigned to the same station so no need to do fancy footwork to figure out what to do in a true emergency. The interpreter told the crew manning our station that she was an interpreter, that we have a Deaf passenger, etc, etc. The crew were chill about it - no panic or nervousness - they were like "oh, okay!" and allowed the interpreter to stand next to them during the spiel and demonstration. (I did have to gently guide people out of my path of view - folks kept stepping in between the interpreter and I, and I kept moving forward to the deck railing despite the crew asking us to step back to allow more room for other passengers.

Crew scanned keycards - there were several who had to re-scan their keycards after their room was called for "not showing up". Interpreter and I debated if they really "forgot" to scan, or *just* showed up... Quick, efficient, the way I like it. I liked having the drill held outside where the boat is. For some reason, I dislike indoor muster stations (depends on the venue, most likely for lighting conditions and "not being near the boats when it happens". There are pros and cons to indoor/outdoor musters, of course and I support both sides - just my preference for outdoor. BUT if it was in a colder climate, I would take the indoor muster, of course! We just happened to have a sunny beautiful day with a temperature that wasn't too hot.

Remembering my sailing on Carnival and the miscommunication among the staff/crew and Deaf passengers, I elected to ask for a muster station bracelet to expedite communication (separate post on that - check it out!). Got it, and deemed a genius by the officer and crew, I sported the very fashionable red #8 bracelet for the rest of the crossing! (My aunt remarked after seeing the crew eyeing it for the umpteenth time, that it was obvious which one of us would be rescued first - seems every staff or crew who glanced at my bracelet would mentally store the note for reference). If nothing, it was a peace of mind knowing I had a backup to the backup plan of the backup.

Name Signs:

In Deaf culture, name signs are assigned to people/places/particular items, especially to avoid fingerspelling it multiple times which can be tiring. So, what sign did the Nieuw Amsterdam get?

First all, there is already an established name sign for the city of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. In ASL, we use the NGT (Dutch Sign Language) version. Link to a video of the sign can be found here:https://www.lerengebaren.nl/gebaarfilm/Amsterdam/

But this was the Nieuw Amsterdam, not the Amsterdam. Not knowing the NGT sign for "nieuw", we used the ASL sign for "new" instead, as a placeholder until we could learn the sign for "nieuw". Link to the ASL sign: https://www.handspeak.com/word/search/index.php?id=1484

Upon returning, we found the sign for "nieuw" - https://www.lerengebaren.nl/gebaarfilm/Nieuw/

So basically, New Amsterdam. Now - how do we differ the NA4 from its three predecessors? Since the sign for "Amsterdam" is used with the index fingers, we decided that would be the NA1. the second being signed with 2 fingers (the commonplace gesture for peace/victory), thus the NA2. Third with three fingers, and now the current one with four fingers ending with "New 4-Amsterdam". This method would work until the tenth Nieuw Amsterdam (due to the rule of 9 in ASL) then it's back to 1NA-the tenth instead.

Now, what about the other HAL ships? They do spring up in discussion, and the interpreter did not want to keep misspelling the Koningsdam. Some were easy - such as Koningsdam, Prinsendam, Amsterdam, Eurodam, and the Vista class. So, we now had the King-boat, Prince-boat, Amsterdam, Euro-boat, North-boat, West-boat, East-boat (but with the "O" handshape instead of the "E"), and the Z-damn. (Upon returning, we consulted a NGT dictionary to find the Dutch signs for those and adapted the name signs to match up with the Dutch names instead). Then, what do about the "dam" ending? Either "boat" (for now, as a placeholder), or "damn", to poke fun at the "dam(n)" ships. So either way, would be "King+boat" or "King+damn". (This especially worked well for the Zuiderdam - Z-damn in a southward movement).

We also adopted the NGT sign for Rotterdam as well. Another one checked off!

We haven't figured out what to do with the Maasdam, Veendam, Statendam (we did use state+boat for awhile), Ryndam, Zaandam, and the Volendam just yet. (Dutch speakers out there, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm still waiting on my buddy who knows NGT to see if they already had something). (In a pinch, we went with M-boat, V-boat, State-boat, River-boat, Z-AA-N-boat (not to confuse with the Zuiderdam), and "Other V-boat" for Volendam since Veendam came up in conversation more often than the Volendam. Poor Volendam!) Then there's the New state-boat too :) I promise those temporary signs will eventually get better - so suggestions are welcome! Will have to find the sign for Rhine for the Ryndam...

Okay, that part might have been a bit too technical for some folks... :) Moving on!

Instagram:

For those who haven't checked out Bear's Instagram page for several photos from the Nieuw Amsterdam - they include the following: Bear overlooking Antigua from the restaurant/hotel; Bear and I peering over the ship's side to see the canal; Bear and I in the Crow's Nest; Bear shooting cannons at tourists at HMC; Bear eating a Panama roll; Bear smelling a flower in Guatemala; Bear getting ready for a shore ex by sitting inside my backpack; Bear at the bow of the ship during the canal transit; Bear with one of his new towel pals, a koala bear; Bear looking up at the funnels; Bear on a bed of tulips (Deck 1); Bear and I sitting on our favorite deck chair on the Promenade Deck. They all are lateposts as they were posted after disembarking the ship due to wifi issues.

Next post: the promenade deck, the rest of the ship review, dinner, tours, sickness, balance, elevator fun, low-vision incidents, and so on.

For those not on Instagram, here's Bear:

32c689c74d11388c2c711a2bd8bf19c3.jpg

a023b791f294ee3d64befcf44e5d722e.jpg

The National Institute of Cheer highly approves of blogging bears.

Thanks for posting that, POA. It completes the mental image.

• Like 1

We were on the same cruise with you and even the same muster station. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your comments. Loved seeing the bear.

Oh, were looking for you at the meet and mingle event. Too bad you couldn't make it.

• Like 1

My husband and I were on the same cruise as the OP and often noticed the signer at work.

I am curious about the statement that HAL provides signers but that they are unpaid, unlike on some other lines. Who does pay them? Are they volunteers who are given a complimentary cabin?

• Like 1

I am so pleased to find your posts about your cruise experience. I had hoped to meet you at the M&G but was busy and then got involved with conversation and forgot to look for you. It sounds to me like you enjoyed your Panama Canal transit and the HAL experience in general. Thanks for the extensive info and educational bits you are including. I'm looking forward to "the rest of the story".

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello all, 

I came to revisit my post and realized that I never completed my write-up! Apologies to those who waited and were not rewarded with the rest of the details. It's been three years and I still remember that particular crossing. 

(Note: I am posting under a new name due to cyberbullying that made me abandon my prior one, and one of the reason why I was off the boards for a few years. Hopefully the experience will be better this time around). 

If there are folks that are still interested in "the rest of the tale", I'd be happy to complete this one. (Won't be hard to do so as I have my journal and copious notes). In fact, I am turning this adventure into a book, so hence the reason for "research" through my old post for the nostalgic reminders. 

Hope everyone is doing well considering the things going on in the world around us. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PromenadeDeckWriter said:

Hello all, 

I came to revisit my post and realized that I never completed my write-up! Apologies to those who waited and were not rewarded with the rest of the details. It's been three years and I still remember that particular crossing. 

(Note: I am posting under a new name due to cyberbullying that made me abandon my prior one, and one of the reason why I was off the boards for a few years. Hopefully the experience will be better this time around). 

If there are folks that are still interested in "the rest of the tale", I'd be happy to complete this one. (Won't be hard to do so as I have my journal and copious notes). In fact, I am turning this adventure into a book, so hence the reason for "research" through my old post for the nostalgic reminders. 

Hope everyone is doing well considering the things going on in the world around us. 

I would love to see the rest of the tale.   We loved the cruise and all the people we met and spent time with.  Hard to believe it has been 3 years.   Hal 

• Like 1

I was on that cruise.  I remember you and your interpreter, or signer, especially during the shows in the theatre.  We were already on the ship so avoided the screw up for embarkation in FLL. 
I would love to hear more on how HAL provides signers, see the question in post #15.  How are they compensated? 

Edited by T8NCruise
typo
  • Like 1

Glad to have the faithful readers back! 

I'll start with the interpreter (terp) question first before moving on with the rest of the review. To start with, HAL does have an antiquated approach to accessibility, especially when Deaf passengers and ASL interpreters are concerned. There is no blanket form of access agreement for interpreters at sea, as it differs from line to line (even within the same parent company). RCI, for instance, has the reputation among Deaf folks for having the best - daily stipend of $100-125ish, some OBC, travel to/from port, and FFC towards a future cruise. Others go through a travel agency for accessibility, and might only cover a daily stipend and gratuities, with the terps having to travel to/from port on their own.

At first HAL only offered a free cabin and covered gratuities. Meaning the terp had to work 16 days for free? After much negotiations, we got it to free cabin, FFC at a flat fee of $1400 (less than 100 a day) total, gratuities, travel to/from port, and shore excursions (meaning the terp got a place on any and all the ones i do through the ship. None of the on your own ones. No daily stipend.They also had me find the terps for them (instead of going through an interpreter agency). I lucked out and scored one that I already knew (she later confessed to me that had it been someone else, she would have not accepted the job, but knowing it was me making the request, took it on even though it might meant she lost work in those 16 days). Even so, HAL has.a reputation for not being "Deaf friendly" due to the antiquated philosophy that Deaf people are responsible for bringing their own terps and covering their passage, while RCI, NCL, and Disney are all about for access on whatever level it takes to ensure the Deaf guest has full communication access on board (always in pairs of two teams and more, depending on the number of Deaf folks that signed up to sail). Even so, the terp had a hard time using her FFC on another sailing a few months later, and told me that she would not do a direct hire through them again. "Only through a reputable interpreter or accessibility agency" to protect the terp and client (me). 

For comparison, a freelance terp can make anywhere from $20-50 per hour, with the average being $25/hour. That's the going-pay on land. The sea has not caught up yet. So that 1400 FFC? Let's say I had the terp work 5-8 hours a day, for 16 days. If we followed the lowest pay scale at $20/hr, it would come to 20x5, or $100/day (the lowest number of hours per day) and it would amount to 1600 at the bare minimum. The full 8 hours? (Some days were full 8 hours like the canal transit day, and the shore excursion days), it could have been 2560. Hence the flat rate set by RCI at 100-125 a day, or about 5-6 hours. Hence terps are getting shortchanged on work they do, and why we usually get the "newbie" terps that might not know better (or have the experience to). 

For me - would I do it again, going through HAL to get the interpreter access and doing 90% of the legwork myself? No. I'd refer them to an accessibility travel agency and have them iron out the interpreter details between themselves. Would I sail again with HAL if they changed their philosophy? Absolutely. I have no interest in sailing with RCI or NCL (too flashy, too many people, and not enough open deck space) despite them being the "easiest" to get access covered. I felt bad for the interpreter working solo 16 days in a row without a team, and made without for several of those days after she got food poisoning and was out of commission. A second terp would have avoided being without communication access. 

(I did luck out and ran into a retired Canadian interpreter and did tea with her a few times. So interesting to see the differences of ASL and the Canadian dialect of ASL (and the little LSQ that she knew - Quebecois Sign Language).

Ideal situation would be the client (me) asking HAL for access. HAL confirms, and contacts outside agency to arrange said access; and confirms with me that access is covered. I show up to the ship rest assured knowing there are 2 terps ready and waiting for my highlighted schedules on a daily basis of what I want interpreted.

I do have ammo for if/when my request is denied - I simply point them to the lawsuit on RCI for their handling of communication with Deaf passengers on Anthem of the Seas during the hurricane. 

But then, there's the quality of the terps that take the job. I have had great ones (HAL) and not so great ones (Carnival was a hit and miss with the 6 terps on the sailing I went on - 2 were great, 2 were fine - warm bodies that can sign - and 2 saw it as a "free vacation" and did as little interpreting as possible, preferring to sun by the pool with a cocktail. I did report them, though. But it did get challenging with 6 terps and 30 Deaf passengers. For the most part, they all stuck together (I was the loner - I didn't care for "Hairy Chest Contest" or "90s Dance Party" or the other activities that were hosted, preferring to find a quiet spot (by the lifeboat loading stations that are hidden on the Fantasy class ships) and/or play shuffleboard. This is one Millennial that prefers the "classic" form of sailing and have zero interest in partying and/or drinking. Wine with dinner? Of course! Getting drunk? Not my thing. So it became a question of which terp goes with which passenger, and do we have enough terps to cover all activities. Being the odd one, I usually got short changed, with the terps going to the larger groups first (the 4 that want comedy club? Sure! The six that want the Dance Party? Of course! The lone passenger that wants tea in the music room? Ehh.... let's cover the pool party folks first. Eventually it got so to the point where the terps would fight for the teatime slot just to get an hour to relax, knowing I was not a "very demanding" client and know that the reciprocity goes both ways with me looking out for their well-beings as well. Terps are human, not automatons, after all!) 

Like I said... the answer is, it depends. 

And now back to the show 🙂

• Like 2

I have very much enjoyed your review so far, and I'm so glad you've come back to finish "the rest of the story". The Panama Canal is on my cruise bucket-list. 

• Like 1

I'm very interested in not only your experience, but Bear's experience. My bears are seasoned cruisers, but are always curious to see if other bears receive the same kind of treatment on the cruises. (Staff are exceptional, other passengers can be it or miss.)

• Like 1

Hello again, and happy Friday! 

Some little nuggets and and thoughts (if there is a subject you would like covered, let me know. Yes - I will include Bear as well.)

The MDR versus the Lido: 

Nine out of ten times I dined in the MDR and avoided the Lido unless impossible to do so due to scheduling (specifically early port days where we had to leave for tours before the MDR was open). I went with traditional dining times - I liked to have a set schedule and know my table was ready, where my table would be, and not have to "relearn the ropes" on a daily basis. What do I mean by this? Imagine you're me, in the Lido. Before you take a step in, you're already brushed by folks that you didn't see coming. You berate yourself for not noticing them, even though they didn't "magically appear out of thin air" to annoy you. Next, you scan the room in a sweeping pattern. Left - center - right - center - left. Just when you think it's safe to step, a person brushes by or there's a new obstacle. You manage to get your food, and now to find a table. The glare from the window makes it difficult to see in the hazy light where an available table might be. You stand frozen to the spot, off to the side not to disrupt walk path traffic. You see a table and repeat the scanning again and only venture when you're absolutely sure the coast is clear - but them bam. You're knocked aside by a newly un-invisible person. You look up, and the table is occupied. Repeat. Finally you sink in a chair at a table that hasn't be cleared because you're already visually EXHAUSTED. This is where you seriously rethink not using the cane that blind and low vision folks use. But then, you don't meet the accepted definition of "blind" since your central vision is still amazing sharp, even better than the average person. It's your peripheral vision that is shot. (But it's not a "dark shadow" - no dark zones of nothing. It's just... what it is? Hence the reason you were late diagnosed at age 21 compared to the average 10 years old). So you don't "appear" blind to the average person. 

In short the Lido was a grueling workout that left me more annoyed at myself. (I'm the stubborn gal that doesn't want to ask for help, but knows help will be graciously offered if asked).

Now - the MDR. You waltz in and say hello the the maitre'd who recognizes you. They wait until you navigate around the podium, albeit slower and more cautiously than the average person. They act as a bulldozer, clearing the path for me while I walk in his wake. Your table is only a few yards in, and against a wall without a window, and ample light overhead. It is nested in a crook, a corner table with four tables. After nodding a thank-you to the matire'd and you note that you are the first to arrive. Excellent! That means you had first dibs. You look around and note there is a window to the starboard side, and a window on the aft side. The port side is all wall. You choose to sit with your back facing the aft window. You sit on the corner side facing the aisile, and make your two companions (aunt and interpreter) sit on the opposite side so you can sit at angle with the starboard window on the side and not in your direct line of view. This arrangement provides excellent sight-lines and no "backlighting" - when a person stands/sit in front of a window, they are rendered black shadows and VERY difficult to see their hands signing. 

The waiters all know you by name, and they know exactly what you like. There is no communication guesswork, as the interpreter is right there, and the waitstaff have learned a few basic signs (water, coffee, wine, more, yes, no, etc). When in doubt, we all resort to Troll language - pointing and facial expressions. So much more pleasant than the Lido, and less work on my part so I can redirect my energies to other activities. 

(Bear took the empty seat next to me). Even when I venture to the MDR for breakfast and lunch without set times, the waitstaff all recognized me and would go out of their way to make sure I was settled in - oftentimes asking which table I would like, and after a few days, knowing which sections worked and which ones had problematic sight lines.) It was especially comical when I would sit at a table, facing the center of the room, and a waiter would be on the opposite side. They'd look up and see me watching. I'd sign "More coffee please", and they'd copy "Coffee?" and nodding and bring me the coffee. So much easier than hearing people shouting across the room. One of the benefits of sign language, being able to communicate across large rooms (and through glass windows too! I did that at the Ocean Bar when I spotted the interpreter walking around the Promenade Deck and I sitting inside in a booth. Had a lengthy conversation before she came inside to join for tea). 

Starting out with a Bang and how I got dumped by Mr. Mangrove and Henry: 

I received two injuries in the 16 days (i am not counting bug bites, bruises, or blisters - only actual injuries that required medical attention). Both were minor, and both happened on the SAME day - the day we made port at Half Moon Cay. Whenever I tell this story, no one believes me that I got an injury ON THE WAY to report the first injury which occurred on the island. Here goes. I took an easy day off, and made a beach day out of it. I'm not a swimmer - per se - but a shallows-walker. I enjoy walking in the lapping water on shore, rarely going over my knees. After a leisurely walk down the coastline and marveling at the 30 shades of blues and greens (and a somewhat bioluminescent layer too) that my phone failed to capture accurately, I decided to head up to the "upstairs" paved paths. (For someone with shoddy balance, walking on sand is difficult, Hard-packed wet sand, great. Dry fluffy sand? Feels like trying to walk on a mattress. I may have looked drunk, but I assure you I did not have a drop of alcohol in me.

Now - the closest stairs where I was were the ones leading up to the "Wish You Were Here" sign. Approaching it, I was dismayed to see the railing did not start on the first step, but rather, two or three steps up. I needed the railing to keep my balance in check. Determined, I reached for it, and slipped in the powdery sand. This is when I was introduced to Mangrove. Mangrove did not like me. How I know this? Mangrove decided to insult my presence by poking its extra tough and sharp branch into my arm, as if vaccinating me against whatever disease mangroves might carry. The wound itself was not deep - just enough to annoy me like a paper clip would. A cut and a swipe. I glared at Mangrove, and Mangrove acted as if they didn't care - that I was the one in the wrong for infringing on their presence. Somehow I made up the stairs, to the bar. I scribbled out on my white board with marker, what happened, and where the first aid station was. The bartender looked at my arm, and winced. After giving me instructions (via a drawn map on my board), he also filled up a cup of ice for me to press on my arm, and some ice water in a second cup "for the road". 

Found the first aid station, wiped my "slate" clean and wrote out the incident. Nurse looked at my arm and shook her head. (she did laugh at my epic description of how I lost the fight with Mangrove). Cleaned it up, put antiseptic on it, the largest band aid on it (plus several more "for the road"). Asked if I wanted to go back to the ship - they'd find someone to accompany me if I would like?) "Nah, I'm good to go! Grinning, I left them looking bewildered - I guess people who get hurt sometimes put on entitled airs and make a mountain out of a molehill? That they found my case anti-climatic and that I was ready to "carry on"? 

Had lunch at the picnic, and found the interpreter. We made our way back to the ship (and I had promised the island nurse that I would check in with the ship doctor when I got back). After dropping out stuff in our cabins, we waked down the corridor and ran into the housekeeping director (whom both of us had made friends with, asking about his ham radio hobby). Director noticed the red welts on my arm with a concerned look. I waved him off, saying it was nothing. He stressed that I should see the doctor, and that he would more than happy to lead the way. Remembering my promise, I agreed and set off down the corridor after him and the interpreter. 

What happened would fit nicely in a comedy of errors. So the two of them were walking slightly ahead of me,  with me a few feet behind. I was watching the interpreter chat with the director, and all of a sudden, they disappeared and the world turned upside down. One moment I was walking, and the next moment I was sitting on the ground, completely bewildered and wondering what had just happened. I looked up to see them, standing over me and concerned, asking if I was all right. Why wouldn't I be? Still processing, I looked to my side and saw an orange blob with a black hat and tubing coming out said nose. Orange blob had a face that was grinning at me. Why was there a plastic head grinning at me. My eyes followed the tube and saw that it was a vacuum. A very adorable vacuum. One that I was now annoyed at for having darted through an open door (most likely by cleaning crew). Piece by piece I put it together, and by description by the interpreter and director, I'd had an epic wipeout. Somehow I had tripped over the vacuum, tumbled heads over heels, and managed to tumble into a seated position. How did I not break a bone doing this, I shall not know. (But I was carrying Bear, and we suspect Bear got squished in the process, thus breaking my fall). I truly have no recollection of how and exactly I did a perfect prat-tumble and came up daisies. Both the director and interpreter were STUNNED that I just brushed myself off and stood up, and continued on walking as if nothing happened. "You say it was this way?" 

Down in the medical center, they asked me to fill out the form for injury. I asked "Which injury?"

"There's more than one injury?"

"Yes. One on the island, and one on the way here." 

"On the way here? You got injured on the way from seeking attention for the first injury?" 

"Yes." 

"Oookkkay.... " (hands me a second clipboard for the second injury. Had to fill out TWO forms.). 

The nurse that saw me, heard my tale of two injuries (after chuckling at the epic description of the perfect prat-tumble), deemed that the first injury was deep enough to warrant keeping it bandaged for a few days, plus smelling-stuff that went on red but dried clear. Stung but felt so much better a few minutes later. The second injury, on the opposite arm (which I did not notice) was minor - just carpet burns and a nice scratch from the plastic head cap on the "Henry". (Yes, that vacuum HAD a name. I looked it up). 

For the rest of the trip I made glare-eyes at "Henry" whenever I saw him (or his clones) in the corridor. So that's how I met Mangrove and Henry, both on the same day, and got dumped by both, on the same day. 

I did return to the cabin after dinner to find a very nice note of concern "of your accident" and a plateful of very fancy chocolate which I enjoyed over a few days. A very nice touch. 

More to come in the next installment. 

• Like 2