Boatyard vs. Harbour Lights?

Darth Yankee

Family with 4 boys (18,16,14,&8) deciding between Boatyard and Harbour Lights. Anyone done both and has a recommendations. Leaning to Harbour Lights based solely on - what appears to be - a better turtle tour. Any advise would be helpful. Is the turtle tour way better - is it tour company or just a Harbor Lights owned boat tour? Seeing turtles is a priority for the 14 & 8 year old.

Thanks!

We took two of our grandsons (9 & 11) to the boatyard last summer and they had a great time. Rope swing, dive off pier, water rafts and they provide a boat to the turtle swim. Nice sand with loungers and umbrella and return transportation all included. As seniors, we are going there from the Equinox this coming week and have been there at least a half dozen timesprior to this.

Hal

Having same dilemma . . . travelling with my DH and sons, 19, 16, 14. From what I've been able to research, the Boatyard has the ocean trampoline, rope swing, etc. but will not allow you to use the independent jet ski operators.

Harbor Lights is slightly less expensive and has the jet ski opportunity.

Both have the turtle tour, showers, food and drinks.

If anyone has any other pros/cons, I'd be interested in hearing them too.

When we were at the boatyard they warned us about using any motorized tours offered by the beach vendors, which I think is mostly a liability thing. The wave runner guys were parked under the Boatyard pier and we saw several of Boatyard customers renting them with no problems from the staff. Your call!

We've never been to either place before. I notice that the Boatyard's web site doesn't guarantee you'll get a lounge chair (whereas you can book Harbor Lights in advance). I'm sure it can vary with the number of ships in port, and how early you arrive, but has anyone experienced any problem getting a lounge chair and umbrella at the Boatyard?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot book Boatyard through your cruise line. Grab a taxi at the port ($5 each) or walk 20+ min. Pay your admission fee, get your wrist bands, grab some lounge chairs, and enjoy your free drink, etc.

Just read on the cruise website that their beach day is to Harbour lights, £23 includes a drink but not sure about chairs etc..

Any advice regarding cruise organised tour over DIY to Boatyard from you fantastic people would be very welcome?

I would like to go out and see the turtles, I believe this is included in the admission at BY but will be pay extra at HL.

There are 4 of us and we are first time cruisers and not sure whether sticking with organised tours will be best. I'm happy to go it alone, but need to convince my fellow travelers. Please give me your honest opinions so I can share. Many thanks in advance for your replies :-)

Barbados is safe and the taxis are fairly well organized - you may wait a few minutes for the van to fill with other passengers. It is a short ride to Boatyard or HL. You can check prices on-line for both.

Cab fare there should be $5 per person (plus tips); Boatyard admission fee includes your taxi ride back to the ship (please tip the driver).

23 pounds per person works out to about $30+ -- you can likely do this on your own cheaper and control when you want to come & go.

If any of this helps you owe me a pint - bitter please! :)

I have only been the the boatyard, so can't compare. But, if you want to see how our day went there, including the boat ride out to the turtles, I have a full review, listed in my signature line, with TONS of pictures. :)

As a transplanted Sooner I'm happy to help - you cannot book the Boatyard in advance. Check the web site for details on their package for cruise passengers.

Boomer-Sooner! :cool:

Do you book the boatyard in advance?

Nope, just show up and pay the admission and you are good to go. The sooner you arrive, the better prime location you'll get. If you are going on their boat tour to swim with the turtles, sign up for the earliest ride out and there will be less people and hungry turtles (which mean more).

I have only been the the boatyard, so can't compare. But, if you want to see how our day went there, including the boat ride out to the turtles, I have a full review, listed in my signature line, with TONS of pictures. :)

Kim, Just reread your review [emoji3]and have a few questions if you don't mind. (Or anyone who has knowledge!!)

You mentioned you packed up a cooler bag for the day. The Boatyard was ok with bringing outside beverages/snacks?

Do you remember what time the place started to get crowded, or were there always chairs available? Heading over early August, so I do not think there will be many ships in port.

I think we may walk over. Anyone hear of any bad experiences doing so?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kim, Just reread your review [emoji3]and have a few questions if you don't mind. (Or anyone who has knowledge!!)

You mentioned you packed up a cooler bag for the day. The Boatyard was ok with bringing outside beverages/snacks?

Do you remember what time the place started to get crowded, or were there always chairs available? Heading over early August, so I do not think there will be many ships in port.

Thanks!

No, actually they do not allow outside beverages or food, but I was unaware of that when I brought it. I just kept it in my beach bag and discretely nursed a few cans of pop I had in there (we also bought some from them as well).

There seemed to be places to sit all day long (and remember, they have 2 sides) but I didn't notice it starting to get too busy until about 1 hour before we left (and it seemed like a lot of the people were employees from the ship that came later) and still, it was not my definition of busy.

Just remember, they spread those chairs out and you are not stacked up on top of each other like a lot of other beaches we have been to does.

P8182084%20copy-L.jpg

Thanks!

Lots of folks walk over and we saw a group of joggers from our ship run past the place. Turn right out of the port, keep the water on your right, and you should be there in about 15-20+ min.

• 4 weeks later...
Just read on the cruise website that their beach day is to Harbour lights, £23 includes a drink but not sure about chairs etc..

Any advice regarding cruise organised tour over DIY to Boatyard from you fantastic people would be very welcome?

I would like to go out and see the turtles, I believe this is included in the admission at BY but will be pay extra at HL.

There are 4 of us and we are first time cruisers and not sure whether sticking with organised tours will be best. I'm happy to go it alone, but need to convince my fellow travelers. Please give me your honest opinions so I can share. Many thanks in advance for your replies :-)

Hi we are on the same cruise. We will take a taxi probably to Harbour Lights. These are DIY beach destinations. The ship organized beach tours are usually too expensive and sometimes they don't even have enough chairs for you. Barbados is a beautiful island but we've toured there many times just never gone to either beach club.